1973 Charger winter makeover thread

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

SJH

Post by SJH »

Great work, love the stripes I think they enhance the profile, well done
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Very nice 8-) 8-)
pinoccio

Post by pinoccio »

great job you have done there mate. full credit for all your determination to get it done, and done how you want it. great stuff. reggie
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Congrats.....It looks stunning!!!! 8-)

Done more to yours in 5 months than I have in 5 years!!!

Just drive and clean it now then...... :twisted: :thumbright:

Have to say I really liked the original colour.........but I'd take the Orange any day of the week!!!!!
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Final bits and pieces done this afternoon before a shakedown run. The new suspension bits made a huge difference. Drove really well, no wallowing.
Still got a clonk from somewhere, and its still not running right... Need some help with that (see post in engine/carb section).
Out in the sun she looked pretty dazzling! Very pleased with the look. If i could just get it running right, i'd be set!

Rear "Go" wing has been ordered....

"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
Pete

Post by Pete »

That looks superb 8-)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
XP29

Post by XP29 »

That looks great!! :thumbright:
1966 Charger, 383 4bbl, 4 speed manual trans, Sure-grip, original paint.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Excellent,you must be chuffed with that,stripes really make a difference.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Fairplay, thats nice .. :thumbright:
billybob73

Post by billybob73 »

top job looks great 8-)
life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get next
Casper

Post by Casper »

That looks brilliant - hats off to you :thumbright:
MattH

Post by MattH »

That does look absolutely stunning. The stripes break up the orangeness perfectly and it sits just right.

I know I was in the keep it original camp but I think you have made the right decision here and this looks fabulous.

Absolute credit to your hard work and determination, and to get it done so quickly, and in time for show season. 8-)
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
BJ Mac

Post by BJ Mac »

Looks great :thumbright:
71 Dodge Dart
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

MattH wrote:That does look absolutely stunning. The stripes break up the orangeness perfectly and it sits just right.

I know I was in the keep it original camp but I think you have made the right decision here and this looks fabulous.

Absolute credit to your hard work and determination, and to get it done so quickly, and in time for show season. 8-)

What Matt said :iagree: :thumbright:
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Got the Charger home this weekend, and have been roaring about in the lovely sunny weather. The shakedown runs have uncovered some more bits to do. Worst of which is some knocking bottom arm bushes (can't believe i missed them). Carb still needs a bit of tweaking as well.
During the week it was more detail bits and pieces. Its surprising how long it all takes. Fitted a new turn signal cam to cure a floppy lever, and because it was aftermarket part it didn't fit quite right. It took hours to get the contacts in the right position so the indicators and brake lights all worked correctly. I had to walk away a few times to cool off as it was infuriating! :roll:

One of the first things i bought was a new heater panel transfer. The old figures were unreadable and looked very tatty. To fit this involved lots of grunting and twisting round at inhuman angles to get under the dash. Very fiddly, but sorted in the end.

I moved the tacho from it wobbly position in the ash tray to a more suitable position under the dash so i could put the ash tray back in and have use of the 12v socket. Whoever wired the tacho in made a right pigs ear of it, so some more advanced yoga was required to get under the dash again to sort the wiring out. While i was there, i removed the radio in preparation for something a bit more modern.

I couldn't take the car out without sorting out the annoying rattles. I dropped the down pipe on the passenger side and used the high tech method of a chisel to knock the heat return valve out. Then took ages to drift the pin out, so the valve would drop out. All sorted in the end, then there was another rattle!! Air filter heat valve this time, so it was removed in short order. Then it was just the sound of the V8 burbling... Until the worn fan belt started screecghing!! FFS.

Still plenty to keep me busy as we go into spring, but at least i can use the car now 8-)
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"