Morgans 68 Charger. Engine #3...

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Re: Morgans 68 Charger. Engine #3...

Post by morgan »

Blimey. OK, will do... will keep the fettling updates coming.
The thing with this is that there are various skillsets in this club. Me, I am a keen amateur with various bits over the years but an engine swap is a moderate project for me. And when things go 'wrong' (and by that I mean do strange stuff, like adjusting the steering box) I suddenly find myself googling and reading lots - whereas some of you would just take it to bits without a second thought I have to be more cautious than that. (I mean if you were Dave999 you would redesign the crank angle rotational vortex pump drive seal to give more rastor vector to the xenon flange, and if you were Will you'd likely plasma-weld some kind of rocket to it...) my point is, compared to these people I am wayyy less knowledgeable and therefore my posts are of a 'less taxing' nature. :)
sublimemike wrote: Thu Jul 11, 19 11:20 pm No keep it going Morgan. I'm guessing Bob's motor has higher compression than what you were running? If it has you may need to tweak the cooling a bit. Up side is ... push the gas the peddle and you know its worth it.
- Yes. Different animal entirely. Cooling should cope - already running a champion ally rad rated to 600hp so should be fine. Trans cooling needs sorting though.
autofetish wrote: Sat Jul 13, 19 4:56 pm Keep them coming I'm currently sitting in a Brazilian airport on a 18hr stop over. I'm Surrounded by the best bums and boobs the world has to offer and I'm more interested in your leaky box
Well I dont want Wills Brazilian on my conscience. So if it saves the good ladies of Brazil then I'll try and keep him distracted with an update.

So - Pic1 shows the current state of play.
In a nutshell, it runs and drives. Sorting the niggles list but there are one or two other bits that need more thought. Most of all she needs some MILES. I have to do carfest north in a couple of weeks and I dont want it going 'phut' on track !

'Areas for attention' that I will sort over the coming days. I dont want to do ANYTHING that causes more big hassle !
- Steering box almost there. Very light now and *minor* pull but SO close. Fiddling...
- Throttle cable and lokar. I am running a fairly flimsy bracket and the throttle cable is from the orig 318 - too short for this high manifold.
- Adjust lokar once throttle sorted.
- Heater matrix - I just looped the coolant. Its fine, I dont care, but a neat flow return ubend on the water pump or something.
- Paint on the inner wing - brake fluid leaks show the orig car gold ! oops...
- Nicer rad hoses.
- Trim the plug leads properly. Also replace the remaining straights with 90deg plug boots. Why do BB mopars have straight leads ? They rub and pull off. Unless you want them off, in which case they are welded to the plug, obvs.
- Fuel lines - I run them out the front (deliberately, I made the fittings) due to rear facing pipes being miles from fuel pump. I actually think I want to run it backward now and onto the wing back to the fuel pump.
- Fuel tank and bigger fuel pipe. She is still running 5/16 fuel pipe. Should be 3/8 min maybe even 1/2. So this needs doing, but I need to change the sender with it. So I may as well change the tank (go new one from Will to go in) etc etc. Not pre carfest.
- Trans cooler - I have a separate cooler and I HATE my trans pipes - I need to get some flexis made up with appropriate fittings. I may do this before carfest.
- Headers need even more clouting with the persuader. I dont THINK they are touching torsion bars now, but then I have not given this motor the beans yet and I have not fitted a strap.
- Earthing. Needs to be a bit manlier really - need to find a bolt into the block rather than through the rocker bolt. It runs, but not ideal.

Fettling. Hopefully.
More extensive road trials this week... pics will follow as I tick this stuff off and it all looks a bit better/neater.
I've learned SO much in the last couple of weeks :)
Attachments
engine.jpg
engine.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

hahaha i won't be designing anything

i'll just rifle through the seconds bin at halfords and Bananarama! on with a hammer

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Post by morgan »

Didnt like the readings new sender and old guage were giving so decided to retro fit electronic.
Obviously i will hide it soon, but for now...
seems to hold ok. 185 ish cruise. 205 traffic. I need to do the ‘standing for 30 mins’ test...

Next is proper mount for lokar and throttle.
Attachments
027C3CB0-3E88-4228-B138-0B588CC2FEFC.jpeg
027C3CB0-3E88-4228-B138-0B588CC2FEFC.jpeg (181.22 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

morgan

Re: status - Help ! - Morgans 68 Charger. Engine #3...

Post by morgan »

OK - status update. 80 mile round trip - good as gold.
When moving sits rock steady at 184.
Traffic goes up to 195-200 within a couple of mins, but straight back down once moving.

Here's the 'help' bit...
I know she is 'under fanned' (needs bigger and decent shroud) but I didnt know how long I'd got; or what temp is 'danger'.
So I did an 'idle' test to see how she went.

So within 6 mins she is at 220. TOOO hot. I am just about to get her moving to drive some cool when smoke starts to billow out. Uh-oh.
Pop bonnet - but - get this - it AINT the car - its the power steering pump. Fluid is boiling out from under the cap and this is the smoke.
So I still dont know what temp car will boil - but I do know there is a new problem I have not seen before...

So chaps - I throw it out there - boiling power steering pump ?

Edit - adjustment still possibility...( https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ub ... iling.html)

Blue

Post by Blue »

I can't help with the steering pump issue but a couple of thoughts about cooling. I don't know what you are using for a fan but the Mancini viscous fan package has never failed to keep anything I've ever used it on cool. Also have you played with the initial/ total timing? It will be different to your previous engine and it makes quite a difference to how hot the engine runs.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
morgan

Post by morgan »

Will check out mancini.
Timing was 12-14 with 34 all in. No vacuum.
Overruns like mad on shutdown though.

Pete

Post by Pete »

morgan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 3:58 pm
Pop bonnet - but - get this - it AINT the car - its the power steering pump. Fluid is boiling out from under the cap and this is the smoke.
So I still dont know what temp car will boil - but I do know there is a new problem I have not seen before...

So chaps - I throw it out there - boiling power steering pump ?

Edit - adjustment still possibility...( https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ub ... iling.html)
The Hemi cars came with PAS coolers on them, though I have never had a need...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i have the fan i got for the 383 i put in my valiant. it's a new jag viscous multi blade (steel) fan with a machined ally hub that bolts to a b/rb water pump. i think i gave £30 for it if you're interested? according to the guys on the 'for a bodies only' forum it's a popular swap in the states where it gets much hotter than here.
neil.
Blue

Post by Blue »

morgan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 9:05 pm Will check out mancini.
Total sounds fine though I think you'll need a lot more initial than that. If it runs on you might well have the primary throttle blades open too far, time to crank up the initial...
morgan

Post by morgan »

mygasser wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 9:37 pm i have the fan i got for the 383 i put in my valiant. it's a new jag viscous multi blade (steel) fan with a machined ally hub that bolts to a b/rb water pump. i think i gave £30 for it if you're interested? according to the guys on the 'for a bodies only' forum it's a popular swap in the states where it gets much hotter than here.
neil.
Ooh. Whats the diameter please ? Can you pm me a pic ? Ta.

morgan

Post by morgan »

Blue wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 9:42 pm
morgan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 9:05 pm Will check out mancini.
Total sounds fine though I think you'll need a lot more initial than that. If it runs on you might well have the primary throttle blades open too far, time to crank up the initial...
I knocked it back as it was kicking back on the start. Will roll advance on and see what happens. Dizzy has blocks to limit total. Thanks.

Ps - opened it up today. Holy cow - pulls hard. That bit i like :-)

mygasser

Post by mygasser »

morgan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 11:21 pm
mygasser wrote: Tue Jul 16, 19 9:37 pm i have the fan i got for the 383 i put in my valiant. it's a new jag viscous multi blade (steel) fan with a machined ally hub that bolts to a b/rb water pump. i think i gave £30 for it if you're interested? according to the guys on the 'for a bodies only' forum it's a popular swap in the states where it gets much hotter than here.
neil.
Ooh. Whats the diameter please ? Can you pm me a pic ? Ta.
I'll get pics and put a tape across it after work mate. :thumbright:
Neil.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

if its kicking back when starting now it will only get worse with more initial
you can smash teeth on the reduction gearing in the starter if not careful.

might just be too rich at idle that can make the exhaust headers very hot which obviously heats everything up under the bonnet
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Post by morgan »

Need to get it measured I think. I'll make it worse if I start tweaking carb screws.
Starting to panic - I have a week to sort the gremlins. 99% there but SILLY things.

So - I need 18" fan - poxy little thing not man enough. Shroud too.
Throttle cable fixed - stupid aftermarkets just compress themselves.
Sort timing.
Get someone to set carb.

:(

On it...

Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes, you can only crank up the initial until it kicks back then go back a couple of degrees until it stops.