Vh charger

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Ready 2 Rumble

Vh charger

Post by Ready 2 Rumble »

Hi everyone, I’m hoping someone might be able to help me.
A few months ago I bought a Chrysler Charger in need of a restoration. It had the v5 and matching chassis plate which I transferred to my name. It came full of spare parts and sorting through it I found another chassis plate. I then had the whole car shot blasted which revealed the chassis number stamped in the o/s inner wing which matches the plate I found in the car not the one on the v5! I have asked the DVLA to check the chassis number stamped on the car but they couldn’t find any details.
Is there some way this car can be identified and have the DVLA send me an age related number plate and v5?
Many thanks for any help with this, I wasn’t expecting to have this problem when I bought it. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave999

Re: Vh charger

Post by Dave999 »

Vin plate should match the number on the inner wing.... sounds like yours has been subjected to some silly or illegal jiggery pokery

what is the number on the inner wing and we can work out which car it is...

this only works if the inner wing is original

you may have a spare chassis plate because someone swapped the inner wing to repair crash damage and thought difficulties might ensue in later life...

no reason for anyone to be swapping Vin plates on these in the UK as nearly all came here 71-74 and there were only 2 really interesting ones, an R/T and an E55 both of those are sold back to AUS or dismantled, its not like there is money in turning 1 trim level into another when 99.9999999% of them were 318 engined 770 trim level cars. i.e GT spec.

but if you let me know the chassis number i might be able to ID the car.

once we have done that Matt Hollingsworth is the man who can help. he is called MattH on here and can help with registration difficulties and age related plate stuff

2 choices

1) leave well alone and get it back on the road based on what the DVLA have about it
2) go through process to get VIN matching chassis and proceed from there

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS mine was registered with the DVLA with the wrong chassis number... due to some weird carry on when i got it MOTed before i registered it after import. got the form updated to correct info using the "tell us about any mistakes" section on the document i have
Ready 2 Rumble

Post by Ready 2 Rumble »

Hi, thanks so much for your reply
Ok this is what is stamped into the inner wing
6H29 591 SOA579
On the plate it has this
Vh series 6h29
Body no 591
Body insert RF BERG4438
Trim code Y1
Options S77 F56
When I had it shot blasted it brought up all the previous repairs but I have had a good look at the inner wing and it looks original. I was wondering if at some point someone reshelled it because there original one was to corroded. There must have been two of them as it came with so many spare parts. Before it was blasted you could definitely tell it was orange and I believe that is also what the chassis plate denotes.
Hope this all makes sense!
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

sent you some stuff potential engine numbers etc based only on the inner wing data

originally an orange charger with black trim made on 21/01 1972 previous reg, RAN 5L or WEU334L

whats on both of your VIN TAGS

and RF is the famous hemi orange
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

F56 anti freeze...... that option is easy to put back if its now missing
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Y1 Gold interior trim X1 black interior trim

i have never seen gold interior so presume mis stamp on VIN.

SOA 579 is also logged against another car...odd as i thought they were unique... unless 2 were ordered at the same time
Ready 2 Rumble

Post by Ready 2 Rumble »

Hi
Thanks so much for all this info I really can’t tell you how much I appreciate it! Can’t believe I didn’t ask earlier. You are right about the trim code it is x1, I had a look from the back and it’s a bit clearer.
Not sure what to do with this logbook and plate I have that’s not for this car, this is what is on the plate
Series 6h29
Body no 1359
Body insert SA berg4317
Options f56 s77 x78
Reg is KCY211L
If that’s of any interest. I have the engine out, can you tell me where I can find the engine no? It has been painted at some point. Do I need to scrape the paint away to check? There is some numbers raised on the block ending in 318 but I don’t think that is it. Cheers
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

No probs

I believe that the number is on a pad that is on the passenger side front of the block below the cylinder head.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

if you have logbook and vin that match but do not match the car you own, then up to you if they sit in a draw or you register the car that doesn't exist as scrapped. but that would be my last move after i have the car i have in hand on the road

and you have a car with no log book and the correct VIN plate? Do you have a receipt for the sale to you?

then we know the car is 591 and we know what its previous 2 registrations were so it just needs to be properly registered as what it is

VH 770 body 591 Orange with 5.2 litre V8

KCY211L is according to the DVLA

Colour
Silver
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
5 March 1973
MattH

Post by MattH »

If it is already registered and you have a V5 then leave well alone.
When these were imported they often put wrong numbers on the V55 form, mine has the RPBERG number which is a paint code, it was a private import in 1976.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
MattH

Post by MattH »

Dave999 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 21 3:21 pm sent you some stuff potential engine numbers etc based only on the inner wing data

originally an orange charger with black trim made on 21/01 1972 previous reg, RAN 5L or WEU334L

whats on both of your VIN TAGS

and RF is the famous hemi orange
Both those reg numbers look familiar to me. I'd need to do some digging but they have both come to my notice at some time.
Ready 2 Rumble

Post by Ready 2 Rumble »

It was sold to me with a v5 from another Charger but with the info Dave found I have now applied for the correct v5 for this car. Hopefully all going well I should have it in 5-6 weeks 🤞
MattH

Post by MattH »

My records show WEU334L was originally RAN5L and I assisted in proving the age back in 2003 to get it registered as historic based on its VIN and being a VH Charger. I never actually saw the car but may have seen pictures. I seem to remember it being a restoration project in matt black, not a running car.

It was owned by a guy in Kent who also owned BPA256K which was a metallic bronze VH770 which was seen at the Ace Cafe in Jan 2004 but I think went back to Australia after that.
Attachments
Ace Cafe Oz Day04 030.jpg
Ace Cafe Oz Day04 030.jpg (69.05 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Ace Cafe Oz Day04 031.jpg
Ace Cafe Oz Day04 031.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
lights.jpg
lights.jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

lets hope you get a DVLA person willing to go further than "computer says no". they can be perfectly helpful when they want to be.

Dave