a833 4 speed

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

gmopar59

a833 4 speed

Post by gmopar59 »

Went out for a spin this morning. Clutch pedal feels very notchy/ratchity. Duel friction centreforce put in about 10 years ago. Only do around 500 miles a year. Can get gears ok but deffo doesn't feel right. Any ideas before i start messing with it? No mechanic and getting too old to be lying on the floor and making things worse. BTW, lovely pics of Tony O on the home page. :salute:
Dave999

Re: a833 4 speed

Post by Dave999 »

sounds like you little white plastic half moon nylon stud seats have disinergarted in the cross shaft..

if clutch cover was a problem i'd expect it to drag or there be other noisy or gear change issues

first thing i'd do is buy a clutch cross shaft refresh kit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... +shaft+kit

you probably won't need the new ball studs... just clean up whats there

get a tube of water proof grease and fill the cross bar the red stuff

do this work first and if its still bad it may be thowout bearing, but they tend to make a racket all the time when they die.

i'm afraid its a day on your back. or if you have done it before a couple hours work including onto and off the stands
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

may as well replace the rubber button and washer on the push rod with one of these while you are at it

lets you set proper clearance and will never need doing again. standard fitment on era specific mopar trucks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mopar-Clutch ... Swq4ld~9VH
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Cheers Dave, no unusual noises, will look into it. Thorough as always. Scary thing is you like very like me. :salute: