Rear drum size and spacing ....

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Rear drum size and spacing ....

Post by Garp »

Morning,
So, Rockauto is having some end-of-line clearout parts going and amongst them are rear drums, shoes, refurb kit etc.
How do I know what the actual diameter of my drums are? Am I looking for a part number, or am I just taking a basic diameter measurement across and it'll either be 15", 16" etc etc?
Do I then need to get dedicated shoes for the diameter drum I'm running or are they generic?
Other quick wheel related question is, I'm currently running 275/50 R15 tyres on the rear, which, to those of you in the know, will indicate my rim size - if I have just me or just front seats full, we're golden, but the minute I have a rear passenger and we hit any kind of bump, the chrome arch trim scrapes the tyre.
I've jacked her up but cannot remove any trim as there doesn't seem to be any excess that could be taken away - I'm thinking therefore I'd like to bring my rear wheels in just a touch (easier and more sensible than flaring the arches !!!).
Truth is, I've not even removed a rear wheel since I've had her, never needed to so it's all a bit sorcery about what goes on back there !
thanks in advance for the help - apologies if I'm being a total div'
Garp
:oops:
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Best thing to do is jack it up and remove the wheels. You should be able to cross reference the drums. Good chance they may have been changed from original, so the only way to really know is check what you have.

Without looking no one is going to be able to advise:

I'd bet 10 x 2 or 10 x 2.5.

Half the fun is taking some of the things off and shouting abuse at the rest! ;) :D :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Whip a drum off and measure across the inside, it will be 10"or 11", then measure the width of the shoes, probably 2", then you know what you need.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Garp

Post by Garp »

Cheers chaps
Glad to know it is actually as hands-on as I thought.
Will "drop her knickers" tomorrow and measure up.
Thanks
Garp
.... nothing dead about this forum ....
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines