pub rock south England 1970s

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

gmopar59

pub rock south England 1970s

Post by gmopar59 »

On Sky Arts tonight at 8pm. Should be good, me and my mate used to go over to London in the 70s when still at school. Saw some good bands. Brinsley Schwarz etc. Mostly at the Hope & Anchor.
Blue

Re: pub rock south England 1970s

Post by Blue »

There used to be so many music venues in and around London in the '70s and '80s and it was cheap. Sadly, pretty much all gone now and what's left is far from easy on your pocket.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Blue wrote: Fri Feb 05, 21 6:07 pm There used to be so many music venues in and around London in the '70s and '80s and it was cheap. Sadly, pretty much all gone now and what's left is far from easy on your pocket.
I dont think it's that bad Blue, sure some will have closed since those days but plenty of others have opened and established themselves since... or at least up until last March. Only time will tell how many will have survived being shut for over a year by the time they can reopen :?
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

I caught the last ten minutes sadly,hopefully it’ll come back around. I loved the live music from this period 😎 I saw Dr Feelgood a couple of years back and even though the line up had changed they were still really good.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I love Wilko.

I saw Feelgood in 1978 (supported by an unknown group called "Squeeze!"), and see Wilko regularly on tour, sadly his last gig was postponed to 2022!!! Let's hope we are still all around then....

Wilko plays with Norman Watt-Roy, probably the best bassist after Entwistle, and he played with the Blockheads, notably on "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick". Wilko also played with the Blockheads for a time...

I'm amazed Bish has not chipped in with "I saw Hendrix in a Pub in Finchley" yet....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

RobTwin wrote: Sat Feb 06, 21 1:14 am
Blue wrote: Fri Feb 05, 21 6:07 pm There used to be so many music venues in and around London in the '70s and '80s and it was cheap. Sadly, pretty much all gone now and what's left is far from easy on your pocket.
I dont think it's that bad Blue, sure some will have closed since those days but plenty of others have opened and established themselves since... or at least up until last March. Only time will tell how many will have survived being shut for over a year by the time they can reopen :?
There's nothing like the scene there was in the 70s Rob, none of the North London venues still exist and all of my old haunts in Central london went years ago. There was something on most nights of the week and when it was a fiver for 3 bands we sometimes did 2 gigs the same night. London property prices went crazy in the late 80s and that saw most of the better ones off.
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Saw dr feelgood a number of times and the blockheads. Blockheads were one of the tightest bands I ever saw. Was 76/77 when we went over to London on the ferry. The toilets were usually swimming in sick. Wilko did play with them for a time, saw him interviewed about it and he said he was so in awe of their musicianship that he would turn his amp off any mime. Think we saw the 101ers at the Roundhouse
COM_2014-06-20_UNC_028_32054862_I1.JPG
COM_2014-06-20_UNC_028_32054862_I1.JPG (86.8 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
, never saw the Clash, they did come to Belfast in 77 to play the Ulster Hall but a bomb scare put paid to that. :D
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good stuff!!

I have seen the Stranglers a number of times.

I think JJ Burnell is one of the coolest guys in music....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Not a bomb scare, insurers pulled out causing a bit of trouble. this may be a double post.
SAV@RPM

Post by SAV@RPM »

One of my favourite bands from that era, Graham Parker And The Rumour. The album Heat Treatment is a classic, I still listen to their stuff.
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Saw him too, had the Pink Parker ep then, now lost.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I did see Chuck Berry play in a Jazz Club in Kentish town ....

..... and James Brown play at the "Ocean" Hackney....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Blue

Post by Blue »

Saw Jonathan Richman at the Hammersmith odeon with no amplification, that was a quiet gig....
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Blue wrote: Sun Feb 07, 21 8:09 pm Saw Jonathan Richman at the Hammersmith odeon with no amplification, that was a quiet gig....
ooer! :shock: power cut?
Blue

Post by Blue »

Nope it was just part of his schtick. Also stood next to Frank Sidebottom at the bar, that was messy...