68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dom66

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by Dom66 »

Sounds like a good opportunity for pics & vids :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

well rain stopped play, just for a change. no point sitting in the car in the rain in a carpark really :(
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i had a bit of a wobble this week and almost dealt the valiant for a lump of cash and a modded anglia estate. i came to my senses though :D
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

this is currently for sale due to the opportunity to get a 'bucket list' car. if that car sells before mine i'll happily keep it.
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Just out of curiosity , "what the bucket list car" ?? ive had long term want, dates back to the mid 70's !
alas its not a Mopar, 70' 400 Ram Air 111 M22 Pontiac Trans Am, i thought i may just have a chance given the Challenger is about as done as old cars ever are, lol however life has got in thew way for the umpteen time, so now i fear it will always be a dream.

Good luck with the sale and your Bucket car !
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it's a 50 mercury which of course will become a leadsled/custom. :thumbright:
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Lordy lordy, brave man! they are huge!!!!!! good luck and fingers crossed!

Actually got a run out in the RT this morning, first time its been for 3 weeks!
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i didn't think they were that big so i checked and they're within an inch, (length, width and wheelbase) of a 68 charger so not ejormous :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i started trimming the cracked dash pad today, offering up the new cap as i went. it's a pretty good fit now needing only light pressure from one finger in the centre to hold it in place. i'll clean/degrease the pad and inside the cap next and my plan is apply adhesive to the pad and cap, Bananarama! into place adding tape as required and lay some paperback w/shop manuals all along the top over a length of thick card. that should do it.
fingers crossed it goes to plan, there'll be pics either way ;)
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it's a good job i'm decisive #-o , dawn and me have had a chat and i'm not getting the mercury now so the valiant is staying....... unless someone want to give me proper money for it, not just enough to buy the other car that is. then there's plenty of choice out there for a replacement.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yesterday and today i've been investigating why the parking brake is low on effort. it's the explorer drum inside a disc type with the mopar cables hooked up to it. i can only surmise the explorer has a lot more leverage inside to pull the cables. i may end up fitting a conventional lever instead of the umbrella type it came with.
once i got fed up with that for today i took the pass' side front wheel off as the dent on the wing was bugging me. as i'm not painting it yet/ever? i needed to make it better. it's not like i haven't got a perfect panel to replace it with, just that the paint/patina wouldn't match with a white wing and door. yes i also popped the most out of the dent in the pass' side door too when i fitted the black door panels and armrests the other day. lastly as it actually fits now i installed the nos headlight bezel i've had for about 3 years, then adjusted the bonnet too.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (3).JPG
IMG_0001 (3).JPG (96.86 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0002 (2).JPG (68.28 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
IMG_0003 (2).JPG
IMG_0003 (2).JPG (71.33 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the penny dropped and i don't know why i didn't think of it before, i'll just fit a hydraulic parking brake. easy to plumb inline with the rear brakes and more effort than a parking brake will ever need. i'll tuck the lever/handle, bracket, cylinder etc under the driver's seat so just the end of the lever sticks out to operate it. :thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Fitted a hydraulic handbrake on my Dart, not MOT legal but they work well.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

oh, i ordered some h/d 2" velcro to day, a mate suggested it for the dash cap/skin. it's worth a try, if it doesn't work i'll use adhesive, if the adhesive didn't work it'd be a mess to clean off then use velcro anyway so clean way first.
neil.
ps, agreed about the hyd' h/brake and mot. they work good though :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the velcro arrived today. so i first cleaned inside the new cap/skin and the old cracked dash with brake cleaner, then stuck the 2" velcro along the top and bottom edges and the 3/4" along the leading edge. that last bit was a mistake as the extra thickness hasn't allowed it to go on as far so there's a 3/16" edge of the old dash showing on the front when you look through the screen. it looks fine inside but i will take it off and remove that narrow strip as i'm confident it'll go on just enough to fully cover the old part as it did when first offered up. the good thing is i 'can' take it back off as it's held with velcro :thumbright:
all in all i'm very happy with it as it (for now) finishes the interior to a respectable standard for a driver.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (6).JPG
IMG_0001 (6).JPG (74.87 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
IMG_0002 (4).JPG
IMG_0002 (4).JPG (101.37 KiB) Viewed 1190 times