Period correct engine

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

GC1

Period correct engine

Post by GC1 »

Guys may wanna swap out my 302 ford V8 with a 1970 period correct power plant and auto box which is like for like.....turn key. any ideas from where here in uk.
Trigger_Andy

Re: Period correct engine

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Is this for the Green Machine thats back doing the rounds?

I guess you'd have to decide if you're going for the same engine the Car came with as per the VIN/Compliance Plate. Or an Engine that the Car could have came with from factory, or simply any period correct Mopar engine that will fit under the hood?

Facebay sometimes has running Mopar Engines for sale, or different facebay forums often have them pop up for sale. Could always try the wanted section here? Annoyingly an Aussie Mopar 318 with the Oil Filter relocation kits still installed was just up for sale on ebay and made £500.

But if you're wanting turn-key you may need to consider asking an engine builder here in the UK to build you one, or look to buy a Turn-Key Crate engine from the US.
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
Ace Dropshot

Post by Ace Dropshot »

Being a VF, chances are it was a originally a Slant Six. I think the 318 is what mine was swapped to. It was originally a Slant Six, which some believed was better than the V8 alternative at the time.
Aussie Chrysler VF Valiant "Scottish Val"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

904 trans and a 225 slant 6 or 273 or 318 v8 + converter and appropriate starter. this collection of parts should be all aussie or all US
mismatch between some starters and some converters should be avoided.

you will need

either

V8 K frame for v8

slant 6 K frame for slant 6

or a slant 6 k frame with expensive shumacher slant 6 to v8 conversion mounts

you should also check what is left of the cross member where the gearbox rear mount goes

you will need the bolt in rear mount + bolts + the rubber mount for a mid 60s A body and its going to be helpful if there is something to bolt it to

can be replaced with a 70s US bolt in part and the mid 70s spool type rubber but the bolt in mount will need to be chocked on YOUR passenger side as it does not follow the same "You can't put it in backwards" set up of the original . i.e an indentation in the car mounted part on that side, 4-5 repair washers from B&Q does the job. luckily fat bolt holes all in the same place...

the spool type mount is less prone to rotting once covered in trans fluid :)

all A body parts....

id suggest also that you might need a speedo cable...

if your floor and cross member have been hacked i'd put a Borg Warner T5 or a Aisin Warner W58 supra box in with a 318 on the front, and treat it nice it will be good for 300 Ftlb of torque but not for burnouts at every opportunity. if the rear axle is still aussie it will be a Borgwarner M75 they are OK and parts are not hard to get in Aus

the T5 will be easier as you have ford speedo cable and one presumes a ford mounting in the car for a ford box get a ford T5 from the US. I paid $350 or $400 + ron fenton STS imports shipping
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

A Hemi 6 is a decent option...

Dave mentions the prospect of the torsion bar crossmember having been butchered, so what I write here is in the belief that it hasn't or it will be fixed.

With a Hemi 6 to 3-speed bellhousing on a Hemi 6 you can use an A230 3-speed, it bolts straight up. They are available ex-US eBay etc very inexpensively, strong and have the synchro on first gear. Or you may find an A-body one locally. A B or C-body one will also fit but will require a shorter tail shaft and fiddling with the shifter location.

A833s are a bit harder to deal with as there is only one adaptor from Hemi 6 to these available at the moment - that I know of - and it's pretty expensive and in Australia.

The Hemi 6 is a lot of pounds lighter than the slant 6 and with decent carburetion approaches standard V8 horsepower. It is possible to alter the starter location etc on a (V8) 904 to suit, but requires delicate welding and machining.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Hi ray

good to see ya...

problem with a hemi 6 in the UK there are only 4 not in cars

i own 2 of them 1 original to the car, 1 to be made into something fun
and the 3rd is on a rack in a wreckers/breakers yard in Leicester, which would be fine if the owner had not died.....his daughter isn't up for selling much, and wouldn't know a hemi 6 if it slapped her in the face.

took me 2 years to get my spare one out of that yard and he was alive then....

the last is a 245 in Coventry motor museum, Hemi 245 and a Centura were lent to the museum by CAL and i think we forgot to give them back....

Dave
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

That makes it hard, Dave...

225 Slant 6 is probably the good option then, in due time to get some longer rods and fresh appropriate pistons with lower deck height, triple SUs, the slant 904 will handle that.

Long rods came in the 198 version of the slant 6.
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Dave999 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 20 4:52 pm Hi ray

good to see ya...

problem with a hemi 6 in the UK there are only 4 not in cars

i own 2 of them 1 original to the car, 1 to be made into something fun
and the 3rd is on a rack in a wreckers/breakers yard in Leicester, which would be fine if the owner had not died.....his daughter isn't up for selling much, and wouldn't know a hemi 6 if it slapped her in the face.

took me 2 years to get my spare one out of that yard and he was alive then....

the last is a 245 in Coventry motor museum, Hemi 245 and a Centura were lent to the museum by CAL and i think we forgot to give them back....

Dave
You've forgot Johns Hemi 6 pack up in deepest Aberdeenshire.

What was the hemi in the breakers out of?
Attachments
101682775_1085426785166070_153128846961410048_n.jpg
101682775_1085426785166070_153128846961410048_n.jpg (91.8 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

MattH

Post by MattH »

I didn't realise John had them over here, I thought they lived in NZ.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

All his other Chargers are still in NZ, he's got his Swedish R/T back over here after the resto.

Johns Charger was the star of the show last year where the original Swedish owner was reunited with it for the first time in many years and after its full resto. Its simply stunning, like it just left the factory. Hopefully I'll get a spin in it this year.

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yes but his hemi 6 is in his car... where its supposed to be

i was talking about hemi 6s lying about

and i only know of one

you can phone DB motors and ask.

https://www.dbmotors.net/

last time i was there 5- 10 years ago i.e about 2-3 years before martin died

drive down the drive to the house once the rabid dogs have been caged....you think i jest....!
on the right is a shed with a big scaffolding rack outside
blue single barrel hemi 6 under a tarp so its vj ute or 4 door automatic..been there since 1980s i had the other one on that shelf red 2bbl 1972 motor i paid #150 for motor and box, which we lifted down once we had repaired his forklift, and after stripping that motor could have run many 1000s Miles, it had been scrapped due to a cracked exhaust manifold..casting fault i presume, anyway

there is also a NOS slant 6 0 miles.... warranty engine hidden somewhere safe, but we didn't see it or all of the stuff from his racing days

in the yard sunk 1 foot into the ground 2 CH VH four doors 1 XB falcon like a rusted out bean can with about 3 interiors rotting in it and a pile of dust made up from a RHD barracuda and a VG valiant

the only stuff salvageable really are axles and suspension parts, me and VIPSteve had all the rest, switches trim power steering brake booster etc. all boxes and motors are in "THE SHEDs" , land is ex military facility, massive water tower and loads of concrete and asbestos buildings, and we were not allowed in there, martin took hours to realise we were not there to nick anything, we were not casing the joint, but was not up for showing us all of his GOOD STUFF.

then he got out his books of photos, plied us with oil slick cups of tea and biccies, we'd cleared his yard with hand tools, and helped fix is forklift... were we mugs? well kinda... But he'd got to places that had been overgrown for years so he was supremely happy.... he was involved with Big Bertha and super saloon racing, and became quite chatty, had a few choice NOS bits off him which i wouldn't have seen had we not been so accommodating with the manual labour.

he had rep for being an awkward old git, which in light of the fact that i think he knew for years that his time was limited is understandable.

his daughter is an affable sort...so you might make some head way she is the 3rd generation of the family to own a massive pile of rusting iron hidden in the bushes in the Leicestershire countryside

website has had a recent refresh maybe they are trading again.

as i say...took Steve and me 2 years to get an invite...the reception was supremely frosty to start off with, didn't really want us to know where the yard was, but couldn't manhandle the engines by himself so had to relent eventually. i just phoned every week until he got Peed off.

Dave