Where to find a key code/number?

Moderator: Moderators

deppmobile

Where to find a key code/number?

Post by deppmobile »

Morning!

I need to find the code for my key so I can get into the tailgate. All the other locks are really worn, so the worn key works everything bar the hardly used rear tailgate. Having said that, the key I have may not be the right one for the car at all !

Does anyone know if a key code is stamped on any of the locks anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

Gerry
Dave999

Re: Where to find a key code/number?

Post by Dave999 »

if there is it will be inside the lock
what car? as in vintage

best bet is take out the back seat lift off the fibreboard divider (may as well repair it now they are always a mess)
and send a small person through the biggest gap in the triangulation struts
arm then with a torch and a screw driver so they can trip the catch

once open you can take out the lock
push the barrel out of it
stick yer key into it
see which of the 6 or 7 sliders still sticks out when the key is in
and grind off flat to the barrel the ones that stick out

its a bodge but it works you now have a lock barrel that is cylindrical and able to turn in it housing when the key is in but won't turn when it is not or the wrong key is in. its just not as safe as it was due to you grinding the ends off the sliders

if you have the time and the inclination you can change the order of the sliders in the lock
position and orientation (i.e upside down) might take a while any of the 6 sliders could be in any of the 6 positions and either the right way up or upside down... (6x5x4x3x2x1) X (6x5x4x3x2x1) X(2x1) / (6x5x4x3x2x1)(2x1) i think... combinations, can't remember how to work permutations and combinations 6!x6!/ something ANYWAY back on track

to get it to better fit the key.

or get a lock smith to do a key for you...its a bit involved and will cost quite a bit
helps if you take another boot key with you for reference , so he knows where each of the sliders sits on the key blank before he starts to mke the key fit the situation

boot lock is a 1 sided key so its easier than an ignition lock 2 sided offset, which is a bit more of a carry-on

or to be honest get a new one on ebay.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying