Advice on front brake upgrade

Moderator: Moderators

adrianp

Post by adrianp »

Hi,

Just went through a similar conversion myself. My car is probably around the same weight as yours and had power-assisted front drum brakes from the factory. I'm also running 15" wheels.

I did some research on this myself and opinions on the SSBC kit seem to be varied. If you want another option have a look at Dr. Diff - often heard good things about their kit on the US sites http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/front/.

I went with the Wilwood kit which is a bolt-on upgrade on the OEM drum spindles. They did have a 12.91" rotor which they said would fit under a 15" but I went with the 11" rotor on the basis that it would safely fit under a 15" wheel (according to Wilwood it'd actually fit under a 14"wheel !)

It's all one part number/kit from Wilwood and in addition I just needed to buy a new master cylinder as well which I got from Wilwood. I dragged the car down to Anton's and he looked into it and ended up recommending the same kit I'd identified and he also picked the master cylinder.

The wait of the kit was a bit of a PITA, I think it was 1-2 months in the end to get the kit direct from Wilwood as it looks like they didn't keep what I needed on the shelf. Anton fitted the lot and all is good so far ! To be honest I really haven't even noticed going from power-assisted to manual.

adrian.
TW71

Post by TW71 »

Good info there, I think Dr.Diff looks good, I have dealt with them and found them very good :thumbright: