Challenger Steering Wheel

Moderator: Moderators

newsatten

Challenger Steering Wheel

Post by newsatten »

Question
can one get a replacement Steering Wheel and suitable boss that does away with the crash can??
Seems to me the Challenger must have been designed to be driven by a Tyrannosaurs Rex :D
When im comfortable reaching the brake/Throttle the Stupid Wheel is too close to my chest!
Thanks for looking
Pete

Re: Challenger Steering Wheel

Post by Pete »

Use a "Grant" wheel and appropriate Boss - I have one on my Challenger.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MattH

Post by MattH »

We got a new Grant wheel for £30 at the swap meet (last event of 2020!). Boss cost me a further £50 and had to come from the States (this is for a Chevy but similar set up). I'd like to do similar with the Challenger as the driving position is odd to say the least and a smaller wheel will reduce the Power Steering lightness.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Tuff steering wheels also fit, good quality and leather though they're pricey. https://pgclassic.com/256-bs-c-mopar-a- ... ing-wheel/
20150302_161816.jpg_thumb.png
20150302_161816.jpg_thumb.png (464.46 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Cheers guys, so something like a Grant Wheel and Boss does away with the crush Can???
Which would be ideal, as even with a dished Wheel it would still be moved away from me, plus a smaller Wheel would make it easier for me to get in and out of it when its its in the garage!
I really dont have much room! :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

I have an E body 'woodgrain' wheel in nice condition. Vinyl is green but could be re-dyed.

I used to have it on my Coronet, but you may have to source an adapter to work without the crush can on an E body.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll dig it out of the garage.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Yes, you can dispense with the crush can. Here's a pic of my column with Grant wheel, no crush can, and Challenger column cover (the curved dish). The only thing I had to do was to bend the indicator lever as it caught my hand when driving. YMMV
P1040731.JPG
P1040731.JPG (171.14 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

the other option is to reconfigure the seating arrangement for normal human occupancy.

if you take out the seat
make sure padding and springs are up to the task of cosseting your backside in the appropriate manner...bum should not be able to hit the metal frame... originally you would have sat ON the seat. if you are practically folded double by its Bucketness it needs attention. you should not feel like your ass is stuck in a oil drum and you can't get out

then instead of using the spacers, that space the frame runners from the floor as designed

put a fold of old inner tube between runner and floor at the front and stick the bolts right through
Then 2 of the 4 plastic spacers are now used each side, at the back

this tips the seat forward slightly, meaning you naturally need to move it back 1-2-3 notches on the runners to get the right thigh support when working the peddles depends on how long,fat and strong your legs are or indeed how heavy your clutch and brakes are

it also helps by making a bigger gap between wheel and seat front

it raises the rear of the seat, so you can now set the seat back in a more reclined state, but still have a very good view of both front corners of the car.

with the seat back adjusted back a smidge or so, it is actually reclined at shoulder level 3-6 inches further back than it was, your arms now have a chance of being in that 55-75% extended position that is more useful for a little spirited driving.

i.e you no longer look like granny driving with her nose pressed to the screen and the bottom of the steering wheel making a dirty mark across the front of her cardigan.

in in ideal world with a rear wheel drive car you want your head positioned in the car at the point (fore and aft) around which the whole car will pivot if you overcook it in a corner and loose the back end...luckily most of our cars are set up like that, more or less from the factory. i.e we sit nearer the heavy bit but its not the pivot for this axis, with the gearbox and diff mid and at the other end of the car, the drivers seat is. A mid engine car usually has seat(s), nearly in the middle for same reason, the middle is in this case the pivot point

if you achieve that you improve your chances of handling the situation without incident, very little g force then applied to your head while you register what has happend and resist the temptation to lift off immediately before working out your next move.

front wheel drive, always pivot around the weight of the engine/gearbox/diff,front axle nigh on impossible to keep your head if you loose it, and have not lost it before.... i guess practice is necessary
and its more likely to be a 4 wheel mess as the g forces actively try to force you to lift off the throttle ....... the unexpected G force will always be a problem and catch you unaware

FWD safer, less likely to loose it but more dangerous when you do, erm well yes, and really hard to drive in snow with fat tyres without traction control... gimmie a snowy day and a ford cortina on skinny tyres and i'll show you a man who can.........get to the shops and back.
3rd gear all the way driving on the edge of a stall, completely predictable handling....
On the other hand switch off traction control in an audi A4 and i'll show you that i can't. Terrifying, unnerving, FWD idiocy, with no electronic aids, every loss of traction messes with your head, i'll see you in a hedge somewhere.

i've gone completely off piste

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

:D

Yeah i saw something about spacing the seat rear fixings, i'l give it a go, still want a new shiny wheel though!
and a tad smaller, just to ease getting out the car in the garage.

been on to grant they do a billet boss, that takes new style wheels, but it almost as long as the crush can so wont gain anything with one of those
so it will have to be old school 3 bolt type wheel, but ill look into the other option that Mark cam up with.

I tried to order my wheels and tyre's this week but Northants cant do four ARE's that match lol, theres supposed to be a new delivery in a few weeks,

Any body got any opinions on these wheels? some scathing words on the web regarding quality issue,s with American Racing since theve been made in China????
Pete

Post by Pete »

MrNorm wrote: Fri Jun 12, 20 2:48 pm Yes, you can dispense with the crush can. Here's a pic of my column with Grant wheel, no crush can, and Challenger column cover (the curved dish). The only thing I had to do was to bend the indicator lever as it caught my hand when driving. YMMVP1040731.JPG
Exactly the same set up in the Race car, with the exception that I bobbed the Indicator stalk.

Customville supplied the correct Boss for me... they als odo an "Intermediate" length can if you wish too (In fact I have a spare one...)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

You just need longer legs. :D
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

:D
Or wear platforms lol.................

As i dont seem to be able to get a nice billet type boss thats half the length of the crush can, im thinking standard Grant Boss, fairly deep dished,and
a bit smaller in diameter than the one thats fitted, i may get away not having to reshape the indicator stork??