what are you doing while at home?

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Matt74

Re: what are you doing while at home?

Post by Matt74 »

I'd be interested to hear a bit more about your Ferrari Mark and see a few pics!
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Matt74 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 21 10:05 am I'd be interested to hear a bit more about your Ferrari Mark and see a few pics!
Sure, it's got a full dealer history, 43k on the clock. Someone's fitted an aftermarket Tubi exhaust to it, you can hear it from half a mile away. Just got it ceramic coated on the weekend.

I was looking for a CAV GT40 originally but couldn't find one for the right price, so got this instead.

Here are some photos.

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Jan 22, 21 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

when i did it before it was initially for repairs to the chequer plate floors on dad's fridge lorries but once you can you do all sorts. my steel fabricator friend said all i'd need was a teflon liner for the torch and silver plated tips (one size up from wire size used). also pure argon for gas with the right regulator.
keep the torch as straight as possible at all times and keep the work piece clean at all times, wire brush clean before striking every arc.
use this grade of wire as i'm told it's less likely to bend and bind up than others too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-MI ... 3012601986
when not in use remove the torch and hang/lay it straight so as not to introduce coils. basically as ally wire is soft you want to do what you can to stop it binding in the torch liner.
i've welded ally bellhousings, wheels and sheet metal parts with a mig, it's not as neat as tig but if you'll be cleaning/dressing the welds anyway it's fine.
neil.
Last edited by mygasser on Fri Jan 22, 21 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Mark B wrote: Wed Jan 20, 21 2:42 pm Well it's something to pass the time. It won't be for ever.
I'm sure it'll make you smile :thumbright:
In my " new life " , there are ferrari's around me daily. Both bosses love Italian super car stuff. Some I believe are quite rare ? Worked on a few , and currently face lifting a challenge car for 2021 season ( if it happens )
They're cool cars , and appreciate everything about them ..................,but , not for me.
We have an early model A pick up , flat head that I love.still , nothing beats a classic Mopar.
Team Deranged on Instagram / you tube if your interested.
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Mark B wrote: Fri Jan 22, 21 11:46 am
Matt74 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 21 10:05 am I'd be interested to hear a bit more about your Ferrari Mark and see a few pics!
Sure, it's got a full dealer history, 43k on the clock. Someone's fitted an aftermarket Tubi exhaust to it, you can hear it from half a mile away. Just got it ceramic coated on the weekend.

I was looking for a CAV GT40 originally but couldn't find one for the right price, so got this instead.

Here are some photos.

Very nice Mark. I've just had a look at the CAV GT40s. I'd love to have one of the those.
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

mygasser wrote: Fri Jan 22, 21 11:49 am when i did it before it was initially for repairs to the chequer plate floors on dad's fridge lorries but once you can you do all sorts. my steel fabricator friend said all i'd need was a teflon liner for the torch and silver plated tips (one size up from wire size used). also pure argon for gas with the right regulator.
keep the torch as straight as possible at all times and keep the work piece clean at all times, wire brush clean before striking every arc.
use this grade of wire as i'm told it's less likely to bend and bind up than others too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-MI ... 3012601986
when not in use remove the torch and hang/lay it straight so as not to introduce coils. basically as ally wire is soft you want to do what you can to stop it binding in the torch liner.
i've welded ally bellhousings, wheels and sheet metal parts with a mig, it's not as neat as tig but if you'll be cleaning/dressing the welds anyway it's fine.
neil.
Thanks, that's interesting. I've always wanted to have a go at TIG, but I understand to get the right gear for doing ally you'd have to spend a lot more than I'd want to. If I can get the bits you suggest for my MIG I'd like to give that a try sometime. You need a different regulator to use pure Argon ?
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yes you need the right regulator, the argoshield one won't work. they're cheap enough on ebay though.
neil.
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

mygasser wrote: Fri Jan 22, 21 11:49 am when i did it before it was initially for repairs to the chequer plate floors on dad's fridge lorries but once you can you do all sorts. my steel fabricator friend said all i'd need was a teflon liner for the torch and silver plated tips (one size up from wire size used). also pure argon for gas with the right regulator.
neil.
Thanks for the recommendations. I love to read about the experiences of others, because you can learn something new, try a new approach. It is impossible to know everything in life, you need to constantly learn and improve, master new skills, if you need them.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i fitted 4 of the 12" 12v led lights in the 'new' garage over the road. i used free twin core and a free household light switch, both part of the hoard i got from the old boys sheds next door a while back. along with the good battery i saved from the last diesel mercedes i scrapped last year i now have (really bright) lights in one side of the building.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

oh, and i got a transmission jack today to use under the new ramp i haven't got yet for my garage. it's one of the 2 stage ram types that go lower than the cheaper ones.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

to day i've been doing some tiling in the kitchen so we can fit the 2 new radiators i bought a while back. the old 'normal' ones had been tiled 'around' but the new ones are the oval column type so you can see through them.... where there aren't any tiles :( . luckily the tiler had got too many so i had enough left to do the infills. grouting tomorrow, oh joy.
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

You are clearly very motivated!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Pete wrote: Wed Feb 10, 21 10:12 pm You are clearly very motivated!!
i don't actually mind tiling pete, it's sorting other people's stuff i'm not so keen on. and the grout is mix up powder as i couldn't find black ready mixed (my preference as it's easier). i've done all of the previous tiling in the 30+ years we've lived here but a family member offered last time so i let him. lesson learned.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yesterday ashley and me put up the last section of pallet racking in my new garage over the road. we then started filling the racking with 'stuff' from the main garage and removed 2 of the overhead shelves for more room for the 2 post ramp that i'll fit there. we've got to get the new one pretty tidy as ash is bringing his zephyr in there to pull the engine and box for a stroker rebuild, fix the leaky heater and some other jobs that would be a pain in his single council lockup.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

fitted a new headliner in a mate's anglia (105e) today. i'd forgotten how fiddly they are and how i don't fit properly in an anglia anymore, especially a lowered one.
neil.