Wheel stud size

Moderator: Moderators

v8rumble

Wheel stud size

Post by v8rumble »

Can anyone shed any light on what size thread wheel stud will be on my 69 Superbee are they UNC?
Dave999

Re: Wheel stud size

Post by Dave999 »

1/2 inch 20 i think unless you have a six cylinder A body or an Aussie car

then they may be 7/16th

if its pre 73??? it may have left hand thread on the drivers side

alloys use longer studs than steel wheels

make sure you get the right type for your wheels

nut and flat washer used on hub centric wheels or multi fit wheels only and these have to be centred by the hub. hubcentric wheels

nut with profile used on steel wheels and alloy wheels with a steel insert and work with hub centric and not hub centric wheels as the profile to the nut centres the wheel

flat nuts with profiled washers work the same

sleeve/shanked nuts with profile tend to be used on hubcentric and non-hub centric wheels where the sleeve or shank on the nut centers the wheel along with the profile of the nut head.

if you wheels use sleeved nuts make sure the sleeve doesn't bottom on the fat bit it the base of the stud before the nut seat hits the insert or seat in the mounting hole. your wheels will fall off

if the nut is an acorn or cap nut enclosed at the outer end check also that the studs are not too long

wheel is held on by friction between it and the hub, the studs just supply force to create that friction. no friction = snapped studs.

if wheels have been painted or powder coated remove all traces from the nut seat area or be prepared to tighten the nuts every day until the action has totally removed the coating in the nut seat. having lost 3 of 5 nuts on the front wheel of a loaded van, where the tools where in a box under the load and the van was in the middle of edgeware road 5 pm on a friday i'm tres cautious these days. hub caps have their uses as nut collectors

find your car on rockauto and order to correct studs

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
v8rumble

Re: Wheel stud size

Post by v8rumble »

Thanks for the very comprehensive guide.

I need longer studs to fit a brake kit to convert the drums to discs but retain the original wheels.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=158