Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Hi simon

spoke to your steering box man

doesn't sound like there is anything much wrong

took him through the set up

stiff in the middle

mount in car

attach manifold and pipes so that the little piston engages in the steering box properly

start car.

see which way the box turns by itself

tap the manifold with the piston in a few thou one way or the other until the box hydraulic flow is equally biased and the wheels should stay facing forward. It only goes hard one way when the position of the little piston in the manifold bit favours hydraulic flow into one chamber over the other when the steering wheel isn't being moved

set the steering up with 1-2 degrees positive castor and it won't feel light
wheels should have slight toe in and are alright anywhere between +1 and -1 camber.

the steering settings in the book are designed to let a frail old granny park up the car in a tight space and were really for bias ply tyres running lower pressures than you might with a modern radial on the front.

some positive castor is necessary... the book suggests negative which is more or less guaranteed to make it feel like you can't let go of the wheel at speed.

set the ride height first and pump up the tyres all round.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Ace Dropshot

Re: Australian and Other Export Mopars Forum

Post by Ace Dropshot »

Hello everyone!
I've been struggling round the web building my knowledge then suddenly remembered I hadn't ever logged in to this forum! #-o
What a great resource guys! Great job with the links and the register.

I have acquired the Valiant VF in Scotland, that I've seen in this forum. My plan is to rescue it and I have a good mechanic helping me with the restoration. Customville have helped me out with Dodge Dart parts from AMD. I thought my biggest challenge would be the bonnet (it's not good!) but my friend in Oz has helped me out and I should have one on the way soon! However, I've realised my biggest challenge will be the front wing, that I hadn't uncovered until I joined this forum! Thanks - I think?!

If you see anything VF/VG pop-up, that might help me, then please ping me a message!
I'm sure there are one or two around that have been abandoned.

And hello again to everyone! PS you can update RVP 209G from "Dead" to SORN!
Aussie Chrysler VF Valiant "Scottish Val"
MattH

Post by MattH »

good news that this car has re-appeared !
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi Guys....

Are there any meets/runs etc for OZ /Export cars planned this summer?

Gus
MattH

Post by MattH »

There will most likely be a few at the Mopar Euronats at the end of July. No other specific OZ meets as the cars are so thin on the ground. Only Oz meet is at the Ace Cafe in January, so the best way to meet like minded owners is to be at the bigger American / Hot Rod / Custom meets and ask on here who else is going.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Gus

Post by Gus »

Thanks Matt.......I have got Mopar Euro Nats in the diary for Sunday 29th July...

Thought I might also wander over to the CCUK meet at Sharnbrook on Sunday 31st of June.....always had a soft spot for Vettes......

Gus