Peter Brock film

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

RW71

Peter Brock film

Post by RW71 »

A film about Peter Brock called Over The Top has been released this month, looks pretty good, this is the trailer for it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1opYdV_Gvo
CLPete

Re: Peter Brock film

Post by CLPete »

Thanks for the link, interesting trip down memory lane.
1968 VE Valiant VIP (on road)
1972 CH Chrysler by Chrysler ("project")
1969 VF Valiant VIP (best called "spares")
rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

i was aware how good a driver his brother phi l was and his roles in the movie industry
rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

i wonder if the film skips the Energy Polariser !
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

rfullarton wrote: Thu Jul 09, 20 12:47 pm i wonder if the film skips the Energy Polariser !
Thats hilarious. : D

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/pet ... 2beb3460be
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

I met Brock at the Goodwood Revival about 15 years ago. He was absolutely charming, but what really impressed me was that he recognised me the following year. Sadly, that was shortly before he died.

I shall look forward to this film - thanks for the heads up :thumbright:
MattH

Post by MattH »

I will look out for this. Brock is a proper Aussie legend.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

and here is everything that was kinda wrong with Aussie car culture in the 80s plenty of bog rolls, no boxes of Chrystals...the energy here gets aligned by beer. its a documentary no idea if it ever went on general release

sit back and be amazed at

1) the idiocy of it all
2) the rather serious treatment by.......... to coin an aussie phrase ......."So-Called Experts", to what is really, just anti-social behaviour

"male space??" shut up....

Get some " V8 Masculinity" in your life

the real reason many went to Bathurst

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Pure madness! Utterly bonkers and Im not even sure if Id wanna spend a weekend there, and I like thinks to get a little wild. :D

I see the Scottish are slightly over represented in the vid as well. :D
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
adrianp

Post by adrianp »

Thanks for that Dave, hadn't seen it before. Be interesting to see something like that on the crowds at the early Summernats and see what their 'analysis' of that is :)

adrian.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

adrianp wrote: Sat Jul 18, 20 8:39 am Thanks for that Dave, hadn't seen it before. Be interesting to see something like that on the crowds at the early Summernats and see what their 'analysis' of that is :)

adrian.
id guess much the same, it probably started up as the police cracked down on this kinda thing. but with less wanton destruction and more topless ladies... best vehicle for the summernats was supposedly a ute with a mattress in the tray.... :)

and of course we have to remember in the UK, it was football that resulted in this kind of excess, and with much more sinister undertones in respect to the violence and the extreme political groups that got involved... i doubt Bathurst was of note due to stabbings and beatings

but hey dance music and Ecstasy fixed all that... i guess its harder to beat someone senseless if they are wearing a fishing hat and a smiley face t shirt, and they just complimented you on your choice of training shoe.

Dave
rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

you might enjoy this one ..

rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

This is a very good documentary on the changing nature of Australia and the unintended consequences .. there are many parallels to what is happening across the world

but on the point of bathurst .. i knew of the craziness on the mountain but never knew about the fire fires at night and the number of cars being burnt

that is utter madness .. but the rest should have been tolerated

sanitising the whole event when bathurst is so huge that there is plenty of space to have different areas seems over kill.. but bathurst was the just another part of Australian ocker culture that the liberal elite was embarrassed about and wanted ti removed so they can feel better for themselves

what was a pilgrimage to the mountain for a few days of craziness has been converted into smaller events across the country ..as the films demonstrates

it was much better for this activity to happen on top of a mountain than on local streets which has had the opposite effect of making hoonism more accepted in a lower form .. which had lessened australian culture overall

it simple terms .. these has mad Australasian more bogan overall ..

just like football hooligans .. or the big parties at a f1 race .. alot of people goto sport not for the sport

mateship is very important, male spaces are very important

i have to disagree with dave re there was nothing wrong with 1980s Australian car culture !!!

P.S Fords rule !

Dave999 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 20 9:47 am and here is everything that was kinda wrong with Aussie car culture in the 80s plenty of bog rolls, no boxes of Chrystals...the energy here gets aligned by beer. its a documentary no idea if it ever went on general release

sit back and be amazed at

1) the idiocy of it all
2) the rather serious treatment by.......... to coin an aussie phrase ......."So-Called Experts", to what is really, just anti-social behaviour

"male space??" shut up....

Get some " V8 Masculinity" in your life

the real reason many went to Bathurst

Dave
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Kinda wrong.... different from wrong-wrong...no one is setting out to deliberately harm, although some lack of judgement or understanding of the consequences of actions is evident :)

everyone has got to let rip every now again but you have to agree....that looks mental.... all the gang related connotations of the football violence here in the UK, but with a focus that seemed to be kill the car rather than anything else, doesn't appear to be driven by a criminal motivation, the obvious aim was to have fun and i agree nothing wrong with that...

wilful vandalism and destruction is Great fun :) but kinda wrong....

for example the food fight is great fun for everyone apart from the person who's job it is to deal with the mess...the fall out and ultimately try to tidy up.

i'm sure the local salvage yard benefited, can't leave that lot on the verges of a public road....:)

but i can't see the local council being all for it no matter how much money went through the tills of the local shops.

we had similar here in the UK

bike or scooter rally road blocks police, board up the shops, stage on fire, AA van on fire, parts stalls looted, local youth tooled up and out for a fight, Chaos descends on sleepy seaside town on the front page of the daily mirror.

now all those chaps are in the 50s welcomed with open arms, they all have a licence and a road legal vehicle they don't smash everything up or use peoples gardens as public toilets anymore.

but is it as much fun?

Dave
rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

australia didnt have football violence back in the day although it has crept in that last few years

one of the biggest rivalries was ford vs holden with the epicenter being bathurst .. but it rarely fell into proper violence

i agree that the destruction was unnecessary and had to be cleaned up .. the toilet block destruction was just silly .. and yes the situation had got out of control and was finally having a negative impact on the perception of the race in the general public .. ie should it be cancelled .. so the organisers acted very decisively

did the warzone have to turn into a family fair .. or could it have stayed a more controlled version of what had happened before ?

i think the movie was trying to say was it better that this occurred at the top of an empty mountain .. rather than what is happening now which is it has been spreads to towns .. and has a much greater impact on the general population

but i agree this level of craziness was never needed and should never have been allowed

i wonder if the whole thing would have finished naturally as the Australian car industry finished ?