Dave's 72 Dart

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave81

Dave's 72 Dart

Post by Dave81 »

Decided its time that i started the Workshop thread on the Dart as i suppose by changing the wheels i've actually started! :scratch:

I'll be using this as my build thread for the car!

Firstly i never intended to do a full resto on the car, but after a few minor issues at the start (not all car related) and me being quite picky i decided that if i was gonna do it, i'd do it the way i'd always dreamed off and do it properly. A true Muscle Car!

As the car was originally a slanty and not that shade of Blue (its 3 at the mo and no fender tag) i'm happy that i've got a blank canvas of which to build on! Color choices are still open. Engine and drivetrain is kind of set, i'll be staying SB. Wheels choices and me change as much as the weather, but will initially set on Steels!

Taken most of this from the Owners thread:

I purchased the car at the end of August from a member on here!

The car was built at the Hamtramck Michigan Plant in July 1972.

The car was brought in by Rays Classics in 2009, and i'm the 3rd owner in the UK!

Under the hood is a stock 318 running a 3 speed 904 mated to a 7 1/4 with 2.76's (more cruise than muscle atm). The only aftermarket addition being the 2 barrel carb that has been dumped in favour of a 4 barrel 600cfm Eddy.

The car has front discs and rear drums (small bolt pattern) sitting on 15" compomotive wheels. I've got the original 14" Ralley's sat in the garage should i want to go back to stock.

The interior is all B5 Blue and and needs a bit of tidying, saying that, the main thing is that all the parts are there!!

So............its going to be a long term project rather than a quick turnaround.

The main thing is the car runs, drives, stops and puts a grin on the face! :twisted:

ImageImageImageImage[/quote]

So that was the car back in Sept 2011.

Since then i've had an intersting time. Meg, my daughter was born at the end of Sept 2011 which lead to a near stop to anything but posting on here.

In Sept 2012 i was made redundant after 6 years with little warning! Which was closely followed by death of a family member, and then me starting my new job and my daughters 1st B'day (hell of a month)!

The 12 months of downtime actually helped in all honesty. It took me that long to narrow down at which point to actually start sorting the car!

As it was at the end of Sept 2012

Firstly i ripped out all the speaker and audio wiring that is shown hanging from below the dash (gone). The wheels from above have gone and have been replaced with 14" steels for now. All 8 original wheels (15's and Rallye's) have been sold to a fellow member and gone.

From here i've just started collecting parts for the rear end swap out.

The 8.75 (BBP A Body Axle) was sourced from the states from a guy called Dr Diff (Cass Eslick), he comes highly regarded on yank sites and after recieving it in early Dec i can see why. Quality bit of kit.

Have also aquired new 10x2.5" brakes from another respected US retailer.

I'll await the upcoming purchase of springs/shocks and 3rd member before posting photo's of these (will also give me a chance to take a decent photo)............

To be Continued........... :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Pete

Post by Pete »

Looking forward to the ongoing write up and pictures :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Does sit nice , Dave :thumbright:
Randy Jewell

Post by Randy Jewell »

Love it :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cant wait to see the pics Dave and glad you are happy with the axle from the US! This will be a great build, your car is a cracking blank canvas and will be great seeing her with all the work done to your specs etc.....

Having seen your car in the flesh, I like the colour. What are your thoughts....plum crazy??? go on, you know you want to!! :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Steve wrote:Cant wait to see the pics Dave and glad you are happy with the axle from the US! This will be a great build, your car is a cracking blank canvas and will be great seeing her with all the work done to your specs etc.....

Having seen your car in the flesh, I like the colour. What are your thoughts....plum crazy??? go on, you know you want to!! :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Thanks all! :thumbright:

Yes mate i too am looking forward to starting the project! :read2:

As for color.

Well i know for sure it wont be Pink (not really me), Plum Crazy (prefer it on Demon and Dusters), Sublime (Justin), Dark Green (Doug and Paulo) or Red (Sam). Do love Bronze but not sure it suits the 70+ (love it on pre 70's).

Would like something kinda unique in the UK TBH, but inkeeping with original Mopar colors.

Outside choices are White with black or black with something (red or white)...........Color is a long way down the line though, so pleanty of time to think about it! :D
72 Dodge Dart

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Dave.
Steel rims. Matt black hood. Patina as is.
Spot on.
Look like a super tough brawler. Lovely.
My personal opinion of course :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Mossy68 wrote:Dave.
Steel rims. Matt black hood. Patina as is.
Spot on.
Look like a super tough brawler. Lovely.
My personal opinion of course :thumbright:
Mid year 2013 photo's will be very much as you've noted! :thumbright:
.................................................................................................

Update:

The British weather has proved two things in the last few days:

1) I hate British weather.
2) Trying to move about in an American car in a standard british garage is no fun.........I need a double. The hunt for original paperwork has been supsended due to rain (not pushing the car out)!

Anyway with not being able to move interior parts about and wanting to do something meant that i did two of those small jobs that was way down the todo list.

When i got the car the light swith knob had long since dissapeared and been replace by what can be best described as sculpted kriptonite:

At this years NATS i picked up a good used one from a fellow member for the price of a beer (cheers Justin).............Now fitted.

Looks a lot better.

Another short term fix from a previous owner was that the lock bar had gone missing from the glove compartment. The constantly dropping door was solved at the time with a screwe between trim pieces (top left):

While poking around under the dash at wiring and looking at the glove compartment cardboard surround i put my hand in and moved the very loose cardboard round, only to be met with the sound of scratching metal.

Further investigation found that housed under the cardboard housing and above the underside of the dash metal was another xmas gift.........The missing lock bar.........Always nice finding free fixes! :D :D :D

After mounting it back in it was quickly apparent that the bar had been bent at least 50 degrees in the wrong direction...........Cue Hammer time.

After hammer and trial a few times i got as far as i could before being called back to father duties. Still needs a bit more adjusting to try and get it square, but it now locks the glove box shut and can be re-opened via key. No more screw in dash :woohoo: :D :thumbright:

72 Dodge Dart

Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

i have a mint dash pad for thar dave it beige but will color up nice
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great photos Dave and all those little jobs make a difference mate, before you know it, it will all come together! Dashpad would be a very good addition to the resto!!!

:thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Dave,
I still like it in the B3. Nice to see you're making progress, despite the weather!
Chris
Happy New Year ( to all)
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Cannonball wrote:i have a mint dash pad for thar dave it beige but will color up nice
Cheers Dunc........You have PM! :thumbright:

Thnks for the comments Chris/Steve! :thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart

autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Love it keep the pictures coming :thumbright: :thumbright:
68Roadrunner

72 dart

Post by 68Roadrunner »

nice to see youve made a start dave, its them little jobs that take the time, stance and wheels look good on your car :lol: mines off for mot next week cheers richard
V8 Sam

Post by V8 Sam »

The bottom to my glove box no longer exists =[