Dehumidifiers.

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Dehumidifiers.

Post by morgan »

Morning team.

Whats the verdict on dehumidifiers ?
Since Charger moved from an integral warm/dry house garage (I dunno, something about wanting more space for PEOPLE or something, so she had to go to a different garage. "But how will I say goodnight ??? " Deaf ears... ) I've been thinking about humidity.

I installed a dehumidifier a few years ago, it vents out through the wall but to be honest I am not convinced it makes a lot of difference.
This morning the remote sensor tells me garage is 71% - which strikes me as above ideal. I dont think the little unit is man enough for the job really - it was probably intended for single room use or something. I mean its definitely extracting moisture, I can see that from the outlet pipe but not enough I dont think.

SO. Who bothers ? What have you got ? Waste of time ?

PS - Incidentally, the BEST way of heating/dehumidifying I have found is to park a hot Big Block in there. Positively toasty for hours !
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Mark B

Re: Dehumidifiers.

Post by Mark B »

I use a Ecoair DD3 Desiccant Dehumidifier. Works great, collects a couple of litres of water a day.

https://ecoair.org/products/dd3-classic-mk2
21.jpg
21.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

I dont see how dehumidifiers will work unless in a sealed environment? Surely the air in the garage will just try and balance out with the natural environment outside the door? As soon as you turn the thing off it must be a matter of hours before its back to ambient? I guess its ok its in 24/7 but they really suck the juice.
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

You're right. The garage has sealed doors, a radiator and roof insulation, but when it's turned off the humidity builds up again (we're near a river). So it's on 24/7 during the winter.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
morgan

Post by morgan »

Trigger_Andy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 21 8:56 am I dont see how dehumidifiers will work unless in a sealed environment? Surely the air in the garage will just try and balance out with the natural environment outside the door? As soon as you turn the thing off it must be a matter of hours before its back to ambient? I guess its ok its in 24/7 but they really suck the juice.
Yes, should have mentioned that. Garage is sealed and wall insulated (no door drafts, insulated door etc) - its a proper building.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

I'm using one of these.

Removes about 2 litres a day. The garage it's in is not much bigger than the Charger. Some of the car is bare metal with no flash rusting.
During the recent cold spell I brought it into the house and placed it the hallway. It did seem to keep the condensation off the windows.
Overall I'm happy with it so. I run it it night mode to keep the running cost down and still collects about 2 litres if humidity is high!