Advice on front brake upgrade

Moderator: Moderators

TW71

Advice on front brake upgrade

Post by TW71 »

Can anyone give me some advice for a front disc setup non powered for effective stopping from a 130 + 1/4mile, car is 71 B body around 3700 plus driver, the wheels are 15" so the bigger disc rotors that would fit would be preferred.

I have at present got the non power 11" x 15 " drums that have been used up to around 120 mph at the top but I would like to upgrade them!

Thanks!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Lots of kits there, depending on your budget - Roydon could probably make you up a set off an "E" body from bits we have - and I have a set of new single piston Calipers.

Alternatively there is Willwood but I think they are a bit "Light" for a street car.

My Bee has all Mopar stuff, which you can buy off the shelf and that works fine........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I've always appreciated the "excitement" of the original non servo drums :shock: :D
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
TW71

Post by TW71 »

Pete, as you say there are a lot out there for sale, I did not want to go nuts on it, just getting some ideas together at the moment.

Surprisingly the drums are not too bad for what they are but repeated use forget it, too exciting as Ivor says!

More pedal force would be needed for discs, non powered ?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Non-powered discs feel "Dead" but hard, depending on M/C size selection...but they are consistent; which is nice!

More leg power is required, but then you ARE driving a muscle car, not a Bentley ;) ;) ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

can't help much on the brake question.....but 130mph+ in a 3875lbs? car needs around 700hp...sounds interesting......is that gonna be on mtr or with the cheating stuff?

Les
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Chrysler Cordoba 11.75 discs are about as big as you can get with GEN 2 Viper calipers and AR Engineering adapter kit under 15" wheels TIM.
That should stop it...im hoping it will on mine
:thumbright:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

You sure the Viper calipers will fit with 15-inch wheels Steve???
TW71

Post by TW71 »

The thing nowadays is that there seems to be so much more available aftermarket wise, the 15" wheel makes choice a little less expensive (!), I would just like to see a worth while improvement at the big end over the drums!

Also drilled rotors?

Steve is that what you got on your project or is that for your e bod?

Les, I am thinking for the future but would not rule out a drop of gas with that weight!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Dave wrote:You sure the Viper calipers will fit with 15-inch wheels Steve???
They will, but this is a blind alley as the spindles are well known for being made of unobtainium.

Keep it simple.

Either SSBC - but ensure the right pads. I am not a great fan as I do not think the rotors are big enough diameter.

Mopar conversion, again with the Cordoba Discs.

Willwood, but a street-orientated set up.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

TW71

Post by TW71 »

Thats my approach Pete, keep it simple.

I would like to get the bigger rotors though.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Heres the range from Wilwood for your car for vented and drilled discs which should be good on the street too.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/depa ... ed-surface
Pete_B

Post by Pete_B »

I'm with Ivor, non assisted drums have certainly livened up my life :thumbright: .....thats why im planning on getting some after market discs on as soon as i can :oops:
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

wouldn't bother with the SSBC set up, mine is just about passable now after lots of messing and extra expense, but for the money they should be good. They are shipped with useless pads, the master cylinder doesn't cover the hole in the bulkhead, and when the pedal height ended up odd on mine they suggested I needed an adjustable push rod from them. So $80 later I had an adjustable push rod that didn't fit at the pedal end, or even in the master cylinder that SSBC had supplied. Their response was that they didn't care, basically.
Ended up cutting it up and making my own with the proper ends, but it's an expensive way of getting a piece of threaded bar.

The adjustable prop valve they supplied was trouble as well so I ended up buying a Wilwood replacement.

Still two feet needed to stop the car, but at least it will stop...
'64 Barracuda
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Dave wrote:You sure the Viper calipers will fit with 15-inch wheels Steve???
Yes they will....not put the wheels on yet though :help:

ARE say yes 15s ok the Drum A body spindles are almost impossible to get as Pete said though :roll:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V