Rob & Stu's 69 Sport Satellite

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

RobTwin

Rob & Stu's 69 Sport Satellite

Post by RobTwin »

Just dragged myself into the 20th century and got me scanner up & running so thought it about time to post some old pics of our Satellite.
Plenty more to come over the coming evenings, I'll try not to bore ya too much :?

Saw the car in an ad in the Auto Trader, advertised at £1700. Went to see it on the Thursday (I think), agreed to buy it for £1500, collected it on the Friday, drove back from near Guildford in the Fri evening rush hour back oop north to North London.
Next day off to Garys Picnic at Santa Pod (pre North Weald days) for the weekend.

Following are some pics from that 1st weekend with the car...
Attachments
cant remember what times we got out of the 318, but soon got tempted by the lure of a big bloke....
cant remember what times we got out of the 318, but soon got tempted by the lure of a big bloke....
Garys Picnic 1985-4.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 26070 times
Garys Picnic 1985-3.jpg
Garys Picnic 1985-3.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 26070 times
how to do dual points on a small block in a B body...
how to do dual points on a small block in a B body...
Garys Picnic 1985-1.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 26070 times
June 1985-2.jpg
June 1985-2.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 26070 times
June 1985-1.jpg
June 1985-1.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 26070 times
Last edited by RobTwin on Thu Apr 10, 08 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

At the time, our mate Paul Mander was having his 360 in his Aus CH Charger built up for racing in Sportsman class by Clive Bond of Ultimate Race Cars. His other customers were Dave Mingay (Hellraiser) and Graham Barrs (Neon Star), so were keen to 'let' him build up a big block for us.
After a couple of months scouring the Expand & Fart and keeping ears to the grapevine (pre internet, unfortunately), we had a good block & heads to take down to Cirencester for Clive to make a start on.
Cant remember exactly how long it took but a few months later the Satellite had the engine it was made for (ie big not small).
Attachments
engine bay sporting a fresh coat of Woolworths Cover Plus matt black - Clives recommendation for taking heat out of the engine (rather than reflecting it back). Easy to apply but not very concourse!
engine bay sporting a fresh coat of Woolworths Cover Plus matt black - Clives recommendation for taking heat out of the engine (rather than reflecting it back). Easy to apply but not very concourse!
feb 1987 big block in.jpg (80.04 KiB) Viewed 26069 times
jan 1987 sorry bout the colour-2.jpg
jan 1987 sorry bout the colour-2.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 26069 times
in Clive's operating theatre, sorry, engine building room. Got told off for wearing muddy shoes in there. And it was mud from his yard!
in Clive's operating theatre, sorry, engine building room. Got told off for wearing muddy shoes in there. And it was mud from his yard!
jan 1987 sorry bout the colour.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 26069 times
318/904 on its way out
318/904 on its way out
late 1986 small block out.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 26069 times
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Wow you still have the same car after 20 years ? :o

That big block looks awesome in there hopefully mine will look that good by March/April next year with a bit of luck and some help :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That looks fantastic mate - I really like that and the engine looks good enough to eat.

What was the impression you got of the 440 like after the 318cui starter motor was junked? Was it a big shock?

I like that car. Got any more recent pictures?
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Yeah, 20th anniversary this summer! Tho not as long as some one here, eh Allkiller? 27 and counting...

As 318's go, it was a good un, had been worked on, but was always fighting a losing battle in a stock B bod.
Despite a problem with no 5 cyl's spark plug boot being constantly burned thru cos of the bad design of the cheapo Blackjack headers, the 440 (446 with 0.30" rebore!) was just what the doctor ordered.
Car should really have run 12's with a bit of traction but best we managed was 13.6 at 105 on the BFG's. Trap speed certainly suggested there were quicker times to be had. And that was still with the 3.23's, as far as i recall.
So we ordered up a pair of slicks from Summit and changed the rear for 3.91's. Then the slicks arrived the wrong size; too tall if memory serves. Yeah, I know, shouldve got them from a UK supplier then we wouldve changed them without any hesitation. Didnt fancy the hassle of sending them back to the US so stuck it out, and gave em a go.
Cant remember how may runs we got in, but before you could say 'one extreme to the other' the extra traction off the line caused the drivers side engine mount to tear off, and the pass side header clouted the inner wing, at least an inch away under normal circumstances.
And, because of the too-tall slicks, dont think we ever did beat the 13.6.

Got any the more recent pics? What do you think.... :wink:
Attachments
one more with our new centrelines on before we get more up to date
one more with our new centrelines on before we get more up to date
Sat-2a.jpg (76.77 KiB) Viewed 26043 times
come to think of it, those slicks do look rather tall
come to think of it, those slicks do look rather tall
29-5-89 Doorslammer Nats with slicks.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 26043 times
Like most, at some time in their life, the car had to sit out on the road or at best in the front garden, until we found a garage to rent that was big enough. And when we did it was about 8 miles away!
Like most, at some time in their life, the car had to sit out on the road or at best in the front garden, until we found a garage to rent that was big enough. And when we did it was about 8 miles away!
winter 85.jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 26043 times
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

'Lucky' I'm in between jobs at the mo, otherwise this could take forever.

Around 1990 we were going to a gym in Hendon that was also being used by Mark Wilsmore, who, as some of you will know, has since then gone on to re-open and run the Ace Cafe.
Turned out that Mark was into his American cars (& various bikes), and had just bought a Chevelle from a guy in Suffolk. Mark had had some bodywork done to the car and was so pleased with the results, when we said we wanted to do a fairly major job on our car, he recommended the guy to us.

So off to Wickham St Paul, nr Halstead, Suffolk, we went, and left the car in the capable hands of Steve Daines, along with some new rear 1/4's, a spare door we got with the car, and a replacement front pass side wing that Olly 'Sure route to Destruction' Eckaslike (sorry cant remember his surname) sold us.

Before we took the car I took some pics to remind us of the worse (visible) bits. I say visible, as there was worse to come once the car was stripped!
Attachments
and the usual scabby area around the base of the vinyl/rear screen
and the usual scabby area around the base of the vinyl/rear screen
late 1990 rot box-5.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 26040 times
top of same wing.... no patch panels available here! Steve had to make his own
top of same wing.... no patch panels available here! Steve had to make his own
late 1990 rot box-4.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 26040 times
bottom of front wing - got patch panels from Sherman to cure this
bottom of front wing - got patch panels from Sherman to cure this
late 1990 rot box-3.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 26040 times
rear 1/4 was an mot failure cos of jagged edge developing around arch
rear 1/4 was an mot failure cos of jagged edge developing around arch
late 1990 rot box-2.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 26040 times
ok from 20ft, apart from the colour and the badly painted on Dodge stripe
ok from 20ft, apart from the colour and the badly painted on Dodge stripe
late 1990 rot box-1.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 26040 times
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Great stuff.

By the way, who owned the Chrysler by Chrysler in the background ?

Still about ?
Attachments
garys_picnic_1985-1_518.jpg
garys_picnic_1985-1_518.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 26038 times
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

tell you what that guy in the blue jacket and the glasses is a ringer for a fella that used to race with our crowd groucho, we called him unfortunately he lost the plot and got more on the bottle
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Thanks Sandy

The guy with his back to us in that pic, with the no-expense-spared team t-shirt, was the CH owner, Paul Mander.
T'was a lovely car, a/c, electric seats, etc when he got it. But gradually got dtripped of its creature comforts in favour of go faster goodies.

Paul eventually moved on to a Duster to replace the Chrysler (but never got finished - current project should see daylight early next year), and the poor thing got sent to the scrapheap.

Another pic of the CH, plenty more to follow when I start posting from old events...
Attachments
Guzzlin Gooseberry.jpg
Guzzlin Gooseberry.jpg (96.23 KiB) Viewed 26017 times
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Looks like an old Morris Marina that does
Kev

Post by Kev »

Heathen........
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Cannonball wrote:tell you what that guy in the blue jacket and the glasses is a ringer for a fella that used to race with our crowd groucho, we called him unfortunately he lost the plot and got more on the bottle
Youre right about 'lost the plot', Dunc, but nah, dont think it's 'groucho'. This guy's real name is Spencer ..... [-X stop it! But he also got called Lewis cos of his resemblance to one of the characters in Revenge of the Nerds. I thought he more resembled Velma from Scooby Doo........

Velma/Lewis/Spencer emigrated to Australia to settle down with a Shiela he met a work, never to be seen again...
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

BTW, that cuda behind Velma is the one Dave Eady recently finished restoring, and had at the 2004 Nats.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Back to the history lesson...

See notes in the picture description
Attachments
can you tell what it is yet?
can you tell what it is yet?
13-1-91 plenty o bondo.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 25996 times
Be grateful Alex, you got off lightly with yours!!
Be grateful Alex, you got off lightly with yours!!
13-1-91 rear qtr removed-3.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 25996 times
13-1-91 rear qtr removed-3.jpg
13-1-91 rear qtr removed-3.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 25996 times
Other side. No recent import, this one! Been in UK since '77, and spent time in Belgium before that I think.
Other side. No recent import, this one! Been in UK since '77, and spent time in Belgium before that I think.
13-1-91 rear qtr removed-2.jpg (78.1 KiB) Viewed 25996 times
Biggest job was to replace both rear quarters, new sheet metal from Sherman. Fitted pretty good as far as I recall. Note other horrors revealed when old 1/4 removed!
Biggest job was to replace both rear quarters, new sheet metal from Sherman. Fitted pretty good as far as I recall. Note other horrors revealed when old 1/4 removed!
13-1-91 rear qtr removed-1.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 25996 times
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

oops doubled up on one there.
As you can see from some of the pics, original colour was Spanish Gold Y4 i think. I'm sure Stu will correct me if I'm wrong. There were about 3 other colours still on the car including the Volkswagen green and a white.
Attachments
and this is what was in there. A golden virginia tobacco tin lid, with a lump of filler attached.
and this is what was in there. A golden virginia tobacco tin lid, with a lump of filler attached.
17-3-91 front wing bondo and tobacco tin lid.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 25989 times
this is the bottom of the drivers side front wing that we thought would need a patch panel. Now we can see why
this is the bottom of the drivers side front wing that we thought would need a patch panel. Now we can see why
17-3-91 inverted driver side front wing.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 25989 times
another area needing attention
another area needing attention
13-1-91 pass side door jamb.jpg (63.16 KiB) Viewed 25989 times
interesting markings under the vinyl. Well, interesting to someone, no doubt.
interesting markings under the vinyl. Well, interesting to someone, no doubt.
13-1-91 vinyl & qtr removed.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 25989 times
must've had a large impact on the rear 1/4 - loads of filler above where the old 1/4 removed plus the inner wheel housing distorted
must've had a large impact on the rear 1/4 - loads of filler above where the old 1/4 removed plus the inner wheel housing distorted
13-1-91 rear qtr removed-4.jpg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 25989 times