RHD '68 BARRACUDA RESTORATION

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ1971scamp

Re: RHD '68 BARRACUDA RESTORATION

Post by Russ1971scamp »

Quality work, its going to look fantastic
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Some great work going on there - looking forward to some more updates :thumbright:
Valcuda

Post by Valcuda »

I'm curious about your master cylinder/booster configuration. Is it identical to the set-up from a LHD drive Barracuda?

On my RHD Cuda, I had (as built) a separate booster below the battery pan with just the master cylinder attached to the bulkhead. And that was totally different from the LHD master cylinder because the pipe connections are on the other side, towards the wing. In fact, the same as on a Rambler of the same year. A wrecked RHD Cuda that I bought many years ago for spares had had an American master cylinder (like yours) bolted to the bulkhead to replace its original (which I presume was like mine) but the brake pipes had to be bent so sharply to clear the rocker cover that they eventually cracked at the bend!!!!!
1969 Valiant Barracuda (/6 from South Africa)
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Valcuda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 21 4:44 pm I'm curious about your master cylinder/booster configuration. Is it identical to the set-up from a LHD drive Barracuda?

On my RHD Cuda, I had (as built) a separate booster below the battery pan with just the master cylinder attached to the bulkhead. And that was totally different from the LHD master cylinder because the pipe connections are on the other side, towards the wing. In fact, the same as on a Rambler of the same year. A wrecked RHD Cuda that I bought many years ago for spares had had an American master cylinder (like yours) bolted to the bulkhead to replace its original (which I presume was like mine) but the brake pipes had to be bent so sharply to clear the rocker cover that they eventually cracked at the bend!!!!!
In all honesty I couldn't say, the only few RHD Barracuda's I've seen have the same setup as mine.

Cheers,
Lee
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

some RHD will have got the remote booster set up used by the Aussies on slant 6 cars

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Hello all,

I thought it about time I posted an update.

The project has been pretty much stalled since the start of the lockdowns when I couldn't get to the car. Towards the end of 2020 I lost the storage & brought the car home (where it's now living in a temporary garage- not ideal but at least it's close by). The last year & a half however have been taken up by other commitments which have swallowed virtually all of my spare time so the car has sat patiently waiting.
Although not much has happened on the shell, I have managed to put some time into refurbishing various parts & sourcing replacement parts. I've been all over the place chasing/collecting hard to find parts. I also now have a healthy collection of Rock Auto fridge magnets! - It amazes me how fast those guys can get an order to your door.

Anyway, I'm now at the point where I have a little spare time, so I can finally crack on again. Pics to follow.

Cheers,
Lee
Blue

Post by Blue »

Good to hear Lee, I'm sure yours will be one of the tidiest RHD cars when its done. If you've been watching eBay, a couple of ropey RHD Barracudas have broken cover this week.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Cheers Blue, if it ends up half as good as yours I'll be a happy man. Yours is looking superb btw.

I'd seen the one that went through Matthewsons (those guys have a lot of work on their hands!) & yes just seen the one on Ebay. They do seem to come out of the woodwork every now & again. The trouble is though, as you say, they're normally pretty far gone. It does make you wonder just how many still lie in barns/garages etc though.
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

A few bits I worked on a while ago. headlamps/bowls/trim rings given a going-over, and replacement bonnet decorative castings sourced from a guy in London. Mine were very pitted so I managed to find these which were part of a small job lot of other bits & bobs. The paint was shot but the chrome good, so lots of cleaning, masking, painting & swearing later they came up nice. I think I ended up painting them 3 times as the detailing kept bleeding!
Happy with the results though.
Attachments
HEADLAMPS.jpg
HEADLAMPS.jpg (142.94 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
BONNET GRILLS.jpg
BONNET GRILLS.jpg (137.09 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
GRILLS 2.jpg
GRILLS 2.jpg (133.7 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

Who knows, you’d think by now all the ones stashed away would have surfaced by now but that’s four now this year that have been dragged out of long term hibernation.
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Possibly a 5th to follow… :drwho:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Those have come up fantastic. What did you use to paint them with?

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Stu wrote: Fri Jul 08, 22 1:06 pm Possibly a 5th to follow… :drwho:
Ooo, sounds interesting!

Re the hood castings- etch primer, truck bed textured spray, colour & satin lacquer.
The fiddly masking is always the awkward bit on bits like these!
Blue

Post by Blue »

Good call on the truck bed spray, I'll try and remember that one for a textured finish.
Stu

Post by Stu »

:thumbright: yes, agree the truck bed spray looks to have worked a treat. 8-)

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435