68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by mygasser »

ok so today started with a few overdue jobs on ashley's zephyr. first was some chassis strengthening around the rear coilover mounts. i originally only fitted shock absorbers and the posty mate who bought it from me later fitted the coilovers to lift the rear some more. so, some years later we had several stress cracks. these got welded then the surrounding areas were braced with plenty of 2mm plate. while i was doing this ash' fitted new polybushes to the front tie rods as the sponge rubber ford ones were way past there sell by date.
with those jobs done we removed the engine and box from the valiant as it's being collected in the week. that all went well with no problems so i can start the mock up of the 383 next weekend.
Attachments
IMG_0002 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG (130.23 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (120.58 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG (79.89 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

If you use Schumacher mounts it's a bolt in job. Personally I'd use a pair of later spool type mounts, chop the six pot mounts off the K frame and fab to suit.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

hi blue,
the schumacher mounys are showing out of stock on their website mate. i'll make my own, a through bolt type with poly bushes probably.
cheers, neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the s/six and box are being collected wednesday evening so i can clear up all the anti freeze and trans fluid in the garage #-o
then i've decided to mock up the 383/727 (make mounts etc) before i pull them apart for a freshen up, i'm not fitting the torque convertor either for this. reason is if i fit it all in i KNOW i'll just get it going and use it as is. i want to paint the engine bay and the engine/box so this way i have to take them back out and they'll get what they need before the final fit up.
well it makes sense to me anyway ;)
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

s/six and 904 gone, now there's room to start the 383 mockup. i had a look and it has the stock single point dizzy which will stay. yes an electronic one performs a bit better but with spare points and condensor i will always get home. if an electronic module goes south it's a ride on the AA tow truck. it's not being built as a race car so i'm happy with points ignition and a carb for fuelling.
neil.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

mygasser wrote: Thu Aug 23, 18 9:01 pm s/six and 904 gone, now there's room to start the 383 mockup. i had a look and it has the stock single point dizzy which will stay. yes an electronic one performs a bit better but with spare points and condensor i will always get home. if an electronic module goes south it's a ride on the AA tow truck. it's not being built as a race car so i'm happy with points ignition and a carb for fuelling.
neil.
My Coronet is still on points. Runs like a dream :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yep, they're fine mate. i put a new points dizzy in the 440 in my old 65 dart and it was cushty.
neil.
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

Are you going to change the torsion bars to something a bit bigger? My Dart ones were uprated and that was an engine change from a 6 pot to a 360 small block... sure you’ve thought about it already, just wondered.
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

if the funds are there to buy them before i start reassembly then yes i will. if not i'll wind up the 6 pot ones and use it like that for now. i did that with a 65 dart i put a 440 into and it was fine. i'd rather put the money towards ally heads for the 383 to be honest and with them fitted the 383 won't be a lot different weight wise to the slant six. it'll never be a corner carver with 165x15 front tyres so having stiff front suspension isn't a priority.
cheers, neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

been sorting a wilwood brake kit for the front end. we're the wilwood official agents at work so getting what i want is easy. plus with lots of new 'old type' calipers i can get very cheap i'll order the kit without calipers and save even more. for the 9" axle on the rear i'll use the finned ally handbrake calipers we do with discs to suit.
wilwood update their range often so we get left with stock of now 'obsolete' calipers which the boss has now decided to sell cheap so if anyone needs any let me know what you need and i'll ask if we have them.
cheers, neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

progress will have to stop for a little while as i've just been given a 30' x 9' concrete sectional garage for free. and the guy even bought a new steel roof which he never fitted and that comes with it too . so i can get that erected on the property i bought from my neighbour and move my vintage rolls royce clone i built with my dad out of storage. i'll lose time on the valiant but the storage payments saved can be used to buy more parts so win win.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Sounds like a good plan to me.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i had a deal earlier this week, included with the free garage was 11 8x4 sheets of 11mm osb board. i sold them for £100 this week which covers the cost of the mini digger to level the ground for the garage. that'll be next weekend.
i also collected a prop' to fit the 727 box today. thanks to stuart 'stu twin' here on the mma forum, nice to meet you mate. :D
plus i bought a hardly used 'shiny' 750 holley off ebay for £108 posted for the 383, bargain.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Very productive! :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Pete wrote: Sun Sep 23, 18 9:03 pm Very productive! :thumbright:
i thought so pete :thumbright: