what are you doing while at home?

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: what are you doing while at home?

Post by mygasser »

anyway.......
today we got all the roof framing done, both door frames made and the personal door fitted. the garage door came with the gubbins still attached to the header of the old frame with the springs still tensioned. it would've been rude not to reuse it as is with just new uprights, so we did which simplified that a lot. we added membrane and battens to the front and got most if it clad. i fell off the ladder while we were framing the front while still holding a section of the frame, not good and boy i'm paying for that now. had to sit down for a while 'til i could see clear again but a nice cuppa tea and biccies from mum over the road (i live next door) and more tea later from my sister (lives next door to my new shed and is supplying electricity for the project) was very welcome. dawn was blissfully unaware 'til we packed up for the day at 5ish and i got home moaning about my aches and bumps (not much new there). i said to jon ''we're too old to be falling of ladders these days'' which he agreed with. i didn't go back over to take pics so i'll get some in the morning before we crack on with cladding the roof.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

we got the roof all sealed up today. there's just some titivating around with facia boards, gutters and the last bit of cladding to cut in around the front doors which i'll do myself. it's all locked up and dry now though :thumbright:
again i forgot the camera and i'm too knackered to go back over now :roll:
manyana :D
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the rain eased a bit so i popped over and got some pics :thumbright:
nev (the fencing guy next door) is making the gates this weekend so access won't involve lifting fence panels out :roll:
i can't get much better pics of the outside as it's got a 6 foot fence all round and other than the front i've built right up to the fence line.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (121.41 KiB) Viewed 745 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 745 times
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (107.29 KiB) Viewed 745 times
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG (86.09 KiB) Viewed 745 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the new gates are made and weather permitting we'll be installing them tomorrow morning, thanks nev :D opening them for the first time will be like 'tadaaa!' where the front's opened up properly for the first time. :thumbright:
i've been umming and aahing about what to for the main floor area inside, from type 1 sub base packed down to road planings with a sprinkle of cherryade (red diesel) to soften the tar packed down to biting the bullet and spending on a concrete floor to do it right the once. dawn said today why don't you concrete the floor? i don't need telling twice i can tell you ;)
so.... gates this weekend, finish the cladding and fit facia boards and gutters next week. friday dawn and me are off to 'sunny' gt yarmouth for a weeks break and i'll be concreting upon my return
neil.
ps, i just had a quick tot up and once the floors done i'll be right around the £2000 mark all in for a 6.5 meter square building. not bad.
the only new things are:- concrete, damp proof and breathable membranes, battens, screws and rawbolts.
all the framing, cladding and doors are secondhand.
who says car guys aren't green :salute:
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Nice work & great cost savings :thumbright:

Do you not have 2 meter boundary distance when going with high roof ?

Maybe it’s not so tall, just looks it :D
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Wow, 2k well spent, nice space ! :salute:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

mopar_mark wrote: Fri Oct 02, 20 11:52 pm Nice work & great cost savings :thumbright:

Do you not have 2 meter boundary distance when going with high roof ?

Maybe it’s not so tall, just looks it :D
both the neighbours sheds are up to the boundary and they're all at the 'bottom' of the gardens away from the houses so i think we're ok. it's a few inches under 10 feet at the ridge and lower than next door's ridge height. the side walls are 8 feet to the left and 6 feet to the right so not too high. it should look more residential and less industrial once the facias and gutters are on too. i get on with all the neighbours so there shouldn't be any complaints especially as i'll only be using it for storage not working in so no annoying noise.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Dom66 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 20 11:27 am Wow, 2k well spent, nice space ! :salute:
cheers :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

we fitted the gates yesterday in between the rain and nev's made me a personel gate to replace the half fence panel left after fitting the big gates. hopefully we'll get that up tomorrow.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the rain stopped mid morning so i cut and fitted the rest of the cladding to the front around the doors and cut ridge tins from leftover cladding and fitted them. then i fitted some leftover battens either side of the 2 doors as trim pieces to neaten up the gap from door frames to cladding. lastly i fitted 2 bolts inside the up and over door for extra s4ecurity and fitted the gate catch and long padbolt to the new big gates.
Attachments
IMG_0003 (1).JPG
IMG_0003 (1).JPG (124.64 KiB) Viewed 690 times
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (116.05 KiB) Viewed 690 times
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG (124.71 KiB) Viewed 690 times
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG (112.38 KiB) Viewed 690 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i just picked up 2 padlocks from b&q for the gates. both have the same key which simplifies things.
neil.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Nice bit of usable space your going have in there and for not a great expenditure :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it sure is, mostly for storage though. mind you if there's a car (my valiant) in bits in my garage and i need to do a quick job on my daily or a customers car it's nice to be out of the weather :thumbright:
i just need to get some lights up and my generator over there once the floor's done.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the last gate's all hung and padlocked and nev gave me a top tip about fence panel security. screw a 2 1/2" screw diagonally at each end of the panel's cross braces pointing in towards the corner of the slot in the concrete posts. they pull the panel tight to the inside of the slot and prevent the panels being lifted out. he wasn't kidding either, all the panels i could get to are tight in place with no chance of moving them. i may do it at home too, we've got a couple of panels that rattle when it's windy. the small gate is just like the bigger ones so not worthy of a pic. oh, i also bagged up all the leftover crap and did a tip run so there's room for the next ballast delivery.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

terri and me used the last 1/2 bag of ballast today concreting the last bit of 'path' from the new gate to the 'front door' of the garage. it should be set by wednesday, i've got 4 more dumpy bags of ballast coming to do the floor inside and 2 will be sat on what we did today. my back does not like concreting these days that's for sure.
neil.