Matt's 1970 'Trans-Am' Cuda

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt

Re: Matt's 1970 'Trans-Am' Cuda

Post by Matt »

I'm off to China on holiday for two weeks on the 15th, so the plan is to get the shell in for painting the underside, engine compartment, and interior whilst I'm away. Lots to do before then.

Also, I'm still waiting for the oil pickup from Milodon. It's been on back-order for *five months* now. I called Milodon yesterday and they expect supplies to be available from the start of April.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it may be worth getting a pickup made, i've read on forabodiesonly forum about people waiting a year or more for them from milodon. they keep getting 'in 3 months', 'in 3 months' again and again from them.
neil.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

What a fantastic build, the rate of work is really fast & with no compromise to quality.

Many thanks for sharing
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Fabulous Matt, and amazing pace too...this is going to be a stunning car!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

is that a tremec? how did you go getting it to fit round the floor hump cross member gusset. is it a one with a lump machined off from one of the original shifter gate boxes?

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hey Dave,

Yes it's a Tremec TKO 5-speed. I purchased the complete kit from Silver Sport Transmissions, the people who bought out Keisler. I think part of the case has been machined.

Can't comment reliably on the fit until I've got the exhaust H-pipe in my hands. Initial impressions are that the transmission is going to clear the crossmember with no issues, but that I'm going to have to remake and raise the tunnel on the passenger side. The trans *would* install without raising the tunnel, but it looks like the engine/box would sit at the wrong angle with the header collectors too low.

SST do suggest that the passenger tunnel will have to be remade on some installs.
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

Hi Matt I have a pick up if you want to copy it my engine wont be going in for a while
Cheers Dave
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

well if that big box fits more or less in a 727 sized tunnel i should be ok with a miniature T5

i just need a rear mount cross member now... SST don't seem to sell one separate so i'm toying with a US car tool one...

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Steve

Post by Steve »

What a fantastic thread. The photos are very clear and Ive just read through everything with a coffee. Its like a book that you cant put down! Very impressive work indeed.

Would you be interested in showing the finished car at the NEC in November Matt? (and yes, we are making plans again already!!)

Keep the info coming please, this really is a great thread! :thumbright: :thumbright:

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi Dave Bishop,
Thanks so much for the offer of loaning the oil pickup - I'm hoping mine will actually arrive at the start of April, but if it doesn't I'll be in touch

Dave999 let me know if you want me to draw a plan of the gearbox crossmember for you ? It bolts to the front of the car crossmember rather than wrapping around it
IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2149.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Matt

Post by Matt »

Steve I'd definitely be interested in showing the car at the NEC - keep me posted ?

I'll have to get it finished first, but I'm quietly confident for mid-May ......

Cheers

Matt
Matt

Post by Matt »

The engine and box are about to come out again so that the car can go back on the rotisserie. Now the roll cage is installed I'm confident I can do more metal replacement on the rotisserie with no risk of distorting the shell.

So while the box is still in I'm taking a final look at the transmission tunnel.

These pics show where the upper rear gearbox case has been modified by SST to clear the torsion bar crossmember, and a plated steel cover fitted over the ground-off area. In the pics the gearbox is dropped about 3" lower than final position .
IMG_2134.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2135.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

Four spacers (two 1/4" and one 1/2") are provided to raise the gearbox on the mount 'if necessary'. SST claim that factory tolerances vary this much, but I'm not so sure. Looking at the position and angle of the tti header collectors, my best guess at the moment is that I'll need them all. I can just about squeeze them in by jacking the box up till it touches the torsion bar crossmember. Once the weight is on the mount it sinks enough to provide adequate clearance.
IMG_2136.jpg
IMG_2136.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
Similarly SST provide a paper template so that you can cut a hole (in your tunnel AND new 4-speed hump.....) , to accommodate the gearbox in this raised position. No real problem for this build, but any claims of 'no cutting factory sheetmetal' do need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
IMG_2144.jpg
IMG_2144.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

Then I made some sheetmetal to raise the tunnel in this area. It'l be nicely seamwelded before finishing.

IMG_2155.jpg
IMG_2155.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Epic Build :rr:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
MattH

Post by MattH »

Steve wrote: Fri Mar 08, 19 7:36 pm What a fantastic thread. The photos are very clear and Ive just read through everything with a coffee. Its like a book that you cant put down! Very impressive work indeed.

Would you be interested in showing the finished car at the NEC in November Matt? (and yes, we are making plans again already!!)

Keep the info coming please, this really is a great thread! :thumbright: :thumbright:

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Do you want the matched pair? albeit one is a 318 lookalike only.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Derek

Post by Derek »

[/quote]

Do you want the matched pair? albeit one is a 318 lookalike only.
[/quote]

Now that sounds like a good idea Matt H. :thumbright:
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.