68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by mygasser »

so..... as i'm tight, i mean frugal and use whatever comes up on my builds i've bought some more parts.
all i needed parts wise for the straight axle swap was a pair of coilovers, a new pair of spax came up on the nsra forum last night at about half retail at £80 so i bought them. also a (don't start now) corvette disc/disc 1" bore mater cylinder new for £25 which i'll make a 2 to 4 bolt adapter for and will work just fine, i'll tell the car it's a summit cylinder not a gm one lol. lastly boxes of assorted brake line fittings in metric and imperial (the vette master is metric) so i can replumb the whole car when i do it. until i drive it afterwards i won't know if it'll need an adjustable proportioning valve so i'll fit a female/female joiner in the rear line so if needed i can just remove that and the pipework will screw straight into the valve. at £50 if i don't need it i won't buy it.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

ashley called me this afternoon to ask if i'd started to swap out the shifter in his zephyr. daz' cruise night is tonight he says and do i want to take the valiant and he'll take the zephyr. hell yeah! it's about 15-18 miles each way so just right for a first run out and close enough to home if there's any issues. it all went well, the brakes are crap (but i knew that), the carbs want at least a strip and clean and the propshaft needs balancing. other than that it's just great and those issues won't stop me using it, i'll just work at/live with them until i pull it apart for the straight tube axle install this winter.
oh, and ashleys zephyr runs nice and cool now with the griffin ally rad' i fitted yesterday so he's happy too.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

here's a couple of pics the meet photographer took last night
neil.
Attachments
241397889_4253891534647618_2471778676917859185_n.jpg
241397889_4253891534647618_2471778676917859185_n.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
facebook_1630855132040_6840302203736692761.jpg
facebook_1630855132040_6840302203736692761.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

been out in the garage tinkering today before a test drive again. first job, the carbs. i started the car and warmed it up so it'd idle then checked the float levels first. the secondaries on the front carb and both on the rear one were way low, that and fact that the accelerator pump arm had a ton of play on the rear carb would explain the popping back through that carb when coming out of a corner. i altered the throttle return spring bracket as it wouldn't quite return to idle unless you blipped the throttle and lastly set the idle mixture as all 4 screws were all over the place. i thought i'd have a twiddle of the dizzy to see if there was any benefit to be had there too, i've advanced it a good 10 degrees and it's much more responsive now (had to turn the idle down some more) but even at almost idle in 4th gear it pulls cleanly with no pinking/rattling so we're good. i'm running it on our super unleaded E5 which is 99 octane so that helps. overall it's much more driveable and i didn't have to buy kits for the carbs so that's good. who said tunnel rams aren't streetable?
next i wound the driver's side torsion bar up a full turn as it sat down much lower that side, the ss springs at the back don't help but it's almost level now. i may have to set the coilovers at different heights too when i fit the tube axle, we'll see.
i gave it a nut and bolt check too, all good there and i tightened the new fanbelt now as it's settled into the pulleys.
all in all a productive day :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i've just ordered a lever type proportioning valve, a line lock valve kit, all the fittings and a lever type brake shutoff valve that i'll use instead of the hydraulic handrake setup as it'll take up less room and do the same job.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

well i've gone and done it, the valiant's going to bristol to live with a mate who is very excited to have it. i'm taking his chevy truck project as a small px so i'll start a thread in the alternative muscle section here when it arrives. it does have a hemi in it, a daimler one but still a hemi, lol.
neil.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Seems you do like your projects :) I'll look forward to another interesting build thread :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Two pics and then it was gone :shock:

Ah well. Is the hemi a 2.5 or a 4.5 ?
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Dom66 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 21 8:25 am Two pics and then it was gone :shock:

Ah well. Is the hemi a 2.5 or a 4.5 ?
only a baby 2.5, but it's all about the looks :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the valiant's going wednesday but i couldn't leave the front alone. i'd wound the driver's side torsion bar up a turn to level the front where the ss leaves at the back make them sit wonky. it wasn't enough so another turn and presto it's level. not content another 2 turns each side gave the stance i wanted and coincidentaly so does mark the new owner so it's happy faces all round. at least it will be when he sees it, he asked for pics but it's a secret 'til he arrives to collect it lol. he says he'll radius the rear arches and fit wider 10'' slot mags and tyres but doesn't want the tube axle up front. he wants a driver not a project and with just a few little 'snagging' jobs to do it'll be just right. :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

so the valiant's gone off into the sunset, well afternoon sun anyway. i now have the truck project i took as a small px, lots to do but the basic fab' work's done. i started a thread in 'alternative muscle' on here as it seemed the best fit.
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

It's a shame you never really got to play with the Valiant after all that hard work....still onwards and upwards!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Pete wrote: Wed Sep 22, 21 7:01 pm It's a shame you never really got to play with the Valiant after all that hard work....still onwards and upwards!
i did over 100 miles in it ;)
MattH

Post by MattH »

Very surprised you moved this on after all the hard work.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Spotted on Facebook 8-)
hgghf.jpg
hgghf.jpg (88.25 KiB) Viewed 1014 times