Granada 2.8i Ghia X

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

latil wrote:Didn't the South Africa home market cars come with a 302 as standard?
The Perana or something like that. Think they did in the Capris! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

drewcrane wrote:Just wondering what platform did they use? that is nothing like the grenades they sold here in the states.

Cool looking car for its vintage :thumbright:
Not sure,I suspect it was European market only and quite well sorted in the handling department for a big car,unlike the Granada my Cousin who worked at a Garage in the States took in trade in,he described it as a "Dollar Car" which was very appropriate.

I believe they built the MK1 Granada with a 302 in South Africa.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

The South Africans did put 302 V8's in Mk I Granada's, as well as Mk I Capris but also in two door Sierra's as XR8's.

The XR8's were factory but the Mk I Capri and Granada were Perana's.

They put 3.0 litre Essex V6's in Mk IV and V Cortina's as the XR6 as well.

And, put Chevy V8's in Vauxhall Firenza's.

I had a Mk I 3.0 litre L Granada. I have never seen another base model L with the 3.0 litre and a manual box. Ford metallic rust brown and cream vinyl roof and interior. Smooth and comfy car .... but, try getting a headlamp for one now :shock:
Dodge This, Cat That

drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Captain Chaos wrote:
drewcrane wrote:Just wondering what platform did they use? that is nothing like the grenades they sold here in the states.

Cool looking car for its vintage :thumbright:
Not sure,I suspect it was European market only and quite well sorted in the handling department for a big car,unlike the Granada my Cousin who worked at a Garage in the States took in trade in,he described it as a "Dollar Car" which was very appropriate.

I believe they built the MK1 Granada with a 302 in South Africa.

It is interesting they never offered that car here, probably has to do with the right hand drive,and they didn't want to spend the money to convert them,they just gave them the same name ,I have never seen one like yours ,looks kind of like a benz in the back, cool car
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Thanks.

They are still very popular with the Banger Racing Crowd due to their speed and strength at a recent Granada only meeting there were 150 of them present. I shall be keeping a very close eye on mine I can assure you.

Sandy,A V8 Firenza? Now we're talking 8-)
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Granada's were all the rage where i grew up. Bit of a "good 'ol boys" type town, with a banger track nearby.
A 1982 2.3L manual was my first (legal) car after passing my test, then a 1979 2.8 Sapphire Ghia, followed by a 2.8i Ghia X converted to a 5 speed manual. There was a 2.8 Sport as well (red with white wheels!)
Love 'em. Was a fully paid up member of the Granada Enthusiasts club for a number of years in the nineties.. :oops:
Rust round the rear screen was a killer..

I killed one of them showing off, sliding it round a roundabout in Basingstoke. Lost it, and bounced it sideways up a high curb. Everything was bent. How i didn't roll it i'll never know....
Aaaaahhhh, great days..... :hello1:
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Nice one OctanejunkieðŸ‘￾

2.8i sport is and was a rare bird indeed,mine is proving somewhat recalcitrant in my efforts to return it to the road. Rebuilt dizzy,various items in the fuel system replaced and making good years of scotch lock style rewiring . I may be down but I'm not beaten yet.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I DO like a Granada, I had several.... the 2.8 V6 got nicked by Joy-riders and torched..... :roll:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God