1970 440 R/T Charger Driveway resto/rebuild

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix

1970 440 R/T Charger Driveway resto/rebuild

Post by Phoenix »

Hi all, I figured I would introduce you to my latest project which I imported over from Montana. It is a 1970 R/T SE Dodge Charger that I managed to pick up for a pretty good price thanks to COVID limiting travel. Originally found around the back of a transmission shop in Nevada where it had sat for a number of years, it was sold to the guy I bought it off just under a year ago, so hasn't spent long at all out of the desert.

As a result, besides the patchwork roof skin and the need for new rear quarters, the car is pretty solid. Trunk floor has gone in the centre (don't they all) and there is some pin holing in the passenger front footwell, but structurally it almost looks new underneath.

Engine wise, it is a 440 magnum, but not the original block. It has a 3 speed auto, but was converted to a manual and then back at some point. In the engine bay, someone has fitted strengthening tubes which had mounting points for front and mid engine plates, so there is a good chance the car was raced in its past.

The plan is to replace all the metal work, get the car in some sort of paint for the summer (most likely satin black) and drive the wheels off it. The engine block (which was seized thanks to sitting with the heads off) is currently at Stubbs Racing Engines in Derby for a spot of machine work (including a + 0.030" overbore on the block, forged pistons, and a 0.020" grind on the crank) and when I get it back, I'll build it up with new Trickflow heads, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, a Holley 950cfm Brawler with electric choke, 1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers and a bunch of other shiny (and bloody expensive stuff)

Progress on this one I hope to be swift and fast. The car came filled with parts and more besides and since then, I have ordered more parts in on two other containers with another on the way. I am also extremely active on social media and have even started a youtube channel documenting the build, but as it is the first time for me doing editing, filming, presenting etc. it is very much a work in progress.

More updates soon

Chris

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/valkyrie_creations_ltd/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3E2Cp ... mjvu-3fgkg
Pete

Re: 1970 440 R/T Charger Driveway resto/rebuild

Post by Pete »

Welcome Chris!

Blimey! A member in the MMA (Karl) is doing the same thing to the same model of car, and also similar Social media!

You two should hook up.

Are you going to race it at all when done?

Pete
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Hi Pete, I have seen Karl's videos on youtube under Torque American, I believe.

Plans with the car are to have something that isn't a pig to drive on the road, but will be quite happy on the strip too. The (lofty) goal is to have it at least driving so I can attend Mopar Euro Nationals at Santa Pod in July/August (though unlikely to be racing).

I also have a 1968 Mustang Fastback (I like cars regardless of what badge is on the front) which I am in the middle of a ground up restoration/modification and is due to come off the jig which is taking up the majority of the space in my garage at the moment, so plenty to keep me busy!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Welcome Chris, good choice of Mopar you have ther.

If you've seen some of Karl's videos no doubt you've seen my Bronze 68 and what i went through.

Keep the pics coming as you make progress.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Hi Derek, Indeed I have!

I got lucky with this car as it is solid underneath. As I'm doing all of the work myself, it keeps labour costs down so I'm able to throw it into parts instead.

There'll be more updates by the end of the week as I'm picking up a van full of parts, and possibly even the engine block too!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Now that imgur is behaving, I am able to show some of the work that I've done so far

As the car is about a foot longer than my garage is deeper, I'm restoring the car under a gazebo. The one you see here subsequently got destroyed in the storm on Boxing day, but a newer, beefier unit arrived yesterday and is already up.

Underside of the roof skin shows just how bad things had gotten under the old vinyl roof. There were 11 patches on the roof skin alone to prevent water getting it. The thing weighed a tonne when it finally came off!

Whilst access was good, I took the time to repair the mess someone had made of the rear package tray shelf. At some point in it's life, some enterprising individual took a gas axe to the metal to make the holes bigger for 6x9's. I'll be fabricating bolt in custom mounts for any speakers so wanted to get the tray back to factory without cutting out more metal than I needed to.

Pulled the motor and dropped it off at Dan at Stubbs Racing engines in Derby where I expected the news to be pretty bad as the crank was seized solid even after ATF sitting in the bores for a week...

Not great, but not terrible considering it had been sat with no heads for who knows how long?

Removal of a tonne of aftermarket sound deadening and an aluminium sheet revealed a very pinholed trunk centre section

Trans tunnel has been loved and cared for repeatedly in the past...

But the rear quarters that came with the car are a decent fit so there is that.

And finally, the mad b*stard who decided it was a cracking idea to rebuilt an American land barge on a driveway in a wet and rainy UK during winter... (at least the beard keeps my chin warm)
Pete

Post by Pete »

Great stuff.

I bet your neighbours love you.... ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

Looks a great project...at least the exchange rate is picking up your parts stateside
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Its a challenge but can be done! good on ya and keep on plugging !
=D>
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Nice project :thumbright: keep the pictures coming.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
SJH

Post by SJH »

Great project, looking forward to seeing the progress.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Great project and you are a brave man ;) doing it outside.

Good luck and keep the pictures/story coming :thumbright:
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Yeah, wot they said :thumbright:
morgan

Post by morgan »

Wow. You make me feel bad. There are a number of little things I could do with doing to mine but I cant quite face going out into the insulated garage to do them - there is always something warmer to do. Full resto, english winter, under canvas - hats off to you sir.
Really looking forward to this one. =D>
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Great project! I love to see stuff like this on the forum. Thanks for sharing :thumbright: