Rock Autos inport VAT help

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Rock Autos inport VAT help

Post by TIB3300 »

Morning all

I have ordered from Rock auto's before with no problems, however this time I have a VAT and clearance fee for £36 .

I thought all duties were taken by Rock outs upon order?

Has anyone come across this before and could help sort it out please?
ScottyDave

Re: Rock Autos inport VAT help

Post by ScottyDave »

Did it all come via FedEx? If it was split parcels and some came post that'd be a good bet on the reason why.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

ScottyDave wrote: Mon Jul 20, 20 11:11 am Did it all come via FedEx? If it was split parcels and some came post that'd be a good bet on the reason why.
I dont know? This is what I have received
Attachments
IMG_20200720_123801311.jpg
IMG_20200720_123801311.jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

TIB3300 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 20 12:44 pm
ScottyDave wrote: Mon Jul 20, 20 11:11 am Did it all come via FedEx? If it was split parcels and some came post that'd be a good bet on the reason why.
Yes that was sent by postal service which gets transferred to Parcel Farce here in the UK, charges weren't prepaid I'm afraid and you'll need to pay it before they'll release the parcel.
Need to choose FedEx option when selecting shipping to pay charges up front.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

ScottyDave wrote: Mon Jul 20, 20 3:14 pm
Yes that was sent by postal service which gets transferred to Parcel Farce here in the UK, charges weren't prepaid I'm afraid and you'll need to pay it before they'll release the parcel.
I ordered a converter from Summit a few weeks ago and couldnt get the option up to pre-pay import tax & duty so ordered it anyway and paid the shipping, using FedEx.
The parcel arrived about 5 days later (they quoted between 3-8) and the I got the invoice for tax & duty thru the post about 2 weeks later (last week), which I've just paid online.
At least with FedEx they dont hold onto your goods until you've paid all the charges, unlike Parcel Farce :roll:
lemans-tom

Post by lemans-tom »

I've ordered from RockAuto plenty of times in the past, never had an issue.

Recently ordered something (via FedEx option) with charges pre-paid and RockAuto took the payment inc charges.

But on arrival in the UK, I also got a demand from Fed-Ex asking for £4 plus £10 admin fee - I've queried it but it is currently in the COVID-bound, short staffed invoice dept abyss.

Always worth checking.
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

ScottyDave wrote: Mon Jul 20, 20 3:14 pm

Ah! thanks :thumbright:

That makes sence , just looked at my shipping order and it was deliverd by

Ship Via: Economy Mail (Consolidated)(DHLGlobalMail)
NY 11550USShip
MattH

Post by MattH »

I had the same,came as a text first which i thought was a scam so deleted it, then got a letter. First time from Rock Auto as it was the cheaper postal option as it was heavy items (brake discs). Will always try to use FEDEX throughout.

Rock Auto did email on the order and warned there may be charges on delivery for one of the packages.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Ive used Rock Autos a few times, depending on the source of the part , depends whether duty and VAT are included,
however i fear thats academic now!
just tried to order front and rear bumpers for my Chally, bumpers x2 =£271, Fed Ex 5 day delivery £1800 FFS!!!!

4 months ago this would have been £600 all in, ive checked and from all accounts the above quote is correct lol
so i'l keep my body coloured bumpers!
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

newsatten wrote: Sun Jul 26, 20 5:58 pm Ive used Rock Autos a few times, depending on the source of the part , depends whether duty and VAT are included,
however i fear thats academic now!
just tried to order front and rear bumpers for my Chally, bumpers x2 =£271, Fed Ex 5 day delivery £1800 FFS!!!!

4 months ago this would have been £600 all in, ive checked and from all accounts the above quote is correct lol
so i'l keep my body coloured bumpers!

Just had a look at the cost of my Rockauto basket :shock: :shock: :shock:
Screenshot_20200726-211027_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200726-211027_Chrome.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
think I'll be holding off from ordering Stateside for a bit.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

For a bulky item like bumpers & If there’s no rush, sea freight is a far less costly option to consider
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

anything big and i use STS imports. have a chat with Ron Fenton.

Fedex say they only act on what the customs person at the clearance house says they need to do, that person my have a fedex badge but they work from HMRC

trouble is some of those people don't read the invoice, no skin off their nose if they get it wrong.... so even if it all turns out to be a mistake

you owe FedEx a minimum of £14 because it landed in their invoice system, go for a full investigation into the issue and you owe then £14 + £50 if they find no fault on their part and there won't be the fault is with HMRC

Its all a con.

HMRC have a complaints line which forwards you to a website which suggests you try to leverage anything owed out of them by either a dispute process that may cost you money or via a process similar to doing a tax return which involves getting a government gateway account.

beware of anything with free shipping, to HMRC its an excuse to treat the whole parcel as a exception where the invoice was not filled in correctly

and you get charged based on a formula linked to value of goods how big the parcel is, combined with the maximum weight that could fit in that space for the type of shipping hence a 1 foot square box of air might be considered as weighing 100KG ... in which case YOU :x tax man :lol:

its a con

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS for most couriers a little over 6 foot is the max length they will take for a normal punter. try getting a dash pad shipped.....mine came in eventually with someone who was moving house Aus-UK the shipping was going to be more than the cost of a second hand dash pad and its restoration.

so for a bumper you will be charged for a space that is 1 foot deep 3 foot wide 3 foot tall with the bumper on the diagonal

trouble is that space could have been filled with 9 x 1 foot squared boxes of 26kg each all of which could have been unique shipments on which they make a profit. your bumper wastes 5-6 square foot of profit....

so its better off in the flat bed of a newly imported truck in a 40 foot container i.e talk to Ron Fenton

you will still pay import duty and VAT but he will be fair. you will not be subjected to a formula in a spreadsheet that has little link to the reality of shipping a bumper i.e bespoke service rather than the easiest solution for a data entry clerk who clicks the button that says "big" followed by "awkward" and watches the $$$$ roll by like a 1 armed bandit until they get YOUR price.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying