68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

autofetish

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by autofetish »

:shock:

Amazing

Keep up the hard work your doing great this is going to one hell of car :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

:salute: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

autofetish wrote: Mon Apr 26, 21 8:46 am :shock:

Amazing

Keep up the hard work your doing great this is going to one hell of car :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

:salute: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study:
thanks and very nice of you to say, although it's not in the same league as your build. :salute:
ashley suggested the other day to bolt/screw the 4 speed hump in place rather than weld it which i hadn't thought of. it's a really good idea and i have plenty of nutserts and some stainless buttonhead allen bolts left over from my anglia so that's what i'll do. it'll make any future maintenance much easier for sure.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

another delivery from summit today, very fast as usual. the first pic is what i had and then what arrived today completing the set i need.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (23).JPG
IMG_0001 (23).JPG (114.97 KiB) Viewed 990 times
IMG_0004 (11).JPG
IMG_0004 (11).JPG (117.41 KiB) Viewed 990 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i got the gearbox bolted in place and the shifter fitted up. i had to add more curve to the reverse rod which meant sleeving it but it's all done now and with my short temporary lever it shifts nice and light through all the gears. :thumbsup:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (24).JPG
IMG_0001 (24).JPG (101.14 KiB) Viewed 977 times
IMG_0002 (18).JPG
IMG_0002 (18).JPG (130.59 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Excellent! Good Progress!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

cheers Pete, i'm hoping to get it on the road this summer and finally get some miles on it. :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

not much done today, i just got the 4 speed hump bolted down. i installed small nutserts all round the opening, a lick of black paint on the new panel and some stainless cap heads and washers to hold it down. another job done :thumbright:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (25).JPG
IMG_0001 (25).JPG (99.4 KiB) Viewed 947 times
IMG_0002 (19).JPG
IMG_0002 (19).JPG (95.62 KiB) Viewed 947 times
IMG_0003 (12).JPG
IMG_0003 (12).JPG (86.32 KiB) Viewed 947 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

hi all, other than (partially) covering the timing marks are there any problems using a pre '70 iron water pump on my 318 which currently has the later ally pump?
my recored big block radiator has the lower hose connector on the drivers side the same as the early pump so i don't need to alter the radiator and i'll have a new pump which is a bonus too.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it'll fit so tuesday i'll be ordering the early pump so i don't need to alter the big block radiator.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

oh, and yesterday i ordered a new set of (ngk) spark plugs as the motor will have better compression and chances of firing the mixture with some of those fitted :D
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

mygasser wrote: Sun May 02, 21 10:24 pm oh, and yesterday i ordered a new set of (ngk) spark plugs as the motor will have better compression and chances of firing the mixture with some of those fitted :D
Always nice to lavish the engine with a new set of plugs 👍👍

Rock Autos been doing good prices for Spark plugs of late, maybe they have for a while, but new to me.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i got them from ebay as 2 packs of 4, £8.99 a pack which isn't dear.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

not much to report today, i only had an hour in the garage. now i've decided to use an early water pump i thought i'd offer up the leaky one that came in the box of bits with my engine from blue and see what i'd need pulley wise. it appears the pulleys i also got and the alternator brackets are for the early engine too, result :thumbsup:. so i bolted on a flex fan i have on the shelf which needs a spacer for sure (i've got some somewhere :rolleyes:) to get it anywhere near the radiator for efficiency. who knows, i may even make a shroud one day. the front area looked a bit lop sided but once i sat the battery tray back in place and there's a lower rad' hose it'll be fine. once i get the new water pump i can sort it all for good.
neil.
ps i've got so much going on i forget to add stuff, doh!
i measured the manual brake pedal i bought to see if it's for manual or power brakes, i'd like to swap to manual if possible. another result as it's (as best as i can measure) roughly a 6.5:1 ratio so manual brakes. so when i swap in the pedals i'll remove the servo at the same time and bolt the master cylinder to the bulkhead along with whatever pushrod mod's it'll need. i'm slowly cleaning up the engine bay of power assistance stuff.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (26).JPG
IMG_0001 (26).JPG (112.2 KiB) Viewed 854 times
IMG_0002 (20).JPG
IMG_0002 (20).JPG (120.54 KiB) Viewed 854 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i got a job i've not been looking forward to out of the way today, my back isn't thanking me for it but it had to be done. i now have 3 pedals finally. i'm glad there are no seats in the car or it would've been worse so that's something. the power brake pedal links to the servo with a flat 'l' shaped bar that pushes another swinging bar on the servo bracket which is connected to the servo pushrod (ankle bone connected to the shin bone, shin bone connected to the knee bone kinda deal, lol). anyway i cut and slotted the flat bar to weld the adjustable pushrod that came out of the servo into so i have an adjustable pushrod from pedal to master that's now directly bolted to the firewall. i didn't have the right pushrod but you guessed that by now. next job the clutch pedal and linkage, i didn't have the right clip to retain the pedal in it's sleeve so i made a forked retainer plate that goes into the groove in the pivot rod to hold it in place in much the same way as the brake pedal is held. my clutch linkage rods have all had 'rose' joints fitted to 1) make them adjustable and 2) make the feel smoother. not by me, i just lucked out getting it that way. the pedal pushrod was too long so i had to shorten that but otherwise it went together nicely. i set each rod in the middle or their adjustment so i can alter them longer or shorter if needed later on. likewise the brake adjustable pushrod which was screwed right in i set in the middle of it's travel to allow for 'fine tuning' later. the cluth action is nice and light, even laying on thr floor pushing it with my hand.
with the servo gone it'll be much easier to fit the plugs when they arrive, oh and i ordered new plug wires today also.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0002 (21).JPG
IMG_0002 (21).JPG (113.89 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0003 (13).JPG
IMG_0003 (13).JPG (90.78 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0004 (12).JPG
IMG_0004 (12).JPG (96.17 KiB) Viewed 672 times
MattH

Post by MattH »

I found fan spacers were hard to find and quite expensive. I got one at USAutomotive but it was too short so longer one came from John Wolfe Racing.
Then I had to source the bolts which was another task in itself.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car