Floyd Brothers 70 Challenger

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Re: Floyd Brothers 70 Challenger

Post by Stu »

I’m hoping…. It’s ready to drive!

Will find out tomorrow, because I’m late now. :D
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Pete

Post by Pete »

Fingers crossed!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Stu

Post by Stu »

Happy to report no fuel leaks and battery overcharging woes seem to have gone thanks to the borrowed voltage regulator. :thumbright:

Went for a spin after having a bit of a game setting the float level on the secondary bowl and although it was running a bit rough, didn’t have any real issues. :rr:

Picking up vacuum gauge on Wednesday and will try and get it running right, but seemed to stutter under gentle acceleration so clearly haven’t got the mixture right. Alarmingly big jolt into drive and reverse too.

Overall, pleased to have learned a hell of a lot and put my ignorance and fear of carbs behind me. Now planning some plumbing upgrades for the near future and have plenty of time to do the alternator conversion at my leisure now. Props to Scotty Dave for the loan of the VR. :thumbright: :salute:

Happy gauges at idle and with a bit of throttle in the pics. 8-) :working:
Attachments
7BBA2A46-5B5B-429F-A743-C980B6D119DC.jpeg
7BBA2A46-5B5B-429F-A743-C980B6D119DC.jpeg (229.73 KiB) Viewed 545 times
7FBE3902-F099-42E3-B600-423D5C3075D3.jpeg
7FBE3902-F099-42E3-B600-423D5C3075D3.jpeg (225.17 KiB) Viewed 545 times

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Next jobs on the list. The top of the air cleaner housing is getting scuffed on the edges, which led me to believe it was fouling the bonnet under vibration, so spent some time trying to peer through gaps with a torch and think I only have about 1-2cm clearance, so going to order a drop base and refurb the top that I have. Bit of hose fettling needed, so with that and changing the alternator, thinking it’s a good enough time to swap out the electric fuel pump for the mechanical one and do some plumbing upgrades.

So next big bundle of reading up will be, how to install a mechanical fuel pump! I already have a new pump, so just need to figure that out and what to do about unplumbing ( :clown: ) the electrical feed to the old one. :read2:
Attachments
09AADE27-DE8D-4998-BB26-977A97C8B51A.jpeg
09AADE27-DE8D-4998-BB26-977A97C8B51A.jpeg (220.08 KiB) Viewed 539 times
2D075972-392D-4861-A38C-4698A9699334.jpeg
2D075972-392D-4861-A38C-4698A9699334.jpeg (155.33 KiB) Viewed 539 times

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Pete

Post by Pete »

Onwards and upwards!!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Stu

Post by Stu »

Small steps. I’m learning a lot, so as dumb as it all may seem to most reading, I hope it will help others who are maybe as clueless as me. :D

In good news Monday, Mancini order arrived this morning, so will figure out how to plumb that in through the week and see if I can get the job done at the weekend!

Can’t fault that service, less than a week to my door. I’ve ordered stuff from uk suppliers who “have it in stock” and still been chasing three weeks later. :roll:

:thumbright:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

If the kit doesn’t come with one, the correct multiplug will be available on eBay for a neat installation.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I think you are too harsh on yourself....

you never know unless you have a go

i think anyone who pulls a carb to bits for the fist time would be asking exactly the same questions..

every question you ask will be providing the answers to those who didn't or wouldn't ask

the discussions certainly helps me.... i am quite happy to blert out what i think, with no real concept of the consequences :) .... i need to be told to pull me neck in occaionally when what i think is ruuuubbbish.... :)

and the beauty (or curse) of a messagbaord is that its still there tomorrow for the next person to get a feel for the trails tibulations and successes..... don't get that on facebook

just think there will be a few challangers in the UK that in recent months got a new seal between boot floor and fuel filler pipe.....

and orders for holley rebuild kits will be on the up.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu

Post by Stu »

Blue wrote: Mon May 16, 22 11:52 am If the kit doesn’t come with one, the correct multiplug will be available on eBay for a neat installation.
This one? :)

Thanks Dave. I’ve no idea if anyone reads it or not or finds it useful or if I’m embarrassing myself, but it is what it is and maybe one day I’ll have stopped it all dripping everywhere and trying to set fire to me every time I go out. :D

Hopefully one day I’ll be able to go for a drive without sweating that I’m going to break down in a fantastically inconvenient place. :working: :lol:
Attachments
91519EC8-7F20-4D28-9A61-E023A33F950F.jpeg
91519EC8-7F20-4D28-9A61-E023A33F950F.jpeg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 510 times

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes that's the one!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Stu you are doing a great job and I for one read it all and learning, I hope.
We all have a go and make a mistake to start with but as Dave said if you do not have a go then you don't know.
Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing you and the car :thumbright:
Stu

Post by Stu »

Cheers Ali, glad it’s of interest. :thumbright: Hope to see you at Pod if all goes to plan! 8-)

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I always enjoy reading your stuff, Stu, and having a beer and chatting about it when we can😀.
I feel we’re kindred spirits, bashing around at these old cars, getting advice and improving them. Neither of us experts, but definitely trying to move forward and appreciating the advice given.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

I know you have it sorted now, plasticine is always hand for checking clearance where you can’t see the gap

Keep up the good work :thumbright:
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Stu

Post by Stu »

mopar_mark wrote: Tue May 17, 22 3:51 pm I know you have it sorted now, plasticine is always hand for checking clearance where you can’t see the gap

Keep up the good work :thumbright:
Cheers Mark. That’s a great tip, can’t believe I didn’t think of that! I’ll have to raid daughters craft draw and see if I can find some. :lol: I’ve been trying to find a drop base that will fit the same filter as the top, as I’d like to keep it matching the rocker covers, but not having much luck finding one the right size that I can guarantee will clear the transfer tube. Looks like Mancini may do one, but was hoping to find one in the uk as I just got my last order for them so a bugger to pay more shipping. #-o

Miles, always good to catch up for a beer, Mate. Glad it’s useful and yes, I am definitely thankful for the advice received, as I fell in love with a hobby that my brain doesn’t work the same way as, so doesn’t come naturally to me. :D Probably should have got into painting them instead! :lol:

I’m now into looking at the whole plumbing system and researching what I want, as it feels like I’m probably into looking at it all in one go if I’m looking at fuel pump swap as well. Considering upgrading fuel line front to back and future proofing at the same time, but lots of reading to be done.

Think it’s time to sell some more parts… :lol:
Last edited by Stu on Sat May 28, 22 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435