A little help on my build please/ frame suspension question

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Chargingatchya

A little help on my build please/ frame suspension question

Post by Chargingatchya »

So as many know and may have been following my build on my 69 charger, I’m getting hung up on a little issue I’m having and wonder if any one can advise….

So I have been meticulous with my measurements, however, when I installed my leaf springs and rear shocks (just some cheap Gabriel’s from rockauto to get the car on wheels) the right side frame rail seems to push up 7mm higher than the left at the rear.

The leaf spring hangers are an exact equal distance and measure the same on both sides.

I’m not sure if this much flex is normal and I’m just worrying about nothing, or if there is an cause I should be looking out for.

The leaf springs are the same ones that came in the car, they were blasted and restored but NOT tempered.

When I release the tension off the frame, its falls back to level….

It’s got me scratching my head, however I’m sure one of you Mopar geniuses can shed some light on the matter :lol:
morgan

Re: A little help on my build please/ frame suspension question

Post by morgan »

All I can tell you is that my charger certainly ‘bends’. Never noticed in the rear ( but never looked) but if you jack the front and pop axle stands under the frame rails and release the flex/bend is alarming !
Pete says some are even worse - can’t remember what he said but there were some mopars that banana !

I know that doesn’t help with your 7mm question, but they DO bend. ( whether one side bending more is a problem I don’t know)
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Do the springs have more leaves on one side?
I think the hemi springs have an extra leaf. If so that could be the cause.
Doubt it's anything to worry about. I think plenty of Mopar's have a bit of tilt to one side. My old Charger did!
Pete

Post by Pete »

The Mopar springs are more / thicker on the Pass side, and at rest they often sit high on that side to resist torque on launch.

That is also why when the battery is relocated to the trunk on race cars it is placed on the Pass side at the Rear.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Pete wrote: Mon Aug 02, 21 8:17 pm The Mopar springs are more / thicker on the Pass side, and at rest they often sit high on that side to resist torque on launch.

That is also why when the battery is relocated to the trunk on race cars it is placed on the Pass side at the Rear.
I never knew they were thicker on the passenger side. Every day's a school day!
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

yep, the ss springs like i've fitted to my valiant are marked left and right for that reason. on some american mopar forums they advise to fit 2 of the same side if you want your car to sit level.
neil.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Matt74 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 21 8:24 pm
Pete wrote: Mon Aug 02, 21 8:17 pm The Mopar springs are more / thicker on the Pass side, and at rest they often sit high on that side to resist torque on launch.

I never knew they were thicker on the passenger side. Every day's a school day!
Me neither. I knew RTs had extra leaf but thought others same. Cool !
My hotchkiss ones appear to be equal but are marked left and right.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

same size but one may be stiffer

same reason for the offset centre in the diff

lever (axle tube length) against spring is shorter on 1 side to counteract the reaction of the diff case when you are twisting the pinion with lots of torque and lots of tyre in contact with the road but not much forward motion.

diff tries to ram passenger side spring into the car and unloads that tyre some what.....shorter lever, from point of twist = less impact and less torque steer.

different length axle shafts also help combat a harmonic vibration that sees wheels alternate from traction to hopping to traction. i.e a shimmy rather than both wheels hopping at the same time.
modern camaro has a longer and thicker axle shaft on 1 side to avoid it, also camaro doesn't have cart springs and axle like we have but the idea is sound

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

also if its been off the springs for a long time it will take a few weeks to settle if just standing
a week or so if driven

worth replacing the end of leaf plastic sliders if you can

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Thank you all for responding and all the information. Sliders were replaced but I must have painted over the left and right marks and muddled pieces from each leaf spring doh! Never realised they were specific to each side! That pretty much answers it! Once cars running I intend to re do the suspension anyway so will just have to make do with it the way it is till then.

Thanks!
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

what's 7mm between friends? the factory didn't make them that good ;)
neil.