Old Race Cars never die...they just get quicker!!

Post old photos of race cars here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Post by Jim »

I don't think Tim is right about that.

He may be confusing it with the 1971 440-6 Cuda I had at the same time in the 70's. Mine was Curious Yellow. Both Cuda's were regulars at the Harrow burger van (we used to call it the Pie Stand for some reason?)

Nope, I am sure that 340 was blue.
I just wish I could remember his name.....
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

yeah thats the trouble when your talking about things that went on 30yrs ago.......jees that sounds frightening...30yrs ago!!!.....

Did a few Chelsea Cruises with the 340 and used to drive it to the meets in the early days, even took it down to Tony Dicksons once in Kent to buy some perf parts....true street/strip car that....
On one occassion my mate persuaded his missus to sit in the passenger seat for once when we were at Chelsea cruise, she had just bought herself fish & chips and was about to tuck in....I was trying to pull out onto the bridge and saw a gap....well that was a mistake cos that car used to hook up on street rubber....up came the front end and all her chips went all over her....lucky she had good sense of humour .... :oops:, her old man got a serious talking to for laughing his head off though....magic days

Do you remember Ashleys Hemi Challenger?...
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, i have just arrived in Austria, it's lovely here...

Well, I think I do know the Hemi Challenger. Is that the one a magazine got hold of, and eventually ended up with Richard Ward and restored to its original glory?

The other regular Mopar at Harrow was Graham Baldwin's 70 R/T Challenger.
Then there was the Hemi Road Runner convertible Kevin Pilling turned up in around 1977/8. That thing flew.
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

there were so many nice cars around that time that I don't remember many of them..only a few stick in the memory sadly.....I think Tim has some of the rarest cars at the mo inc the green AAR340 Cuda...gonna make that a Trans Am type car again with 5speed and stroked SB last I heard....
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Just found this shot of the old car...3500lb x 10" slicks x leaf springs x foot braked auto x 375hp =
Attachments
0cuda launch.jpg
0cuda launch.jpg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 9075 times
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

Who`s got some photo`s of the "HEMI CHALLENGER" :? :? :? was it yellow?

:P :P :P
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Who's got photo's of the Hemi Roadrunner convertible (think it was a 69 but definately red) I remember the driver getting a Bananarama! from the commentater for getting it sideways at the Pod during a lunchtime parade Last heard of rumored to be left in a disused church in the middle of a wood somewhere in Nottinghamshire :shock:
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Jim...Tim came with me to Heathrow 2 buy that car...he said the fender tag said FY1 which apparently is Lemon Twist or Top Bannana if its a Dodge.......never been a fender tag/colour sort of person really...
Jim

Post by Jim »

It was a long time ago. It definitely wasn't yellow when I first saw it. It could have been painted any time.

I bought a red 71 Road Runner because the fender tag said I was FJ6 - Sassy Grass Green. I had to have it.
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Jim wrote:It was a long time ago. It definitely wasn't yellow when I first saw it. It could have been painted any time.

I bought a red 71 Road Runner because the fender tag said I was FJ6 - Sassy Grass Green. I had to have it.
yeah doesn't really matter.....its been a few better colours than it is now anyhow.......
Cannonball

Re: Old Race Cars never die...they just get quicker!!

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:Here's a pic posted on F of me old '71....what a tool that is now...528 Ray Barton Hemi last I heard, now back halved from the looks of it, so from low 12's w/340 when I had it to 10.9 with a 440 when Pete austin had it and now prob mid 9's??...in Iceland with the Hemi :)
i owned this for a short while it actually ran a 10.4 on spray with the 440 it always sounded very healthy,,

the racing log was faultless that came with the cuda
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

You didn't own my K code as well did you Dunc, that would make all the cars I ever had, apart from the charger :lol:

Did you sell it to Iceland then?....and make ££££££'s!! :thumbright:

Les
Pete

Post by Pete »

I am sure Hugh sold Pinkie to Iceland when it was a 440.
Maybe even as a roller?

I have sat in that car at the Pod, I think, and it had seen better days by then.

I seem to recall a story that it went through a shop window?

All adds to the Myth, I suppose..........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:You didn't own my K code as well did you Dunc, that would make all the cars I ever had, apart from the charger :lol:

Did you sell it to Iceland then?....and make ££££££'s!! :thumbright:

Les

i sold it to hugh he used it through a summer he put it back on the street then ran it at the mopar nationals on treads ran a mid 11 he pulled the mtr and i went through it freshened it but yes he did sell it to iceland as a roller, and the engine is now in a jensen,, the one that jon connoly fancies,,

yes it had got a little rough but that was sweet it was an angry dog racecar but i did hate it in pink,,,,,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Guy

Post by Guy »