1969 Jensen Interceptor drivetrain upgrade

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

Re: 1969 Jensen Interceptor drivetrain upgrade

Post by Pete »

Yes, sump capacity is an issue on these.

What is the capacity on your engine sump.

We have a Jensen in at work at the moment (440) so will check to see what is possible.

I put an extra quart in my race car over the 8 quarts it takes, as most of it is in the top of the engine by the time you start it up!!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Hi Pete

It’s a 5 quart sump (one in the filter, 4 in the pan), I think it’s the 402 style.

Best wishes,
Nigel
Pete

Post by Pete »

My 396ci BBC Grenaded on 3.5 + 1 in the filter.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
morgan

Post by morgan »

NigelK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 21 6:22 pm The next question relates to the main oil seal - Pete said the engine was leaking like a b**tard from the main seal. Part of the issue may be Melling high pressure oil pump, but it seems this area is always tricky to seal properly. Has anyone tried one of the kits sold by Hughes or Mancini?
Just had a Mancini one fitted - came with a billeted section and a couple of rubber seals - doesnt leak at all now (and mine was REALLY leaking - like it rustproofed the car leaking :) ). I dont have first hand experience of the job; but I can say I am happy the Mancini one can clearly do it if that helps...
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

We’re going to inspect the seal when we get the engine back from the dyno and, in particular, check whether the seal groove in the block is machined equidistant either side of the crank centreline. If not, we might struggle to get a good seal with one of the new wider retainers, which offer less scope for adjustment within the block to centre the seal relative to the crank centreline. It may well be that a traditional rope seal is the best option if the seal groove is off kilter. Either that or use the existing retainer with wider drilled out holes so we can adjust the position of the lip seal. Hopefully we can make an informed decision post inspection...
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Hi Nigel, this is the spec of the 383/434 I built for a 60 polara,,,

10.48:1 compression ratio, Out of box stealth heads, stamped steel rocker arms, edelbrock performer intake, 750 vac sec Holley, standard oil pump,
standard windage tray with 402 oil pan, block decked and squared.

Camshaft MTD-2 .422/.444 lift 204/214@.050 107LSA

491 lb/ft @ 3300rpm 409hp @ 5000rpm 48- 51lbs of oil pressure during dyno pulls engine used 583cfm(could have used a 650cfm carb)

12 degrees initial, 37 degrees total, used super unleaded, makes 17"vacuum.

Engine was pulled to 5500 rpm but power curve dropped off.

This is a docile street engine, for a 4500lbs cruiser, it will still lay rubber :thumbright: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dynoed on a superflow dyno, same as Pete Knights
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Thanks Dave, nice numbers!

We inspected my 383/432 stroker yesterday. No obvious reason for the main seal oil leak, but it is a bad leak (see photo below from the dyno session). The guys noticed that the Fel-pro rubber main seal had left a mark on the crankshaft journal surface. Is this cause for concern? NB the journal surface is smooth, not knurled.
FA27CF8D-FCDB-4F67-B497-3EC6F3255409.jpeg
FA27CF8D-FCDB-4F67-B497-3EC6F3255409.jpeg (158.31 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Ring me, ill try and advice on rear seal issues, 07791 141170, regards, Dave
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Thanks again for the advice Dave - will set the seals in the block and retainer with silicone as you suggest. I inspected the seal area myself last Friday and it didn’t look like the seal halves had been installed with a slight rotational offset so the seal and block/retainer joins are not aligned. This’ll be corrected next time, and the workshop will run the engine on their rig to see if the leak is still there. I’ve also bought a one piece Fast Fish seal from the States as a back up option. Watch this space...
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Next question - the workshop guys are going to run the engine (at idle speed) on their test rig, to see if they have resolved the main seal leak, before putting the engine back in the car. They are currently considering how best to start the engine on the test rig. Obvious option is to hook up the A727 (with all the oil cooling plumbing connected) to the engine so the starter motor can crank the torque converter. Issue here is that the bellhousing will obscure any views of the main seal, so if there is still a leak they won't be able to pinpoint it. Alternative option could be to fit a manual flywheel to the crankshaft, assuming we can find one? Or would a manual flywheel obscure the main seal view so much anyway that we might as well just hook up the A727?
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i can't remember if there's a tin plate between the engine and box, if so bolt the box on without it so you can see up to the crank seal area. it's probably the best view you're going to get and if the seal leaks it'll get thrown onto the flex plate so you should be able to see that at least.
neil.
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Main seal leak sorted. Thanks to Dave B and others here for advice provided. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like through headers and a 2.25" stainless system I recently ordered...

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Good man :thumbright:
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Im just on with another 432 for a jenson, this time edelbrock heads, performer intake, mild cam, should be on dyno in a week or so, will let you know results.