Re: what are you doing while at home?

Post by Pete »

That is SO much better, Andy!!! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes, I remember chatting about them when I bought and collected some tyres for my Polara off you a few years ago. My finances dont allow me to spend the money people are charging for some but have a nice little collection (Mainly Eastwood) that I've collected over the last 40 years. Boy do I wish I had a few UK quads for Bullitt! :shock:

I am moving from my flat in Birmingham to a bigger house in the wilds of Dumfries and Galloway soon (fingers crossed it all goes through ok) and I plan on having a man cave room full of framed posters and bookcases etc. I'm a bit OCD so Ive planned it all out already. My 'Where Eagles Dare' UK Quad will take pride of place
Attachments
il_570xN.1881148227_9emp.jpg
il_570xN.1881148227_9emp.jpg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Pete wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 12:50 pm At the moment, I am mostly rebuilding the Hemi from scratch this time... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
How come Pete, I thought it was all good after the last build.

I just sent my Crank, Rods, Pistons off for final balance. I hope to be like you you soon & in the engine build phase 8-)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

Pete wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 4:49 pm That is SO much better, Andy!!! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thanks, im pleased with how its coming on
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

Steve wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 5:00 pm Yes, I remember chatting about them when I bought and collected some tyres for my Polara off you a few years ago. My finances dont allow me to spend the money people are charging for some but have a nice little collection (Mainly Eastwood) that I've collected over the last 40 years. Boy do I wish I had a few UK quads for Bullitt! :shock:

I am moving from my flat in Birmingham to a bigger house in the wilds of Dumfries and Galloway soon (fingers crossed it all goes through ok) and I plan on having a man cave room full of framed posters and bookcases etc. I'm a bit OCD so Ive planned it all out already. My 'Where Eagles Dare' UK Quad will take pride of place
yeah some of the prices are crazy, sold a couple of Vanishing Point quads at 600 a piece a few years back, wish i could buy them for that now.
I like the UK quad posters, often the artwork is better than the US one sheets
Pete

Post by Pete »

mopar_mark wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 5:21 pm
Pete wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 12:50 pm At the moment, I am mostly rebuilding the Hemi from scratch this time... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Mark - I resolved the key issues with the engine (which were numerous!!) without a full strip down.
However, I never had confidence in it, as I was still seeing a small amount of debris in the System One filter.

However, on the last outing, the Starter motor nose sheared off and damaged the ring gear of my new and expensive custom-made "Hughes" Torque Convertor, so the motor had to come out. The Transmission is also getting a full refresh.

I have also made a lot of suspension and chassis modifications to make the car launch better.
It was currently running about 1.42 60 foot times whereas the terminal mph point to it should be running around 1.34 or better 60 foot times.

The final straw was finding a Valve Spring broken when I removed a Rocker Box.

I therefore made the decision for a full strip and overhaul to ensure everything was Ok, so at least when the strips open again I have a degree of peace of mind.

All the Valve Springs, Retainers, and Keepers have been changed for "PAC" setup, and all the Installed heights corrected.
The Learning and Technology has moved on so there are benefits to be had.

I have also learned a tremendous amount about the nuances of this engine - it is a "Conversion Hemi" - and not the same architecture as my KB (Real) Hemi.

This has made me understand what I can realistically get out of the engine, and indeed what the limitations are.

I bet you wished you never asked!!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Pete wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 5:49 pm
mopar_mark wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 5:21 pm
Mark - I resolved the key issues with the engine (which were numerous!!) without a full strip down.
However, I never had confidence in it, as I was still seeing a small amount of debris in the System One filter.

However, on the last outing, the Starter motor nose sheared off and damaged the ring gear of my new and expensive custom-made "Hughes" Torque Convertor, so the motor had to come out. The Transmission is also getting a full refresh.

I have also made a lot of suspension and chassis modifications to make the car launch better.
It was currently running about 1.42 60 foot times whereas the terminal mph point to it should be running around 1.34 or better 60 foot times.

The final straw was finding a Valve Spring broken when I removed a Rocker Box.

I therefore made the decision for a full strip and overhaul to ensure everything was Ok, so at least when the strips open again I have a degree of peace of mind.

All the Valve Springs, Retainers, and Keepers have been changed for "PAC" setup, and all the Installed heights corrected.
The Learning and Technology has moved on so there are benefits to be had.

I have also learned a tremendous amount about the nuances of this engine - it is a "Conversion Hemi" - and not the same architecture as my KB (Real) Hemi.

This has made me understand what I can realistically get out of the engine, and indeed what the limitations are.

I bet you wished you never asked!!!
No, I never wished I had asked... :D

Bit of a Bananarama! about the starter, rightly or wrongly I never used to use a nose starter, mainly due to having a Glide & needing a Mopar/Chevy mid plate. I did switch to a Mezziere at a later date & an still going to use on the new Hemi.

Was it just the tail the broke on the spring or was a proper break, I don’t t blame you for wanting to strip down, I would of done the same. Can’t go wrong with PAC :thumbright:

I had the CEO of KB contact me last week, as he wanted to use my Cuda for a feature, as he thought I still had the KB. Came across as a real nice guy, even when I told him I had switched to a Noonan.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Pete

Post by Pete »

Both Springs broke at the mid point on the EXH valve. Retainer was marked up so changed the lot...

Yes, the PAC stuff is reassuringly expensive but great kit - together with the £450 + Trend 7/16" Push rods!
Whack on top of that custom made Cometic Head gaskets and it tots up!

I thought KB packed up years ago, although they resurrect more than a '70's Rock band.

I replaced the Starter with a Billet item with no nose - similar to a Chubby or Fraud.... hopefully that will engineer one more issue out of the equation.

The KB uses an Ultrabel and a TH400 so I will go the same route with the Starter on that...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

I have changed to a Browell can, mated to TH400 (2 Speed). I also switched starter to Chevy side, to give me more room. All a learning curve, as only one water billet Hemi completed so far ....

I have also gone over to Copper Head Gaskets. I found the Cometics great once sealed, but getting them to seal can be a right Bananarama!. Between Rob Loaring, Dave Wilson, my mate Paul, Harry & myself, Voodoo Dolls. we eventually got them to seal ...
Pete

Post by Pete »

You keep good company, with great experience and advice. Rob Dynoed the engine for me last time,

I take it your Block and heads are O ringed then?

I never had any trouble with the Cometics sealing - even after I had to modify them for push rod clearance, but then your engine is operating under much more extreme conditions than mine..
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Robs a great guy, as is Nick.

Yes, pretty much everything is ‘O’ Ringed, Heads, Manifold, Cam drive cover, exhausts, Rocker covers . Less gaskets to worry about :D
Pete

Post by Pete »

Excellent.
I do a fair bit of business with Nick and Rob at work.

When is the great start up day, or are you getting it dynoed without the turbos purely to break it in?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Derek

Post by Derek »

Andy, I look forward to seeing the 56 at KK when this is all over.
Attachments
8-F32-E0-F7-9642-414-A-941-E-6-D50-B47-CFBD9.jpg
8-F32-E0-F7-9642-414-A-941-E-6-D50-B47-CFBD9.jpg (137.52 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

went out for a walk shortly after 6 this morning, was in the direction of my garage. fired the dart up and ran it up and down the courtyard. Thought i had a petrol leak, saw some petrol outside, it was wet. Looks like it's the guy next to me, it was more over his side. Phew!
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

Derek wrote: Wed Apr 29, 20 11:25 pm Andy, I look forward to seeing the 56 at KK when this is all over.
you never know, you might do lol, ive got a mate chomping at the bit to get his hands on it when its ready