Restoration thread 1969 St Albans charger

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

ScottyDave

Re: Restoration thread 1969 St Albans charger

Post by ScottyDave »

It's a hard slog but worth it in the end, you're doing a great job =D>
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Great to see the update, you look like you are doing a great job rescuing this.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

Superb work and dedication. Mopar engine bays were always body colour, it might be a detail that doesn’t bug you now but I guarantee it will at some point if you paint the car any other colour than black. You clearly have an eye for getting details right!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu

Post by Stu »

Yes, the engine bay is a very fair point. Always body colour on Mopar as Blue says.

If nothing else, you’ll get pig sick of everyone in the world pointing it out if you don’t. :D

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Mine's Black

:drwho:

I knew it was ment to be body colour, brother done it that way because it was easier for himself and he was painting it.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Stu

Post by Stu »

ScottyDave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 22 4:45 pm Mine's Black

:drwho:

I knew it was ment to be body colour, brother done it that way because it was easier for himself and he was painting it.
:wack: :D

Needs must, sometimes. :lol:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Great work you are doing and you will have car to enjoy :thumbright:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

see ya at the NATS matey

get a load of views on camshafts....need to come armed with an idea of you static CR
The rest is pretty standard you just have slightly taller pistons

I can always use lots of words to say what did but what i did aint necessarily right..... mines a 6 with a head like a diesel generator....and only me and matt running/having rebuilt one here....(that we know of)

you have much more scope and a huge range of cams availble and there will be somone who has done it before that you can talk to

Many thanks for the kind words, well on the way to a nice motor...

i always say it, but checking out what you plan to use for sensible Dynamic CR gives that confidence before you press buy it now....
ite very easy just to say Oh yeah everyone says the "purple cam" is great.... well it might have been in 1982.....new grinds that might be better will exist but you need to know their impact on the whole Combo of parts DCR can help... with the right DCR you can run high static CR successfully on the street on 98 RON or wake up a low static CR truck/motorhome style build for a bit more ZIP and RPM..... all about the level of SUCK and the speed in the ports

couple of tools about and i can point you to a downloadbale one that runs on a PC that made sense to me

Romac/Rollmaster timing sets are NICE and seem to have been manufctured by somone who cares... US and Austrlian dealers, Aussie timing set with German IWIS chains. key slots in the correct place and well labelled

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

Hughes probably carry the largest range of Mopar specific cams, lots of useful tech on their website too. Only use a billet timing set, even the 440 Source one was spot on when I checked it.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think that "Rollmaster" are no more and the German company that makes the chains will not ship to the UK post Brexit....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

still there Mr Rollmaster May be no more..or at least retired .... company went from small independent into a wholly owned subsidiary of some other big corporation about 20 years ago
like just about everything else

https://www.norndaautomotive.com.au/our ... aster.html

http://www.romacusa.com/

and the chain goes Germany to Aus in a great big box... the "set" comes AUS or USA to UK
brexit issues may have an impact i.e the postage will be £1M but thats our fault, they are just taking advantage of the confusion caused.

i have had 2 and they have been great, i have a motor notorious, in standard form, for cam float and harmonics, sprocket grinding out the front face of the block and the timing cover as standard, smashing the oil pump off its mounting...etc etc. hence belt n braces applied, noboday makesa a hemi 6 oil pump/block/timing cover.....

got a flat plate bearing on the back, stops the sproket grinding the block if your cam/lifter intreface doesn't have the correct contour to keep the cam in the right place againts the reaction provided by the oil pump drive...makes for easy use of a cam button as well, the cam can't sit too far back. and their SFI approved balancers are pretty good too

i am not called David Rollmaster, and Mr romac is not one of my uncles, i just had good service :)

Dave
Pete

Post by Pete »

Trojan on the first link....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Really? apologies if there is but i can't see it

I can access it from work,(and you know where i work...no half measures here) and i'm at work now looking at it, if there was an issue with it i'd get a really snotty email from information security... a big red cross/warning and maybe a visit.
like i do when i come to this site and someone has something linked off another site as their signature.

this is why i can't see half of the pictures posted here...extreme caution applied to browsing from work. i just get text saying suspected "weapons" or "Adult Content" for pictures of a dodge dart.

their site runs an older version of jquery and has a geolocation widget that fails to run.... your browser may not like one or both of these things. both are recognised software products but hey never say never.

latest chrome seems fine with it

content of first link for the nervous

NORNDA AUTOMOTIVE ARE THE PROUD OWNERS OF ROLLMASTER ABOUT ROLLMASTER

The first step Rollmaster took in creating the world’s best chain and sprocket system was to utilize billet steel construction for the upper and lower sprockets rather than cast iron. This reduced wear and improved accuracy by providing 100% CNC machined Surfaces.

Next Rollmaster determined that the easiest, most accurate and dependable method for providing adjustability in cam timing was to provide nine keyway positions on most lower sprockets. This eliminated the need for offset bushings and proved much more reliable and positive than adjustable eccentric style pins or multi part upper sprockets. Nine keyways were not possible until Rollmaster produced the lower sprocket from billet steel. Cast iron simply cannot provide the strength necessary when material thickness and mass are reduced by the keyways. Billet can provide the strength and has proven so for 36 years.

Once sprocket material and adjustment method had been determined, the search was on for a chain that would meet the quality standards set by Rollmaster. In an extensive round of destructive tests on 50 brands of chain, it was determined that Iwis chain, produced in Germany, out-performed any other brand. Rollmaster then suggested engineering changes to the existing Iwis chain to make it even better and this improved product became a Rollmaster exclusive by Iwis. Each year a batch of these chains are sent to Bureau Veritas Asset Integrity Services for testing.

In the years since 1980, Rollmaster has grown in coverage and availability. We have continually upgraded material, machinery and processes to stay ahead of the curve on quality and provide accurate timing sets. Since 1980, offset bushing is pretty much a thing of the past, and manufacturers of those adjustable upper gears are now all racing to produce billet sets with nine keyways, but none can match the accuracy of Rollmaster or quality of the exclusive Iwis Pro Series Chain.

Dave
Stu

Post by Stu »

Just read the updates on FB, looks like good progress is being made around a hectic work schedule. Hats off to you sticking with this one. A big old job and great to see it being revived. :thumbright:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Wowza! Last update was in July. That means two things… I’m getting old fast, and chargers progressing slowly!

So things have been crazy busy. I sent myself on a fast track engine course, and even ended up working in an aircraft hanger doing all kinds of engineering tasks. Carrying out 75 hour, 150 hour and full engine tear down and re assembly. One things for sure light aircraft are much easier to work on than cars! Life’s been busy busy but I have had a blast. Along with running an electrical business the charger progress has not been as fast as I’d like but fixing aeroplanes has been fun. Ended up being there lots more than intended so the chargers been seeing half a day a week. It has progressed none the less. And I have learned a ton over the last 6 months. Just want to keep improving as a mechanic/engineer. I absolutely love it and the next project is already in the queue ..

So the charger is pretty much a complete car now. Still got nuts and bolts I need to chase, and snags that need doing but the car now drives and stops.

I have re installed the drum brakes as I can’t afford to upgrade to disks right now so that’s going to have to wait and il get used to stopping with drums for now. Need to break the engine in over the next few months so il be driving (relatively) slow & the drums should be sufficient ha ha

I also managed to get some panel alignment done so the doors and lines all meet quite nicely.

Glass is all in now, although the passenger rear needs better installing as it keeps falling of the rails :roll:

New power steering pump fitted as the existing was screaming in pain. Also a nice new carpet from rockauto. Great! :thumbright:

I also fabricated a new exhaust system. Went with 2.5” through H pipe. That’s was not easy laying on my back… but it’s done now and whilst I won’t say I’m 100 percent happy with what Iv created, it does sound pretty awesome :lol:

Here’s some pics for viewing pleasure. this thread is noway finished! Il do my best to update more often as unfortunately loads more have been done that I forget to mention but it will all come back to me as I browse pics so although the thread may not be in order it will all be there. Not all pics are Mopar but it all tells the story.

Installing front windshield is a job I never want to do again… what a pain! Really happy with it I’m the end but boy did it make me work! Surprised how nicely the trim all came together around the AMD roof. A little work here amd there but great results in the end.

Exhaust pics are build in progress, I forgot to get pics of it complete on the bench unfortunately

To be updated with a break through post soon :lol: \:D/
Attachments
IMG_2780.jpeg
IMG_2780.jpeg (241.8 KiB) Viewed 7750 times
IMG_0421.jpeg
IMG_0421.jpeg (190.88 KiB) Viewed 7750 times
A6EBDC69-5E1D-44AE-A958-693BDFB9A41B.jpeg
A6EBDC69-5E1D-44AE-A958-693BDFB9A41B.jpeg (199.1 KiB) Viewed 7750 times
IMG_0372.jpeg
IMG_0372.jpeg (157.63 KiB) Viewed 7750 times
IMG_1451.jpeg
IMG_1451.jpeg (273.84 KiB) Viewed 7750 times