AKG 702K - 1971 VG Regal Hardtop

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

CLPete

AKG 702K - 1971 VG Regal Hardtop

Post by CLPete »

Annoyingly I bought this photo, and put it down somewhere in the house and can't find it! I'm sure it will turn up - when it does, I'll put a better quality scan up.

VG Regal Hardtop - AKG 702K - Dead - Photo sold on eBay 24.04.2020.png
VG Regal Hardtop - AKG 702K - Dead - Photo sold on eBay 24.04.2020.png (690.64 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

AKG 702K. 1971 VG Regal Hardtop. DVLA says untaxed since 01.09.1985. Lists colour as brown, and mentions the last V5c issued 06.01.87. Hung around 18 months untaxed on someones drive no doubt before being sold for the last time. It lasted around 14 years, which is much better than the 5(ish) years the blue CH lasted in the other thread I posted. Hardtops always held their value more when I was younger in Aus in the 70's & 80's. I assume it was the same here - no-one wanted the poos CH's!
1968 VE Valiant VIP (on road)
1972 CH Chrysler by Chrysler ("project")
1969 VF Valiant VIP (best called "spares")
Dave999

Re: AKG 702K - 1971 VG Regal Hardtop

Post by Dave999 »

if i had the cash and the space i'd have a VF or VG hard top

only got the charger cos it fitted in my Sydney suburb garage without hanging out a foot into the public area. modern flats with garages designed for euro-boxes and Japanese cars..., didn't regret the decision, a charger with its wider track and shorter wheelbase probably handles better.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

It's weird how your tastes are (I don't mean you personally! I mean as a general comment).

For me, when I was turning 18 the older square-bodies were "old-man" cars. I could never understand the massive money the Pacer hardtops would demand (by massive, I mean relative to the time - back 1989 - 1992 ish). I always preferred the 1972-on cars, which at that time were dirt cheap. I guess it is because I grew up with that (& a relative who went through a load of the 72-on shapes from the mid 80-s on) it's made me prefer the newer ones.

I have a VE 4-door now, but I really prefer the CH even though that's in a worse state.

I wonder if I'd been a little older, lived in a different area or had an older brother my tastes might have been different.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

the VG VF were just more what i thought an Aussie car should look like
i could look at a million vintage holdens and say naaaaaa
but a young dude in a 2 door VF with a 360 upfront made more of a statement in the Sydney suburbs
the chargers were all owned by older fellas..the cost was greater and restore it back to original was the in thing

a conservative take on a US design that could be hot rodded with a mean look its a 68 dart with an aussie grill.

the charger was designed that way in the first place... designed as a hot rod

love my charger...always had some Greek or Italian chap running over paying compliments and hey chargering a cruise through leichhardt was always high point

also opened my eyes to Aussie race relations... spent an interesting time down in Huskisson/ Jervis bay, great place, mental locals, having abuse thrown at my car all night from ass holes in utes blasting up and down the road by the camp site. Go home wog boy, @@@@ off home in your chariot was the chant, and didn't they look nonplussed when i got out of the tent to give some back.. not many southern Mediterraneans with "what was" blond hair, red sunburn, like i'd just got off the boat, and blue eyes

the car marked me out as a Greek Italian or Lebanese day tripper from the big city... and there was obviously some history that i wasn't aware of

but i would have both in a flash
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Ha, the race relations was what I meant about by "different suburb". I grew up in Melbourne, and some suburbs had different balances of people in than others.

It was such a stereotype it became a comedy series, complete with Valiant hardtop.

My younger brother traded his VH Charger for $Au200 in the late 90's for a used Ford. More reliable and respectable for the girlfriend though, at the time.