68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by mygasser »

i've got 3 or 4 somewhere in a box, i try not to throw anything away. i just need to remember where the box is and i'll be fine. this last year i've started writing on boxes what's in them but i have years or 'no name' boxes too, guess where the spacers are? :-k
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

just ordered a boss kit and horn button so i can fit my old grant wood rim steering wheel :D
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

next purchase is a mini starter to give me more header room. i'll get it swapped in before i bolt the headers up for good.
neil.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

mygasser wrote: Sun May 09, 21 8:40 pm next purchase is a mini starter to give me more header room. i'll get it swapped in before i bolt the headers up for good.
neil.
i got one off rockauto or ebay potentially a recon one never had a problem £40 with something daft like £30 shipping. still 100 less than getting one here. Any off a car that had a 318 or 360 will do

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yep, it was just over £75 delivered inc' duties from us ebay. it arrived yesterday along with the grant boss kit and button (also from us ebay).
the 'global shipping program' ebay uses make sparts buying affordable from the states again.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i started on the hybrid propshaft today. the explorer tube is smaller than the mopar tube so will slide inside. it's not a good fit but it is the correct difference to allow a couple of sleeves made from one of the tubes to fit and weld tight on the small tube which is then a very tight fit inside the large tube which will be welded also. it'll sleeve about 2' 6" inside so nice and straight, if it needs balancing at all i'll sort that later. i'll sort some pics tomorrow as i get it done. i've done many prop's this way so don't have any issues with it.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i finished up the propshaft today, it all went as expected and i gave it a couple of coats of primer and some satin black so it's now ready to fit when the time comes.
i also swapped in the new mini starter and fitted the dust shields in front of and under the flywheel, 'cos i had them. i was going to bolt the headers up but the gaskets that came with them have rectangular port shapes on the end cylinders and you can see daylight in the lower outer corners so they're no good. new proper shape gaskets will be the next purchase.
next then will be fitting the new water pump and front accessory drive stuff then i can sort radiator hoses.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (27).JPG
IMG_0001 (27).JPG (119.5 KiB) Viewed 809 times
IMG_0002 (22).JPG
IMG_0002 (22).JPG (98.76 KiB) Viewed 809 times
IMG_0003 (14).JPG
IMG_0003 (14).JPG (121 KiB) Viewed 809 times
IMG_0004 (13).JPG
IMG_0004 (13).JPG (104.47 KiB) Viewed 809 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

New
today i painted the new water pump (it's cast iron so would rust real fast) and while it was drying i finalised the spacers needed for the alternator brackets. then i bolted on the mechanical fuel pump, of course the fuel hose from the hard line was roughly 2" short so that'll need replacing. i'll get ethanol resistant hose and replace the bit at the tank end too. after lunch i fitted the new water pump and alternator with it's brackets for the last time. just the fan spacer and fan and i can sort the rad' hoses. oh and a couple of heater hose fittings for the water pump and intake, i like to use my cars in the winter too and the heater worked great when i used it last. i sorted through the fan belts i have here and none are long enough, the closest being about 3/4" too short so i'll order that next week too.
i spoke to a mate who can cnc plasma cut anything and he's going to cut me some thick copper header gaskets. at least i shouldn't have to remove the headers....... again (fingers crossed).
no pics as you all know what a fitted water pump, alternator etc looks like.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it's got to that part of the build where some parts are needed. today's orders were ethanol safe fuel hose (for the whole fuel system) with stainless steel hose clamps ('cos they're pretty and shiny), 2 rebuildable glass and chrome fuel filters, 2 heater hose fittings for the motor, a 2" fan spacer and some heater hose. i'll measure what i need for radiator hoses tomorrow and order the silicon hoses (in black not a tarty colour), aluminium joining tubes and more stainless hose clamps.
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Sounds like you are making great strides to completion now.

Personally, I am not a fan of glass filters - they may look cool and you can see fuel flow, but I think they are a bit of a safety hazard, still each to their own... onwards and upwards..
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i like the fact that you can see if they require cleaning and the fact that you 'can' strip and clean them. as long as they're not swinging about in the breeze where they can bang against something and shatter i don't have any issues with them.
and yes i'm going to get it out this summer, i've even changed from laid up insurance to full cover so it's legal to go as soon as i get it ready.
i can't wait. :D
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i started fitting stuff today. all of the new fuel pipes and filters are in place, i'm just waiting for hose clamps to finish that off. i've fitted stainless p clips just under the 2 filters and y piece to stop them waving about and breaking the glass tubes. i also fitted the flexalite 2" fan spacer kit which has placed the flex fan about an inch back from the radiator core. i ordered a fanbelt and collected the silicon hoses, ally tubes and stainless clamps this evening too for the radiator hoses. last job was to check the wiring for the ignition sub loom as i'm fitting mopar electronic ignition where this car was points before.
pics tomorrow.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i did the radiator hoses, heater hoses and fittings, temp' sender, fanbelt and fitted the ignition box to the inner wing. still waiting for the hose clamps for the fuel lines. the engine compartment is starting to look much 'busier' now. oh, and i ordered 2 air filters so i can cut the bonnet and see if the scoop clears or will need altering/raising up a bit. i'll be sorting the engine bay wiring next, it's getting close to a fire up :thumbsup:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (29).JPG
IMG_0001 (29).JPG (141.43 KiB) Viewed 745 times
IMG_0003 (15).JPG
IMG_0003 (15).JPG (141.45 KiB) Viewed 745 times
IMG_0002 (24).JPG
IMG_0002 (24).JPG (121.49 KiB) Viewed 745 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the hose clamps arrived and i just ordered an acc carpet set which should be here in time for when i'm onto the interior.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i finished all the fuel lines in the engine compartment, just the short bit at the sender unit to do now. next i got out the haynes manual and sorted what wires do what, it wasn't a case of laying it around the engine as it was a slant six and now it's a small block v8 so i had to go through the wiring diagram to sort wire colours and unpick the loom to route wires where they needed to go. the oil pressure warning light didn't work, even when shorted to the block so i checked the wiring back to the bulkhead connector and that was all good. to check the bulb i first had to remove the a/c vent/duct 'box' from under the dash to gain access. sure enough it was just a blown bulb, but what a pain to get to it. once my coil arrives i can fit that too, i have the wires all ready to cut to length and connect up.
lastly some 'mechanical' jobs, i made up copper vacuum pipes for the vacuum secondary 'cans' on both carbs and sorted the throttle linkage, just a return spring bracket to make and that's all done.
so a fairly productive day i think :thumbright:
neil.
ps as i'm getting all tarty with carpet and suchlike i've ordered a new interior dome light lens as mine has a large chunk missing.