Restoration thread 1969 St Albans charger

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Chargingatchya

Re: Restoration thread 1969 St Albans charger

Post by Chargingatchya »

I will post a picture of the carb shortly
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

1C7AC36A-617A-4575-BBC3-077345B9FFC5.jpeg
1C7AC36A-617A-4575-BBC3-077345B9FFC5.jpeg (188.64 KiB) Viewed 7999 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Do you have a Bin handy?

Personally, I hate them.

I would pay for a decent Holley and save your time, but that's just me....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pete

Post by Pete »

.. and the key to a happy life on an old car is lots of inline Fuel Filters - preferably after the tank but before the pump if possible, and failing that before the Carb....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Okay thanks Pete. Is there a holly in particular you recommended?

I have filter after the pump, is it a good idea to have one before, too then? I’m on it!
Pete

Post by Pete »

It would protect the pump as well as the carb that way, but not essential - it almost seems trivial after all the other work you have done.

A decent 650 Vac secondary carb will work well with a 383. You can go bigger but I do not think you will notice the difference....

Most people will disagree - it is up there with "what is the best oil?" but everyone has their view.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Il look in to this and see what’s about! Thank you mate.
Pete

Post by Pete »

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MattH

Post by MattH »

The backfire is unlikely to just be one plug, much more the carb and timing. If it sat for many years the carb could have all sorts of gummed up bits inside.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

your carter carb is a perfectly good carb, they are just a bit of a pain to get right, they were obviously alright originally,as chrylser used em all over. if they were a pig to set up during production something else would have been used. one presumes cheap and did the job, would have driven that buisness decison.

Adrian worman, previously of this parish, although not in evidence for about 5 years, knew his way round most carter carbs and helped quite a few people sort theirs out

It has to be said there is more holley expertise in the UK.

The rover v8 crowd like a carter style, Edelbrock made, 500 or 650 AVS, anyone who does that kind of work should be able to tune what you have.
expect to pay 40-80 for a tuning kit of rods n jets n springs from edelbrock or £10 from china

i think yours is an AFB style carb made by carter or edelbrock/weber/magnetti marelli. i.e doesn't have the spring loaded air vane of the AVS. there should be a flappy bit on the top of the secondaries that will be mechnically linked or counter weighted instead of spring loaded.

for it to work the rods need to have 2 sections of correct thickenss, there are multiple variations per carb model and most of the rods can be used in carbs that they were not orginally designed for.
the hole, namely the jet the rod restricts, needs to be the correct bore
and the spring that resists against a reducing vaccum signal controls if the fat bit or thin bit of the rod is in the jet, needs to be correct.
coupled with the usual accelerator pump fun.

lambda senser or rolling road makes tuning these carbs easier

getting it running perfectly just on the primaries with the secondaries wired shut is the way to go....initially i.e run it like it was a carter BBD.
rods jets springs for primaries, often just jet and air flap, regardless of how it is controlled, for secondaries

if you can work out its CFM from its part number, you can download the manual for a simlar carb from edelbrock
or with a bit of work, find out the car it came off orginally and get the service manual or carter carbs manual for it.
if it turns out to be a universal/aftermarket carb even better.

any old carb will always be spoiled by air leaks at the throttle shafts, no free play in throttle cable at eaither end of travel and the outcome is ware..... check first

if its an 800CFM monster its not going to be ideal, you probably want a 400-650 CFM
the only massive CFM carb that might work is a carter themoquad its an 800cfm carb used on 318 - 440 engines. again pefectly good carb but not liked by many at all..... and hard to repair/restore due to all the emissions crap on them. Any bin full of carter carbs would be 80% thermoquads. its a shame really.

or get a holley. ive never had one , they might be dead easy... :)

yours appears to have an electric choke
make sure you don't feed it off the wire to the coil... its a "noisy" supply and the heat element in the choke will sink a lot of current when cold meaning less power for sparking...not what you want, it will highlight any problems with connectivity or resistance in that wire until the choke coil gets hot..... and on a standard car that wire is only 9 volts when car is in RUN. taking it from the other end of the ballast is still not quite good enough. really needs its own switched and fused feed

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
James Vette

Post by James Vette »

[/quote]
Thanks! Love a Mopar chat and you are welcome to check it out, I could talk about the project for hours and saves my wife am ear ache :lol: but although the threads called St Albans charger that’s only where the car comes from and what it was always known as. I am in Dartford in Kent :)
[/quote]

Sounds awesome but a bit far from me. I'd love to help work on it.
currently driving: 1971 stingray
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

[list[/list]
Dave999 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 21 10:38 am your carter carb is a perfectly good carb, they are just a bit of a pain to get right, they were obviously alright originally,as chrylser used em all over. if they were a pig to set up during production something else would have been used. one presumes cheap and did the job, would have driven that buisness decison.

Adrian worman, previously of this parish, although not in evidence for about 5 years, knew his way round most carter carbs and helped quite a few people sort theirs out

It has to be said there is more holley expertise in the UK.

The rover v8 crowd like a carter style, Edelbrock made, 500 or 650 AVS, anyone who does that kind of work should be able to tune what you have.
expect to pay 40-80 for a tuning kit of rods n jets n springs from edelbrock or £10 from china

i think yours is an AFB style carb made by carter or edelbrock/weber/magnetti marelli. i.e doesn't have the spring loaded air vane of the AVS. there should be a flappy bit on the top of the secondaries that will be mechnically linked or counter weighted instead of spring loaded.

for it to work the rods need to have 2 sections of correct thickenss, there are multiple variations per carb model and most of the rods can be used in carbs that they were not orginally designed for.
the hole, namely the jet the rod restricts, needs to be the correct bore
and the spring that resists against a reducing vaccum signal controls if the fat bit or thin bit of the rod is in the jet, needs to be correct.
coupled with the usual accelerator pump fun.

lambda senser or rolling road makes tuning these carbs easier

getting it running perfectly just on the primaries with the secondaries wired shut is the way to go....initially i.e run it like it was a carter BBD.
rods jets springs for primaries, often just jet and air flap, regardless of how it is controlled, for secondaries

if you can work out its CFM from its part number, you can download the manual for a simlar carb from edelbrock
or with a bit of work, find out the car it came off orginally and get the service manual or carter carbs manual for it.
if it turns out to be a universal/aftermarket carb even better.

any old carb will always be spoiled by air leaks at the throttle shafts, no free play in throttle cable at eaither end of travel and the outcome is ware..... check first

if its an 800CFM monster its not going to be ideal, you probably want a 400-650 CFM
the only massive CFM carb that might work is a carter themoquad its an 800cfm carb used on 318 - 440 engines. again pefectly good carb but not liked by many at all..... and hard to repair/restore due to all the emissions crap on them. Any bin full of carter carbs would be 80% thermoquads. its a shame really.

or get a holley. ive never had one , they might be dead easy... :)

yours appears to have an electric choke
make sure you don't feed it off the wire to the coil... its a "noisy" supply and the heat element in the choke will sink a lot of current when cold meaning less power for sparking...not what you want, it will highlight any problems with connectivity or resistance in that wire until the choke coil gets hot..... and on a standard car that wire is only 9 volts when car is in RUN. taking it from the other end of the ballast is still not quite good enough. really needs its own switched and fused feed

Dave

Dave, thanks you so much for taking the time to write this. Honestly exactly what I needed as I am completely new to carbs. This very thorough and detailed post has given me a platform to start from, working with what I have. I do intend to get a holly on her in future, but at this point I really am more comfortable working with what I have as I have no idea what Iv got to deal with, and any costs that may/will arise from this point.

You have do have a huge amount of knowledge don’t you?! Your obviously a Mopar veteran!

Time to spend a few hours on google and learn how to pull apart and put this thing back together and then hopefully get it tuned.

If there is anyone on that you guys can recommend who will be willing to help and teach me a little, I’d be really grateful and of course pay their time. I live just off the QE2 bridge in Dartford, Kent.

Again thanks!
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

MattH wrote: Fri Nov 19, 21 8:55 am The backfire is unlikely to just be one plug, much more the carb and timing. If it sat for many years the carb could have all sorts of gummed up bits inside.
Thank you Matt, il get her off and cleaned up and try again….
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the backfire could be as simple as the choke not working and the motor's cold. did you run it long enough to warm it up to 'operating temperature'?
neil.
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Chargingatchya wrote: Sat Nov 20, 21 6:20 am [quote=MattH post_id=652425 time=<a href="tel:1637312156">1637312156</a> user_id=69]
The backfire is unlikely to just be one plug, much more the carb and timing. If it sat for many years the carb could have all sorts of gummed up bits inside.
Thank you Matt, il get her off and cleaned up and try again….
[/quote]

Thanks mate. Yes indeed could be mate. To be honest was always going to rebuild the carb before attempting do drive so now is as good a time as any. Upon de assembly I realised the dashpot plunger is missing. Otherwise the carbs in a good way. Definitely needed a clean. The gaskets don’t look bad at all though.