Blue's Barracuda

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Blue's Barracuda

Post by Blue »

'68 Barracuda's are probably my favourite Mopar of all time, I've had a couple many years ago and have wanted another for a good few years now. when I bought the Valiant I couldn't decide which I'd rather have, so looked for both, the Valiant came up first so I happily went for that. I decided a Barracuda would be my retirement project and left it at that.
Then about a year ago I thought I've got a little bit of money earning nothing in a savings account, I've got the space, what am I waiting for?
Finding one wasn't easy, there's virtually none in the UK and what there are are RHD often in a sad state. I don't mind work but I didn't want a major project either.
So the brief was it had to be a '68, it had to be a fastback, V8, no rust and as complete and damage free as possible. Other than that I wasn't too fussed. So the search was on and I can tell you there's virtually nothing out there, and what little there was was either wrecks, race cars or crazily overpriced resto's.
Wrecks were under $10k, then nothing and the nice stuff starts at $20k and goes to $60k and then there's the cars that someone dropped a Hemi in and your into the $100K mark. Most of these cars don't sell and endlessly do the rounds of the usual internet sites and sellers.
So that's the background, in early November I spotted one on eBay as a buy it now and apart from being a bit scuffier than I ideally wanted, it fitted the brief. Problem was it was suspiciously cheap, a zero feedback seller who I rapidly deduced was almost certainly Mexican, it didn't inspire confidence.
So I watched it and continued searching. Then after a few weeks he dropped the price, I still couldn't make my mind up and then a day before the auction ended I thought what the hell and hit the button. At this point I hadn't spoken to or even contacted the seller, not what I'd recommend at all.
As it happened, when I called him the Mexican guy was happy enough to deal with me and sent me copies of the documents and was no problem to deal with at all. So, fast forward to Christmas Eve when Don kindly picked it up from Southampton for me I got to see what I'd actually bought, even though it had come out of Nevada, serious rust was my big worry. It was pretty much as described, no better no worse, phew!
Attachments
IMG_2635.jpg
IMG_2635.jpg (135.42 KiB) Viewed 47037 times
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 47037 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 47037 times
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think you have done well to find a solid one.
One of my favourites as well.

Great little cars 8-)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

Apart from a recently dropped in 360 the car is stock. it has a few knocks and dings and some minor rust at the bottom of one rear quarter, I've yet to find any other rust. It has the worlds worst driveway paint job which I don't think is hiding anything. The interior is tired original, with fabric inserts added and some time I think, dash is complete and not hacked up though someone thought the best way to dress up the faded plastic chrome would be to paint it all black...
I'm now on with sorting a few jobs for the MOT, I was fooling myself that It wouldn't need much, when I said stock I mean almost certainly never touched, every bush, balljoint and track rod end was totally shot, every wheel cyl weeping, no great surprise or problem the whole front suspension is off and stripped all the parts are on their way. The upper A arm bushes were that bad the inner sleeves had seized to the cams, and had to be cut out, never had to do that before, horrible job!

I'm really happy with it though and loving getting on with, you can tell that can't you?
Attachments
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg (117.97 KiB) Viewed 47031 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Wilwoods on the Horizon???
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Charger

Post by Charger »

nice one!!

looks great from here 8-)

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
Blue

Post by Blue »

Pete wrote:Wilwoods on the Horizon???
Just going to fix the drums for now Pete, will probably fit stock style '73 up discs at some stage.

I think I was very lucky all in all with this one, I was beginning to resign myself to having to pay over the odds if I was ever going to get one.
I've been watching one for the last year that is absolutely beautiful, a bit too nice for me to actually want to use though, $33K it was. Watched it to see what it would come down too when it didn't sell, actually went up to 38k after a couple of months and then it went on eBay, I bid on it and there were several other bidders and it didn't even reach 20k, it didn't hid reserve. It's still for sale a year on and I think it's 28K now, such is the Barracuda market, I really don't know what the "true" value of these cars is.
muzzydave

Post by muzzydave »

nice one blue ,look forward to a look round this :thumbright:
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Nice One Blue,
I love the excitement of the chase,the organisation of purchase,and the anticipation of what will arrive.
I think if you ask a load of questions,look at any pictures, and read between the lines of the answers you receive ,you get a good deal.
Well done.
When are you due to retire ? :shock:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Not due to retire anytime soon, just moved things forward a bit!
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

Excellent news that your getting right into it!

Whats the submodes? is it an S or where those 340's?

jealous of that new old car feeling... :D
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Great thread Blue, took some guts to press 'buy' for sure. After reading your other post I diecided to take a look. I think I found just 3 cars for sale and all at top prices. Reckon your experience and patience paid off; after all, what's a few ball joints and bushes?
Blue

Post by Blue »

Dorian, in '68 there was just a Barracuda or a Formula S which would have had a 340 or 383. This one is just a regular Barracuda and a pretty low optioned one at that. Formula S prices are all over the place as well, I spotted 2 in the same colour, both looked mint one was 28K the other 65K don't think either of them sold.
Slowhand

Re: Blue's Barracuda

Post by Slowhand »

Blue wrote:........ I thought I've got a little bit of money earning nothing in a savings account, I've got the space, what am I waiting for?
My thought process exactly but I wasn't brave enough to 'buy it now' blind. (Things I HAVE seen and bought have turned out to be money pits)

Well done - look forward to seeing it.
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

I've got a bit of a soft spot for these too. Really pretty little cars in notch or fastback form.
I've really enjoyed reading your other thread. It's helped me understand how these cars go together no end! :thumbright:

Cheers,

Jon.
-Jon.
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

That first 15 minutes when it arrives off the boat and you have a look around it........no going back - you've bought it , a strawberry or a lemon? Glad its worked out for you .
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane