Dirty 72 Van

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

polosteve

Dirty 72 Van

Post by polosteve »

Evening all,

My winter project, expensive, non running but a full panel van with 360 and a 8.75 rear end. I fancied it, from Corona CA, its had a shunt up the rear, everything needed going through.

Water pump had a hole in the front, it had corroded weirdly. Perhaps antifreeze (In CA?) corroded the alloy pump, the weird stuff went down into the bottom hose, like jelly. I fitted a new water pump and the fuel tank was beaten up, I got a new new one with a sender etc...

I drilled out a snapped off stud and managed to clean out/re-tapped the original size thread. Also got some slot mags fitted, although the front skinny ones were temporary. For a non-runner the van has decent compression and does not use any oil, result.

Blank canvas on on the inside, all straight and tidy. Figured the van would need some ventilated so a replaced the knackered roof vent with a new one. Replaced the trans mount as well, stripped down the front suspension to replace nearly everything, ball joints, control arm bushes, tie rods etc....

First time doing ball joints on anything - What a b@stard, the threaded uppers ones had been in their since the start of time and did not want to come out. It took a lot of heat, leverage and swearing. Satisfying getting it done, I admit I took out the lower press in ball joint but I got a local garage to press the new ones in before painting it all.

Took off the lovely aluminium manual steering gear and replaced it with a bloody horrible iron thing that leaks and puts more 'stuff' in the engine bay :scratch:

Got the front end alignment sorted after having everything in pieces, fitted a tiny exhaust because the original one was far to quiet, got some valve covers that I have not fitted yet.

Also got a place in Bristol called GEMSEC to Re-Key the locks for me, I highly recommend then.

Naughty Core plug... spraying a mist of hot water right onto the alternator.

New screen - farmed that job out.

Tidied up rear end and complete brake overhaul at the rear.

Also picked up a champion Ali rad off US ebay, nearly half the price of the factory 3 row -recored one I got a few years ago at Exeter Radiators. Ridiculous a re-core was basically £400 and a new champion one delivered across the world was like £250.

Lent my hand to button tufting and some upholstery :D

Keeping the interior basic, a platform for a bed and some shag carpet. It could all be easily removed if wanted.

Done a few road trips, and did a 1300+ mile road trip to France. So far so good, Corvair belongs to my brother in law, rad little van, chugs along better than any vw.

My pro way of testing to see where the heater is leaking from :D
Found the leak, also picked up a performer inlet off us ebay, a decent gamble. Got a Holley factory refurbished 4 barrel on its way, basic 1850 type but with a choke. Should push her along better than the 2 barrel.

Work in progress 8-)

I have some 10's to polish up for the rear, some 2' Raise block I might fit to the rear for that obnoxious rake.

Also would like to fit some headers and flow masters, that may have to wait for a while though.
Last edited by polosteve on Tue Nov 05, 19 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Chaos

Re: Dirty 72 Van

Post by Captain Chaos »

Love it👍 Slots,deep buttoning,rake it’s got it going on.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Brilliant buy and fantastic work, thanks for Posting!!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

That’s epic. Nothing better than a boogie van.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

The want is strong.
Nice van.
-Jon.
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Yep great story the van is cool, you just need a switch on that so when your driving down a dark dim area and someone is walking alone you flick the switch a headlight goes dim the engine goes off song with a misfire the exhaust gets a blow and it starts smoking a bit instant terror for the poor innocent person,, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cannonball wrote: Mon Nov 04, 19 12:37 pm Yep great story the van is cool, you just need a switch on that so when your driving down a dark dim area and someone is walking alone you flick the switch a headlight goes dim the engine goes off song with a misfire the exhaust gets a blow and it starts smoking a bit instant terror for the poor innocent person,, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
You need help, Duncan.... ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Derek

Post by Derek »

Pete wrote: Mon Nov 04, 19 2:43 pm
Cannonball wrote: Mon Nov 04, 19 12:37 pm Yep great story the van is cool, you just need a switch on that so when your driving down a dark dim area and someone is walking alone you flick the switch a headlight goes dim the engine goes off song with a misfire the exhaust gets a blow and it starts smoking a bit instant terror for the poor innocent person,, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
I was thing that Pete, Duncan must have been watching Jeepers Creepers.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Derek wrote: Mon Nov 04, 19 2:50 pm
Pete wrote: Mon Nov 04, 19 2:43 pm
[/quote

I was thing that Pete, Duncan must have been watching Jeepers Creepers.

What a laugh that'd be :lol:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Vans are cool :thumbright:
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

wow thats a lot of great work you've done... love the shaggin Waggin interior :rr: well done sir. :salute:
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
polosteve

Post by polosteve »

:shock: :D The 'Get in the van' jokes are endless with my mates,

Cheers gents, its been great fun. I do wonder why I have two slow vans, if got rid of both I could have a lovely A body! Love it really,
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

When the van’s rockin’ don’t come knockin’
123123345.jpg
123123345.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Mark B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 19 11:12 pm When the van’s rockin’ don’t come knockin’

123123345.jpg

Is she gonna wash them dirty feet before she gets in onto that nice clean carpet? ;)
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

mygasser wrote: Wed Nov 06, 19 10:08 pm Is she gonna wash them dirty feet before she gets in onto that nice clean carpet? ;)
No need to.
I'd hazard a guess that they may well be in the air, not on the floor!! :woot:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"