Waterless Coolant

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

68Charger

Waterless Coolant

Post by 68Charger »

Hi guys and gals i was wondering if anyone has tried this in their Mopar, im thinking of trying it in the charger, if you have which brand did you use and how did it work ?
Bozwell

Re: Waterless Coolant

Post by Bozwell »

if you're putting it in a museum fine, if you are planning to use it then best avoided.

Used it on various cars including race cars and had nothing but problems.

main one being the engine oil runs much hotter. not an issue you'd think would be related but i have seen first hand proof tested back to back.

The cooling system will run slightly hotter and no it isn't because it is drawing more heat. (as the blurb says) . banned from motor-sport in some countries as it is very slippery if a leak occurs and can get extremely hot before it boils (180 degrees C) so you can burn yourself badly.

Use the recommended antifreeze and de-ionized water. it's the tap water that causes corrosion build up in engines.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well said, Barry.
In addition, what happens when you are out and about and you loose Coolant? How are you going to top it up?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

going back to the oil heat issue we thought the oil cooler wasn't big enough. A much bigger cooler didn't make any difference. it was only when the waterless coolant was drained and went back to traditional antifreeze/water mix did the oil temps come right down

thought i'd better mention it in case you thought a cooler will work.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

the specifc heat capcity of waterless coolant is half that of water
and about 2/3 that of water glycol mix

i.e its not as good at the job it was designed to do as it should be

hence you engine oil gets hot
cos the waterless coolant is leaving behind 33-50% of the heat energy when compared with water on each circuit round

marketing pifflewiffle = sales

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

I remember JC telling us that he had it in his Superbird. And while the car may not have boiled over, everything else got much hotter that usual.
From that I would agree that it doesn't do as good a job at dissipating the heat.
I doubt that all the rubber parts and electrics etc enjoy the increased temps.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the main reason i wouldn't use it is it's too bl00dy expensive. now i know it's crap too i definately wouldn't use it :D .
neil.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

sold on not needing to be replaced every 2-3 years and not rusting the jacket and head if you don't replace it

neither are part of the remit really.... the remit is:- my car runs at proper temperature

that can be achieved with tap water and 3 drops of washing up liquid if you really have to..... works fine for break in or emergencies... i wouldn't leave it though
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying