69 Super Bee resto finally started.

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

SPIKE

69 Super Bee resto finally started.

Post by SPIKE »

I have had this car for a while now and finally got around to getting the body repaired.

Car is a 69 Dodge Super Bee that I had shipped in from South Carolina. Car was born as a 383 four speed but after some digging to find the original motor found that the car was delivered with a 440 from the dealer, no more info. It has 11 inch drums up front and 10's on the rear with no boost. No power steering, pretty much no power anything. it seems you need a leg like Popeye to work the brakes but that will match the other leg you have from using the clutch!

As for rust the top half is actually not bad with rust in the rear window corners, however down below the water line it is not so rosy! all the floors are gone with loads of cancer in the bottoms of the rear panels in front of the rear wheels and behind. Front wings are good. Sills are all good inside and out. Front LH frame rail is like lace, I really don't know how the front is supported but the RH looks good. Don't think i will be so cheery about it when it comes out of the acid?

There are other pics but just cannot find them so have included these as it goes for it's acid trip!

CIMG4213.JPG
CIMG4213.JPG (140.46 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
CIMG4216.JPG
CIMG4216.JPG (186.13 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
CIMG4215.JPG
CIMG4215.JPG (177.96 KiB) Viewed 1562 times

I have most of the floor panels and the boot and "winglets", everything else i have got to buy or have made so anyone out there with any B Body panels please shout up!

I am thinking that this is going to be an expensive trip but, I really do love this body shape with the simple but aggressive stance.

Any help or advice welcomed.

Fingers crossed.
Pete

Re: 69 Super Bee resto finally started.

Post by Pete »

It' good that another one will be (eventually) saved!

Keep the updates and pictures coming - are you doing all the work yourself?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pete

Post by Pete »

I assume it is a Coupe (Post car) or have they just welded in braces for transportation?

Not many Post cars over here, either....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Pete,

It is in fact a "Post" car or "Coupes are for chickens" car. I think total production was about 7000 in 69 and hope to be corrected. I was told that these cars are a stronger shell due to the post and as such many were lost due to racing, probably whilst drunk. It sounds feasible?

I do like your use of the word "eventually" as it sounds endless. Personally i don't think it will be "too long" before the car comes back, I just need to keep the repair parts arriving as they are needed. I have to admit that we are going to "regroup"" after it comes back from the swamp just to check that it still is a viable project and not just a money pit. We have already got a list of parts to sell if things all go belly up but it would be a shame.

Thanks for your positive outlook and encouragement, it sure is needed.

Spike.
SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Forgot this:

No I am not doing the body myself as i am not skilled in that dept, i think you need extra patience. As for everything else, its down to me!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good stuff, my Bee was just a Hardtop.

I thought all Bee's were 383's from the factory unless it was an A12 variant.

Where are you based?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

SAV@RPM

Post by SAV@RPM »

Or a Hemi :lol:
Pete

Post by Pete »

SAV@RPM wrote: Sat Jun 05, 21 6:28 pm Or a Hemi :lol:
True enough..... now let's see the VIN!!! ;) ;) ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Martin,

Nice to hear from you! Apparently there are a few Bees with a "Hemi", some are just clones though, built for boy racers, So I am told.

Pete,

Not an A12 car unfortunately, however it did come with a Six Pack in the boot, Block is trashed though, need one soon!

Spike.
SAV@RPM

Post by SAV@RPM »

Hi Spike
Not so much of a boy anymore ! Or a racer come to that.