Fastest 4cyl. car down the 1/4 mile?

Moderator: Moderators

Les Szabo

Fastest 4cyl. car down the 1/4 mile?

Post by Les Szabo »

Chatting down the pub last night about Drag racing and got onto this subject....certainly inpressed me!

Anyone know?.......I'll give you a clue.......was in 1998 and he also drove Bikes.

Don't think its been beat?.

Les
Cannonball

Re: Fastest 4cyl. car down the 1/4 mile?

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:Chatting down the pub last night about Drag racing and got onto this subject....certainly inpressed me!

Anyone know?.......I'll give you a clue.......was in 1998 and he also drove Bikes.

Don't think its been beat?.

Les
think it was that little late model silver ford probe or something saunders maybe
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

:thumbright:

Wayne Saunders.....Ford Probe built by Hauser, 2.1 Cosworth engine, 31lbs of boost, 7.70 at 179mph. Apparently wayne found a way building boost on the start line back then which is how all the Pro-Mods do it today, he sold the car to the USA and got $$$$$$$$$$$.

Seeing as you are a Pinto man Dunc......who was the fastest Pinto back in the day?.........should be an easy one, I was talking to him last night, and he nearly beat Hauser to run the first 7 sec 1/4.

Les
Last edited by Les Szabo on Thu Sep 25, 14 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Les Szabo wrote:who was the fastest Pinto back in the day?.........should be an easy one, I was talking to him last night.

Les
Graham Barrs in 'Neon Star' ?
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote::thumbright:

Wayne Saunders.....Ford Probe built by Hauser, 2.1 Cosworth engine, 31lbs of boost, 7.70 at 179mph. Apparently wayne found a way building boost on the start line back then which is how all the Pro-Mods do it today, he sold the car to the USA and got $$$$$$$$$$$.

Seeing as you are a Pinto man Dunc......who was the fastest Pinto back in the day?.........should be an easy one, I was talking to him last night.

Les
crikey thats hard for me the des taylor pinto was my fave back then, not very fast at all but looked ace to me, please enlighten me also what did it run,, it may well be the pinto i have sat here waiting for next yr,, now red,,,,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yep Graham......he was telling me he used the 351 block and crank from the '69 Muzzy, but that was it, Roush heads and all other race stuff.....ran it to 9800rpm and ran 8.30's with a Lenco.

His Mustang with the Shotgun motor ran 8.0's consistent but was just pipped by Jeff for the 1st 7 sec run...why?....because of a too low 1st gear in the Lenco 3.10.....he borrowed jeffs Lenco with a 2.90 1st gear and went 7.90/7.91......all interesting stuff....but just thought I'd bore you all :lol:

Les
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:Yep Graham......he was telling me he used the 351 block and crank from the '69 Muzzy, but that was it, Roush heads and all other race stuff.....ran it to 9800rpm and ran 8.30's with a Lenco.

His Mustang with the Shotgun motor ran 8.0's consistent but was just pipped by Jeff for the 1st 7 sec run...why?....because of a too low 1st gear in the Lenco 3.10.....he borrowed jeffs Lenco with a 2.90 1st gear and went 7.90/7.91......all interesting stuff....but just thought I'd bore you all :lol:

Les
blimey so a pinto over here went 8,3 i would like to see pics of that
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

I did have a pucker print of it but can't find it.....here's a link

http://www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk ... ki_01.html

about half way down

Les
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Here you go.
Attachments
005_Neon_Star.jpg
005_Neon_Star.jpg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

nice one thanks, ugly front on that but a corker pron well crushed y now,,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

just sussed out how to do ithat Dave :roll: ....here's another from rns, slightly different paint job and probably with the stock Muzzy 351 at the time.
Attachments
BARS 1`.jpg
BARS 1`.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Stick an 800hp motor in that Pinto Dunc and you'll go faster than 8.30's :thumbright:
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:Stick an 800hp motor in that Pinto Dunc and you'll go faster than 8.30's :thumbright:
think a hemi will jab in there les :lol:
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

I was thinking just that :thumbright:
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Les Szabo wrote::thumbright:

Seeing as you are a Pinto man Dunc......who was the fastest Pinto back in the day?.........should be an easy one, I was talking to him last night, and he nearly beat Hauser to run the first 7 sec 1/4.

Les
Les,
I am fairly certain the Probe stayed in this country, it was the Focus that was exported/sold to the USA. Was a very impressive car at the time, still is come to that.

The Probe was sold to John Tebenham (silver with Union Jack on the roof) it also ran Castrol green colours & was sponsored by Castrol for a while. I dont think he bought it with the engine, think he ran the turbo Cossy motor from his Anglia in it,

John did sell it, when he got into boxing heavily. I heard he was after buying it back at some time, not sure if he did or not.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."