The final issue of Connected

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Mark B

Re: The final issue of Connected

Post by Mark B »

Really shame about the magazine. It was great seeing all our fantastic looking cars from the club in print and reading about the events and people’s stories and opinions.

On a different subject is there an MMA car window sticker? Would be good to publicise the club when out and about at events.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

The membership cost is in my mind anyway very reasonable and not an issue as far as I'm concerned.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Derek

Post by Derek »

This isn't the end of the club or the forum, It's just the mag, you'll still be able to get Q&A here, post your pics, tell your stories and much more, chin up it's not the end.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

I'm sorry to see the mag go. I haven't had a chance to read the last issue yet as I've been spending most of my spare time in garage working on the Charger but I will read it soon. Same thing with my Cortina club mag.

I do think that the mag is the best it's ever been so thanks to all that put it together and contributed to it.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Very sorry to see the magazine go and echo others sentiments about the effort and time put into it over many years, I have always looked forward to reading the articles and scanning the fantastic range of pictures. I also understand the need to protect what is precious too. Personally I don’t feel the subscription is too much and would be happy for it to continue at the current level and am surprised we haven’t had an increase in recent times.

Thanks again to everyone involved in Connected.
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Yes, sorry to hear that was the final issue. Always an excellent mag. Well done to everyone involved in putting it together and the contributers. :thumbright:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

gmopar59 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 20 9:16 am Yes, sorry to hear that was the final issue. Always an excellent mag. Well done to everyone involved in putting it together and the contributers. :thumbright:

Hold on there's still one (or two?) more... :)

MattH wrote: Mon Feb 03, 20 2:31 pm Just in case MMA members hadn't seen this in Connected magazine....... ".....with great regret, the MMA “Connected Magazine” will cease publication shortly, and the last Edition will be in Spring 2020."
morgan

Post by morgan »

Ooh ! We better get writing. I'm calling mine 'confessions of an automotive luddite'.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Post by Pete »

morgan wrote: Fri Feb 07, 20 10:35 am Ooh ! We better get writing. I'm calling mine 'confessions of an automotive luddite'.
Deadline is the end of next week for material, chap.... :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm sorry to see it go too, but I understand the decision in this digital age. Is it an option to make it an online magazine only? I have a feeling we tried that before, and the consensus was to go back to printed. But it would be better than nothing, and would save on printing and postage.

I echo other comments about MMA subs - I have no problem with current fees, and would rather any surplus was used for promoting the club or supporting members in other ways. Window stickers anyone?

In any case, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Simon and everyone involved in the production of the magazine over the years.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Adam wrote: Fri Feb 07, 20 10:58 am I'm sorry to see it go too, but I understand the decision in this digital age. Is it an option to make it an online magazine only? I have a feeling we tried that before, and the consensus was to go back to printed. But it would be better than nothing, and would save on printing and postage.

I echo other comments about MMA subs - I have no problem with current fees, and would rather any surplus was used for promoting the club or supporting members in other ways. Window stickers anyone?

In any case, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Simon and everyone involved in the production of the magazine over the years.
Hear hear Adam, Simon's done a great job in recent years, working with whatever material has been provided. If anyone thinks the content hasn't been up to scratch, we cant blame him, it's down to the membership to provide the bulk of it. So if you've never contributed, keep schtum! :-# ;)
Gas for GOSH

Post by Gas for GOSH »

Appreciate all the comment here people. Knowing the circumstances I totally voted for the forum over the magazine. I agree reading something on paper is easier and will keep my attention longer than online, but that is a generational thing: must be getting old!

Let's just say the last issue will be a good one to go out on :D

Simon
"Now some guys they just give up living - start dieing little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racing in the streets...." Bruce Springsteen
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

remember when we changed out our LPS, for CDS, and no more taking your film to be developed ,waiting a week, those days are gone, and things are faster, but magazines,and anything in print has been in trouble for years, and will probably fade out, and we will be the ones with the boxes of literature,perhaps for someone else to read or for the bird cage,oh well enjoyed it while it was here, gonna miss it for sure, but I will adapt :D
MattH

Post by MattH »

The fact that so many had not seen the comment is why I started this thread, and sort of hints at where magazines have gone in this digital age. I am as guilty as anyone of not finding time to read magazines straight away, I do enjoy a good magazine and subscribe to lots.

The forum is our repository of knowledge and history these days. It is accessible and you don't have to go in your loft to find articles. Many regard forums as old hat already, but we had that discussion a while back, FaceBook vs forum.
An analogy my son came up with is forums are like a library, FaceBook is like a chat down the pub.

I don't think it is the fee itself that prevents people joining the MMA, it is, as Blue so well phrased it, the easy availability of an inferior product, i.e. social media is replacing the need for a "club" for many. The cost of producing and posting the magazine is the bulk of membership cost.

We've been seeing the change over the last few years, and made steps to make things the best we can for all. It is not an easy decision to stop the magazine, but a necessary one.
The comments on this thread tend to indicate that most members can see the necessity.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Following the major upheaval of moving to the Isle of Wight and eighteen months later moving back, I have to own up to having missed the announcement.
The committee was discussing the future of Connected magazine ten years ago and we managed to keep it running, despite it being a huge drain on resources.
Big thanks must go to Simon for all the hard work he has put in over the years, together with the regular contributors (including our esteemed chairman, of course) but also behind the scenes, those stalwarts Matt and Mandie...as Blue said, like vinyl records, we’ll probably see a resurgence in printed club magazines and Connected may well return!
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com