chrysler number vs holdens and fords

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

rfullarton

chrysler number vs holdens and fords

Post by rfullarton »

i am wondering why there are many more Chryslers from the 1970s in the UK compared to Fords and Holdens ?

Maybe Chryslers rot less .. so there are more of these on the streets now ?
AndyB

Re: chrysler number vs holdens and fords

Post by AndyB »

I'm not sure of the answer to that particular question, but the article below is well worth a read,

https://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/aussie-chry.html

Cheers, Andy
CJ Chrysler 360
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

not sure if there are

in the 70s Both chrysler and ford sold aussie cars officially to UK and Ireland
not so sure about holdens

chryslers suffered due to poor parts distribution and astronomical cost on both the RHD barracuda and the valiants from oz and SA

nobody wanted to pay jag money for a car with a plastic interior and compared to European cars a chassis that was designed in the 50s that still had drum brakes on base models.

there are quite a lot of the fords here...
or there were
http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/

the chrysler valiant spares went back to Oz in the early 90s at least a 20 foot containers worth, and potentially in the container they had arrived in.
They (Chrysler Aus Ltd) sent some odd stuff. The spares that came in contained stacking steel boxes filled with manual steering boxes... a proportion of which were 16:1 ratio and were therefore completely useless for any UK car, none of them had the longer steering column of the RT track pack cars, necessary to use the aussie version of the 16:1 ratio. Most all of them were Regal, VIP or 770 cars with power steering...
when you send spares to keep cars on the road one of the last things i'd expect to fail early in its life would be it steering box. consumables would have been sensible...

the last hemi 6 engine i purchased had come out of a car in the 70s or 80s the bores still have a cross hatch to them..its pretty much a 50K mile motor but it was pretty obvious why the car ended up in a breakers. the exhaust manifold had cracked in 2 places and the choke coil housing and had been fixed badly with epoxy many many times, the manifold was practically blocked.
if someone was willing to scrap the car rather than find another manifold at a time when Chrysler UK had containers worth of spares makes you wonder if the whole project was a disaster from start to finish

flogging a 4+ liter car in the uk after the OPEC shenanigans would have been hard work.

anyway i always thought there were more Ford falcons about than chryslers
but that might be because of Sandy's site and the fact that they seem to have organised themselves into a club that lasted under its own name for longer than the Australian chrysler club..... they have the MAD max effect to help as well.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

I would say more fords than Chryslers sold here, I actually think the falcons/fairmonts etc actually rotted worse than the Chrysler products, there was a yank breakers close to here, the yard was full of Aussie fords most all rotten as hell this was circa 80 onwards,I think the Aussie Chryslers were scrapped more due to being ugly esp the 4 door dart type looking ones vip etc, and the Aussie charger was always compaired to the yank charger which made the Aussie one look pants they were very cheap to buy used

The rhd barracuda changed hands for circa £250.00 in the late 70,s a terrific price loss from new and had a problem with the chassis breaking by the steering box lots were scrapped because of this,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
MattH

Post by MattH »

Fords probably rotted more, Sandy had a photo of 2 XB GT's falling to bits in Scotland.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Anecdotally I've been told by more than one person that about 2000 Aussie Chrysler's were sold in the UK, about 200 of which were Chargers. The Rootes article I posted earlier quotes only 350 cars being sold in the UK. Anyone know where the 2000 figure comes from?
CJ Chrysler 360
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yes it used to be on one of the sites ive quoted it in the past then started to question where the hell they all went

350 seems low but 2000 seems high

thats a lot of boats full of cars that didn't sell well...

possibly mis quote of 2000 exported i.e Xnn compliance plate option (i.e not necessarily to here)

i could see RHD UK fiji west indies indonesia japan adding up to 2000

i.e stuff that went to places that had no local assembly (discounting NZ and SA putting together Knock-Down Kits)

Dave
rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

thanks for the responses ...
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

a quote that appears to be lifted from the valiant charger book hey charger states 2348 valiant to uk between 68 and 74. Of which 218 were chargers

i'll check the book when i get home

Dave