68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by mygasser »

New
i went out to measure for the rear brake flexis earlier and remove the fittings from the explorer calipers and valiant T piece so i could get braided hoses made up at rally design. the explorers have a short flexi one side from the caliper then a hard line to the T the other side which doubles as the end of the flexi that side too. the chassis to axle flexi to that T is crimped to the T so as that was cut my plan was to replace both sides from the calipers to the valiant T with 2 longer braided flexis.
first though as i'm tight i thought i'd look to see if there was a way to blank off where the cut flexi attached to the explorer T. so after filing the brass block flat i drilled and tapped it for an m6 bolt, then made a copper washer from an offcut of my header gasket 2mm copper sheet.
so now i have 2 flexis i can use and i only need to attach them, the valiant T and a couple of shorter hard lines and the brakes can be bled. all with what i have here already and no money spent. :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today so far i've unbolted the rear axle for a few jobs to be finished. the perches need welding fully (i tacked them today), the front spring hangers needed drilling for 5/8" spring eye bolts to suit the ss springs and the shackle bushes are being replaced with poly bushes from prothane. once that's all done and refitted i can start running/making brake pipes and welding on tabs/bolts to secure them. pics later when i'm done for the day.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i had a good afternoon and it now has brakes and the clutch works too. reassembly went as expected and the brakes bled easily giving a nice firm pedal. i trimmed all the wheelnut shanks and wheel studs now the wheel fitment is finalised, i'd just doubled up on washers for mock up so that needed doing. making the brake pipes was easy as always, the right tools make all the difference giving neat perfect flares every time.
seat mountings are next and then it's driveable, looks like even with diy jobs to do i'll have it mobile by the weekend as planned. :thumbright:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0003 (21).JPG
IMG_0003 (21).JPG (114.21 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
IMG_0001 (38).JPG
IMG_0001 (38).JPG (132.83 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
IMG_0002 (33).JPG
IMG_0002 (33).JPG (94.55 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
IMG_0004 (19).JPG
IMG_0004 (19).JPG (116.23 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
IMG_0005 (15).JPG
IMG_0005 (15).JPG (116.37 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
IMG_0006 (11).JPG
IMG_0006 (11).JPG (94.57 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yesterday and today i've been altering seats to tilt forward and making my own hurst shifter to inland shift lever adapter. i've decided to use the mercedes seats instead of the scorpio ones as they're just more 'recaro' than 'chesterfield sofa' if you get my drift. also the runners are nice and flat side to side unlike the scorpio ones which had very 'uneven' brackets. getting them to tilt was similar to the scorpio ones though, there are 4 bolts holding the backrest rigid so simply remove the rear 2 and loosen the front 2 and they tilt. the front 2 are loctited in their new position so they don't loosen and the seat base is a metal tray so the backrest bracket just sits in the tray. to suit the valiant floor i needed to make 1 2" tall spacer for the inner front bolt and drill 3 holes (the outer front bench seat hole is reused). i'll add (weld in) some 2mm plate under the inner holes as there's no strengthening there where it was a bench seat car. i've altered the second seat ready to fit hopefully tomorrow along with the new carpet. oh, i guess i should see what needs 'adapting' to fit the mercedes rear seat too.
next once the drivers seat was bolted down i made an adapter to mount my inland shift lever/stick to the hurst shifter. pretty easy, just a plate to bolt to the shifter with the top cut at the correct angle for a second plate to weld to it which is threaded to suit the inland lever bolt pattern. i removed the reverse lockout cable, button etc and grount the 'triggers' smooth before painting the lever with some silver and clear lacquer as the chrome was fubarred.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (39).JPG
IMG_0001 (39).JPG (116.68 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
IMG_0002 (34).JPG
IMG_0002 (34).JPG (104.21 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
IMG_0003 (22).JPG
IMG_0003 (22).JPG (94.18 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
IMG_0005 (16).JPG
IMG_0005 (16).JPG (106.86 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
IMG_0006 (12).JPG
IMG_0006 (12).JPG (92.53 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

ok, back seat then and not too bad a job as it turned out. i had to make a pair of risers to support the front of the base up to tunnel height. i welded a nut behind where the seat bracket hung down each end and a flat sheet hook that the rear hooked into to stop it sliding down and forward. the rear sections (it was a 60/40 folding seat) have a thick flat plastic backing (about 1/4" thick) as the seat belt is fixed inside so strength is important. i'll be using lap belts in the back so don't need them. anyway, i'll need ashley to help mounting them as the plan is to hold them against the seat/parcel shelf frame then drill through the frame and use fat self tapping screws through into the plastic backing. the 2 side pieces that cover the inner wheel arches will need the foam sanding back to suit the shape and sit back neatly, i can't do them until the backs are secured though. the rear seat backs look high in the window but are in fact only about 3/4" above the parcel shelf so pretty much as the stock seat was.
last job today was the only bit of rust through i've found on the car, 2 tiny holes on the passengers floor. or at least that what it looked like until i started tapping at it with a pointy hammer to remove any flaky rust in the area. i ended up with a section about 4"x6" with a couple of ribs in (1 short and 1 full length). i'll clean up any whiskers underneath next time it's in the air and get some sealer and paint on it.
oh, i nearly forgot i added the lsd additive and gear oil to the rear axle before i forgot too.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (40).JPG
IMG_0001 (40).JPG (103.06 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
IMG_0002 (35).JPG
IMG_0002 (35).JPG (77.27 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
IMG_0003 (23).JPG
IMG_0003 (23).JPG (98.66 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
IMG_0004 (21).JPG
IMG_0004 (21).JPG (97.96 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
IMG_0005 (17).JPG
IMG_0005 (17).JPG (112.73 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
IMG_0006 (13).JPG
IMG_0006 (13).JPG (88.36 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Last edited by mygasser on Fri Jul 16, 21 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Fair play to you, you always seem to be working on your project & coming up with neat ideas to resolve your project :thumbright: :thumbright:
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i work with what i have and the limited budget available and make whatever needs to be made. i've sold some other stuff so i can get the valiant on the road this year even though it won't be painted but i miss having a toy i can jump in whenever i want to so it has to be done.
cheers, neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i'm taking my grandson the the dentist to have his brace altered in the morning so i've roped my daughter in to help secure the seat backs in place when we get back :thumbright:
i just need to sand the foam to get the side cushion/bolster bits to sit right and it's done.
then if she's not in a rush i've got a large sheet/roll of 3/8" foam rubber which we'll cut into panels to use as carpet underlay for that luxury feel :D
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today my daughter terri helped me with the rear seat fitment. we must've had the backs in and out 4 times. getting them secured was the easy bit, the side bolsters took the time. after sanding the foam to conform to the shape of the valiant inner arches we ended up with some angle brackets made to support the upper steel loops inside and bent the lower ones to attach to existing tabs sticking out of the bottom of the inner arch. while it was out i sprayed the green parcel shelf board black to match the seats. tomorrow i'll remove the driver's seat to mark and drill the passenger's floor then start laying underlay and carpet. no pics as the seat looks as it did at mockup.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

first job today was remove the driver's seat and measure the new hole positions on the floor so i could drill the passenger's side. with that done i cut some foam panels for the floors as underlay and taped these in place with ally tape. i layed the carpet out in the sun while i cut, drilled, welded and painted black the reinforcing plates under the floor where the 'new' bolt holes are now (i don't want the floors splitting later). then i layed the carpets in the car and removed the sill/rocker trims and kick panels. there's enough 'spare' at the back to cover the new seat risers i welded in for the mercedes seats which was a nice bonus. it's sat there now and i have started trimming on the passenger's side but it was really hot in the garage and my back had enough so i called it a day. i did get one of the kick panels painted black, i'll do the other tomorrow and hopefully i can get it all done and fit both front seats back in for the last time.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (41).JPG
IMG_0001 (41).JPG (117.54 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
IMG_0002 (36).JPG
IMG_0002 (36).JPG (97.99 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
IMG_0003 (24).JPG
IMG_0003 (24).JPG (132.55 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
IMG_0004 (22).JPG
IMG_0004 (22).JPG (117.73 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Last edited by mygasser on Tue Jul 20, 21 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

It's all coming along quickly :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it would've been quicker if i hadn't been collecting other projects along the way too #-o but some major parts of both have now been sold which has meant i can buy the bits i need to get the valiant on the road...... finally [-o<
it will be 'on the road' by this weekend, not finished but useable for now :thumbright:
neil.
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

mygasser wrote: Tue Jul 20, 21 6:19 pm it will be 'on the road' by this weekend, not finished but useable for now :thumbright:
neil.
:) :thumbright: :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

until the dash cap arrives the interior is done, well it's useable :D
i found a gearstick gaitor that'll work, i just need to make a base 'ring' bit with a raised lip that the elasticated bottom can loop over. i even fitted the new brake and clutch pedal rubbers and cleaned all of the windows. boy, clean glass makes a lot of difference that's for sure. i even got dawn under the car on my lift holding a spanner while i was up in the car bolting the seats down. i think it's the first time she's ever actually worked on one of my cars :shock: . i may take it out this evening once it cools down a bit, if not a mate's coming round in the morning to look at some paintwork on the cortina that's arriving tonight so we'll go out then while it's cooler.
FINALLY..... :thumbright:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (101.47 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG (109.89 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Well done, enjoy the cruise :thumbright:
73 Charger 318