Cortina MK3 with V8 Dodge 318

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveBishop

Re: Cortina MK3 V8 MOPAR

Post by DaveBishop »

i have a A body four speed for sale
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

if you get a bellousing off a jeep that had an asin warner box
it fits a 318 and an asin warner box

therefore it fits a W58 5 speed out of a toyota supra get the 1 with the steal/rusty intermediate plate between box and tail housing

don't get a W57 or a w59

nice combo

r154 would be better but they cost lots
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

With the fit up of the engine last year, I have about about 110mm each side for the manifolds // sorry headers :)

The first issue I have seen is the steering rack against the sump, as the engine isn't far enough down yet to clear the bulkhead tunnel when the box is connected.

Am going to measure the crank webs to see how close to the bottom of the sump they are? thinking of putting a recess in the sump to accommodate the rack?

I still have the water pump to go on but I have about 230mm to play with at the front of the car

But really happy with the first fit :D
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Another issue to resolve is the water pump :rolleyes:

The water pump in-crotches into the slam panel area about 40mm.

One idea was to shorten the water-pump to give more room , but not doing that anymore .

I did look into using a magnum water pump, but looks like too much grief, camshafts etc

TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Well after a break from the car,

My first job, to connect the dodge bell-housing to the T5 box. This will then give me all the reference points of where everything will go in the car?

First thing to do was to line up the T5 to the bell-housing I used a laser for this.

I was hoping I could just drill through the bell-housing to pickup the T5 bolt pattern, but as you can see the top two bolts are too close to original bell-housing holes and the bottom two are too close to the edge of the bell-housing.

So I made an adapter plate,to pickup both bolt patterns.

As said the dodge bell housing center hole is larger than the T5 center hole.

This is mk2 ring ,, an temporary aluminum ring to take up the difference. :thumbup:

TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Ive also made two perspex plates with the center hole the same size as the new ring made, these are to find both bolt patterns independently for both the T5 and the dodge bell-housing.

Ive been busy with making the adapter plate, once I had both sets of holes from the box and the bell-housing, I then attached the plates together.

I remade the plastic pieces as I buggered up the first set :banghead:

Then made an aluminum plate with both sets of holes in from the dodge bell-housing and the T5 box, I will be using this as an template for the adapter

Am using 12mm steel for the adapter, so I cut out a 300x300mm using the plasma cutter, out of the old welding table top :thumbup:

TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Adapter plate almost done, but I couldn't resist a trail fit ;)

One of the things to sort is the input shaft , the T5 box input shaft is about 40mm shorter than the original gearbox input shaft.

My first thoughts are to make a phosphor bronze bush inserted into the rear of the crank, with maybe a brass bush pressed into the end .Or a roller bearing ??
In the good news, the clutch plate spine drive part of the input shaft is in the right place and the release bearing slide area.

TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

moparnutterz wrote: Sun Jun 23, 19 6:44 pm Hi Tib, do you still have the slot mags, if so do you want to sell them :thumbright:
Hello Mr
Yes i do, They may be for sale as they are a bit wide for the car, can I get back to you ;)
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

mygasser wrote: Sun Jun 23, 19 10:19 pm hi mate,
the gearbox in the pic looks like a truck box. be aware it may have a 'crawler' first gear (very low ratio) with a big jump to second. that and it's size wouldn't be good for a car. maybe adapt another box to your bellhousing etc, shouldn't be hard.
neil.
Thank you for the input and info, but you may now know i want to use the T5 gearbox :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

DaveBishop wrote: Mon Jun 24, 19 9:17 am i have a A body four speed for sale
Doe's it have a bell-housing?
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave999 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 19 1:46 pm if you get a bellousing off a jeep that had an asin warner box
it fits a 318 and an asin warner box

therefore it fits a W58 5 speed out of a toyota supra get the 1 with the steal/rusty intermediate plate between box and tail housing

don't get a W57 or a w59
nice combo
r154 would be better but they cost lots
Hiya Dave
As you can now see, i have a T5 and want to mate that to a mopar bell-housing :thumbright:
I think someone said the the Jeep with the T5 in it would fit, but alas no! from the research I have done
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

hope it wasn't me

i should pay more attention before launching into a post :)

i think you need to buy a roller bearing for a 318 or 360m magnum
and a roller bearing for a 2000 ford mustang

press the roller bearing out of each and put the mustang bearing in the mopar magnum bearing holder and whack it into the boss of the crankshaft flange where the converter spigot sits on an auto

that should work

if it's not deep enough a longer roller might be necessary, I can't see how far the end of the input shaft sits into that area in the end of the crank. I used an adapter that put the end of the spline level with the frication face of the flywheel...that might have resulted in not enough space for the plate or indeed a need to push the bearing back a bit in its boss.

Dave
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave999 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 19 3:05 pm hope it wasn't me
i should pay more attention before launching into a post :)
i think you need to buy a roller bearing for a 318 or 360m magnum
and a roller bearing for a 2000 ford mustang

press the roller bearing out of each and put the mustang bearing in the mopar magnum bearing holder and whack it into the boss of the crankshaft flange where the converter spigot sits on an auto

that should work
if it's not deep enough a longer roller might be necessary, I can't see how far the end of the input shaft sits into that area in the end of the crank. I used an adapter that put the end of the spline level with the frication face of the flywheel...that might have resulted in not enough space for the plate or indeed a need to push the bearing back a bit in its boss.
Dave
Thanks Dave but I don't understand, this is all new to me, could you elaborate please ?
Do you have any pictures ?
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

dodge dakota pilot bearing

ford mustang pilot bearing

both designed to sit in the flange of the crank rather than down the hole in the end of the crank where a spigot bush would go

provided your T5 came out of a mustang.....or ford this will work i assumed it did duje to ten spline input
the centre bearing in the ford part fits the end of you input shaft
but the outer casing fits nothing on you car

the dodge dakota bearing doesn't fit the end of the input shaft but the case it is pressed into fits into the centre of the flange on your crank shaft

however the outer size of the actual roller bearing cases is the same so you push them out of the holders and swap them
so you can make a hybrid with the dodge outside casing and the mustang roller.

this obviously only works for a mustang t5, i guess a similar process might be possible for a GM t5 but they do have a different sized tip on the input shaft....

if you find the end of the shaft doesn't reach the bearing when its all in position you would need a deeper or longer version version of the roller bearing.. that might help...so you take you mustang roller bearing to a bearings place and say give me a longer one of these....
press that into the dodge dakota outer with the extra few mm sticking out towards the input shaft and hopefully that extra few mm makes all the difference

Dave
moparnutterz

Post by moparnutterz »

yes, no problem, let me know when your ready, nice build by the way :thumbright: