68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by mygasser »

it seems to be early week as my oil filter also came 2 days before it was due so it'd be rude not to fill it with oil and spin it onto the engine surely? :D
and whilst out there i thought why not make up the plug wires too? i copied the layout from a member of the A bodies forum as it looked very neat an di tend to be anal about neat plug wires :roll: . 2 hours later i'm happy with the look. i found a set of moroso heat shrink wire numbers (2 of each, for both ends) so used them too along with a set of heat shield boots at the plug end of each.
not long before the fire up now :thumbright:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (34).JPG
IMG_0001 (34).JPG (131.33 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
IMG_0002 (29).JPG
IMG_0002 (29).JPG (122.7 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

forgot to say, i pulled a valve cover to confirm where number 1 was on the dizzy cap and the adjustable rockers that were thought to be 273 items have locknuts and screws. i thought the 273's were the 'friction' type where they're tight on the threads so have no locknuts? the heads are 3418915H 360 castings.
neil.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

My 273 rockers haven't got locknuts, it is a very early motor though, can't remember the date but its a 64 or 65 block.
Was good to see your Valiant in the flesh or should that be metal :lol: today, looking forward to seeing the finished result :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i guess it's possible someone chased the threads in the arms so they could use screws and locknuts, the arms look stock type so who knows. :-k
nice to meet you too dave and although my car will be on the road soon as for finished?????
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

so after nearly an hour i've found out how not to load a video :scratch:
on the plus side the car runs :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
i filled the float bowls and it fired immediately, sounds nice and crisp too but you can't hear it as i'm an idiot with gadgets :lol:
i'll try to get some help and load a video asap.
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

FANTASTIC!

Major Milestone!

Well done for all your hard work!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

thanks Pete,
i haven't fitted the exhaust yet or got any interior in there but it's light at the end of the tunnel hearing it run for sure :thumbright:
i got a video (well dawn did) with my camera, loaded it to my pc but when i try to upload it here it's nowhere to be found. i can find it there when not trying to upload it so i'm baffled :scratch:
but happy :D
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :salute:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

That's great :) looking forward to the vid. Interiors are overrated, all I have in mine at the moment are the two front seats.. :D
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Dom66 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 21 8:14 pm That's great :) looking forward to the vid. Interiors are overrated, all I have in mine at the moment are the two front seats.. :D
yeah my front seats are currently on the garage floor next to the car #-o
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

well that's the exhaust fitted, just got to trim the tailpipes to length as they're poking out too far as they are. i had to shorten the over axle pipes where they go into the mufflers but that was expected as valiant's are shorter wheelbase than other A bodies. i'll probably also tack weld all the joints after i've driven the car and it's settled to confirm there's nowhere touching. it's much quieter now :thumbright:
i've also fitted the screen washer bag/motor to the pass' side inner wing at the front and plumbed it. i couldn't :roll: fit the red push button that came with it so it's now painted black and ready to fit.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i forgot to mention something the other day when i made the plug wires and set the timing, my 318 must have an aftermarket balancer on it. as i'd said previously, i swapped on an early iron water pump with the inlet to the driver's side which partially obscures the (later) timing marks on that side. i also had (and fitted) the early timing tab as my damper has two slots which show tdc for either set of timing marks. result :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i dug out the super stock scoop today and sat it on the air filters to get some idea of how much taller it'd need to be. that'll be about 2 1/2" then......mmmmmm.
i may cut it up a lot and narrow it at the same time, it won't ever look like what it started as so may as well see what i can make work. either that or i make/buy something else entirely. i think first job is cut the bonnet, get that fitted and go from there :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

ok, so i sussed the you tube thing and here's a short video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtqntdzZEBc
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Cool =D> Looking at the engine, I'd cut the bonnet hole, neaten up the edges and call it job done .....