Carburettor advice

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Re: Carburettor advice

Post by Blue »

AED ultra 650 is also a very good carb…

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aed-u650ho-bk
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Pete wrote: Tue Nov 23, 21 5:50 pm CAUTION REQUIRED.

You need to make sure the Fuel rail matches the actual carb.

IF it has a secondary metering block, the Fuel Rail needs to be LONGER as the spacing between Float Bowls is different.

Select the Carb first and then the Fuel Rail if you go that way.

Again - personally, I use AN Braided Hoses and proper fittings into the Float Bowls from the Regulator..... slippery slope.... makes jet changes and servicing easier..... I'll get me coat.....
Don’t get your coat yet I still need you 😂

The link showed various fuel rails figured one of them will be correct.

Il look in to braided lines to the float bowls, yet again, thanks Pete!
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Blue wrote: Tue Nov 23, 21 6:03 pm AED ultra 650 is also a very good carb…

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aed-u650ho-bk
Il check it out! Thanks!
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

also what fuel pump you use decides if you even need a pressure regulator. a stock pump (in keeping with the road car theme) won't need one at all. a recent engine masters episode i watched showed stock replacement mechanical pumps are not a hp restriction (on the dyno at least) until getting on for 500hp. a road spec 383 will be just fine with that for sure. just thinking about the old saying ''kiss, keep it simple stupid'' (no offence meant of course).
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Agreed, Neil, it's just a nice tidy elegant solution; and good to go if you decide at some point that more power is required....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

Whilst a stock pump might support 500hp on a dyno I can assure you when its trying to drag fuel 15 ft up a fuel line against g force it won't. My advice would be 3/8" sender for the tank, 3/8" fuel line, Carter mechanical pump then a filter and -6 line to the regulator and carb. A simple system that will get the job done with some capacity to spare. I use black hose with push on fittings from torques on eBay to plumb the carb, it looks stockish to the untrained eye unless you want something a bit more bling.
Attachments
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG (193.18 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Back of the net!

8-) 8-) 8-)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Blue wrote: Wed Nov 24, 21 10:48 am Whilst a stock pump might support 500hp on a dyno I can assure you when its trying to drag fuel 15 ft up a fuel line against g force it won't. My advice would be 3/8" sender for the tank, 3/8" fuel line, Carter mechanical pump then a filter and -6 line to the regulator and carb. A simple system that will get the job done with some capacity to spare. I use black hose with push on fittings from torques on eBay to plumb the carb, it looks stockish to the untrained eye unless you want something a bit more bling.
Iv literally just finished installing 5/16 fuel line 😩

Will it not support it? Thought I was going (mainly) stock so replaced what was there before. Will this be an issue? About to pull the trigger on the quick fuel carb you recommend as it seems to fit the bill perfectly…
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the stock size fuel lines will work fine for a 'cruiser' as you said, as will a stock pump. obviously if you think you may upgrade the engine later you may as well do the fuel system upgrades now instead of doing it twice but if not keep it as is and carry on.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Blue wrote: Wed Nov 24, 21 10:48 am Whilst a stock pump might support 500hp on a dyno I can assure you when its trying to drag fuel 15 ft up a fuel line against g force it won't. My advice would be 3/8" sender for the tank, 3/8" fuel line, Carter mechanical pump then a filter and -6 line to the regulator and carb. A simple system that will get the job done with some capacity to spare. I use black hose with push on fittings from torques on eBay to plumb the carb, it looks stockish to the untrained eye unless you want something a bit more bling.
you're absolutely right for that engine, but..... he only wants a weekend cruiser with no racing planned. so the 5/16'' lines and stock pump will be just fine i think you'd agree? :D
neil.
Blue

Post by Blue »

If you’ve already run 5/16” lines leave it at that, it will be fine for what you’re doing right now. I’d assumed you weren’t at that point yet so was suggesting you go up a size to future proof it somewhat at no real extra cost. These projects have a habit of starting off in one direction and then going off in another!
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Blue wrote: Wed Nov 24, 21 11:16 pm These projects have a habit of starting off in one direction and then going off in another!
So true, my supply is now 5/8” :D :D :D
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

I really doubt il ever be going race car route. If I can make 400bhp that will be more than enough for what il ever use the car for. 90% of the time il have my wife & kids in the car with me.

Thanks for all your responses you have all taught me enough to make an informed decision and a plan for the next step of my build.

You guys are friggin awesome and this place kicks the crap out of FB. The level of quality and mature, professional advice really does stand out. Really glad I found this place.

Now, let’s go shopping… the Christmas list is gonna be hefty this year. I will palm off as much as I can on to that list, let the Mrs pay for it 😂
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good luck.

We are not really advocating the "Race Car" route.
Most of the suggestions are about ease of installation and a standard commensurate with the rest of the level of the build for not a significant amount of money.

Anyway, 400bhp sounds a lot, but it's surprising how fast you come up to speed on a big American car and that does not translate to an excessive amount of power.

My road going 'Cuda makes about 450bhp, the '57 is 630bhp, and the Race Car is 800bhp.... all on Carbs.

Mark makes about a million, but that's on twin turbos and injection!!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Blue

Post by Blue »

And you (sorry I've forgotten your name :oops: ) are the lifeblood of forums, the person willing to have a go, ask, listen and post what they are doing, without that the forum is dead. Facebook has its uses, forums can't compete with the footfall that's for sure, but they are very different beasts.