Paint before vinyl or vinyl before paint .....

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Paint before vinyl or vinyl before paint .....

Post by Garp »

So, having sorted the "crunchy" underside of the vinyl that lay beneath the rear window, given it a skimcoat, wet flatted with 1500, and applied a healthy layer of primer, I'm now at that point of putting it all back together.
I sourced some correct chrome trim from Duncan Cannonball to replace the caravan substitute the previous owner used and now need to get the Dutchman panel painted and the vinyl relaid ...... Or vice versa !!!!!
Logic tells me that in order to get the best "line", I should paint first and then apply the trim - only thing here is that the chrome trim runs a lot closer to the base of the window than the previous one did - upside is that I have excess vinyl as opposed to too little. Downside means that I will need to drill new holes (old ones are now filled) and trim the excess vinyl, which is where I may end up scoring a newly clear coated paint job.
Alternative is stretch down and glue the vinyl, get the trim clips fitted, then mask off and bring the paint as close as I can get it so it is just under the trim once installed.
I have seen Challys with the vinyl roof freshly removed and it seems that the latter procedure was the factory way.
Any clues guys ???
:lol:
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Rebel

Re: Paint before vinyl or vinyl before paint .....

Post by Rebel »

I believe that the factory way was only paint what you can see, so the roof under the vinyl was bare metal / primer and glue. Probably ok for the climate over there, but over here it might be a better idea to paint the roof first for added protection from the elements
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
drewcrane

Re: Paint before vinyl or vinyl before paint .....

Post by drewcrane »

Paint first, the factory did not do a good job,(so paint the whole car,or roof in your case ,as if it were to never have a vynal top) then,and as far as "scoring" the paint, mark off the cutting edge,place a thin plastic protector under the vynal, cut it, and let the trim cover the edge,if I am getting what you are saying ?