Rare trim issue.

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt74

Re: Rare trim issue.

Post by Matt74 »

It will take a long time to polish even with proper tools and consumables.
I wouldn't send it out as it's too rare.

When I did my charger trim I used a large 240 grit flap wheel on a floor machine (spindle) then 320 followed by a sisal mop with yellow peril compound and then a soft cotton/stitch mop with hyfin compound (we use a bovine free alternative at work now I'll find out what it's called and report back).

You can use smaller 6 inch mops on a bench grinder. It will just take a bit longer. I'm sure you know a dust mask at the very least is essential even with the soft mops and especially if you use trizact products as the dust is so fine. Excellent product but very expensive.

I may have some mops and compound in my shed to fit a bench grinder if you are interested that I can post to you.

There are other methods as already mentioned but this is the way I do it!
Blue

Post by Blue »

It's quite rigid and springy like windscreen trim, can't see it being ally. Thanks for the input Matt,Yes if you can tell me what I need that's what I'll do. I have a spare bench grinder with a spindle for polishing mops which I've always intended to get going but never got round to. You're right I shouldn't be letting rare trim out of my sight!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Blue wrote: Thu Oct 22, 20 4:18 pm It's quite rigid and springy like windscreen trim, can't see it being ally. Thanks for the input Matt,Yes if you can tell me what I need that's what I'll do. I have a spare bench grinder with a spindle for polishing mops which I've always intended to get going but never got round to. You're right I shouldn't be letting rare trim out of my sight!
I'd be worried they might drop it or get it wrapped around the floor machine.
kma176

Post by kma176 »

I used grey and red scotch brite then a floor standing polishing machine using different sisal heads and different grades of soaps/compound when doing my stainless window and gutter trims - they all came out like new in the end!!
Kev
A100

Post by A100 »

Blue wrote: Wed Oct 21, 20 9:05 pm Didn't think of sending it out I tend to do most things myself. I'll have a look to see if there's anywhere left around here that does that.
If you do decide to send it out to get polished there's a place in Cheshunt called Absolute reflections [url]https://absolutereflections.co.uk/url]
just down the road from you.
They did a set of outer rims for my sons split rim wheels and even he was impressed (he's a car detailer, very fussy)!
if you don't learn from your mistakes then they are just mistakes ! :scratch: